Backup and Rebuild Question

Post by Dave Bus » Sun, 21 Apr 2002 00:44:56

I've got an E420 which was build incorrectly (strangely partitioned).  It
has been up an running and being backed up at the file system and directory
level by NetBackup.  What I need to do is build up another box (also an
E420) creating the correct partitions and then migrate the data from the
original box.

My question is this:   Can I restore whole file systems such as /opt /var
/usr /etc from my backups an overlay them onto the newly created box?  What
potential problems might I encounter?

Thanks very much for any help!!

Dave

Backup and Rebuild Question

Post by Dennis Vanambur » Sun, 21 Apr 2002 09:17:06

Dave,

of course you can restore whole file systems.   What i would do boot
from the cdrom to single user mode (boot cdrom -s from OpenBoot) on
the new system,
and partition the drives to your liking, make and mount the
filesystems, then bring up the network interface (for example ifconfig
hme0 plumb; ifconfig x.x.x.x netmask x.x.x.x up), then on the other
machine do a ufsdump of each partition into a file, and transfer it
over via ftp to your new machine and do a ufsrestore per partition,
then issue an installboot and you should be working like a cat's ass!
Just make sure you create the new filesystems with enough space.

- Dennis

-----------------------

fredonia | Dennis Vanamburgh
fredonia | State University of New York

fredonia | http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~vana2801

Post by Doug Freyubrg » Wed, 24 Apr 2002 03:51:42

> Can I restore whole file systems such as /opt /var
> /usr /etc from my backups an overlay them onto the newly created box?

Yes.  Restore happens to directory trees, for almost all types of
restoration.  As long as /opt, /ar, /usr, /etc all exist as directories
it should work fine.

Quote:> What potential problems might I encounter?

The restoration goes into directories.  So, if they are now mount
points and you forget to mount them before starting the restoration
you will fill up root.  Restorations don't go around mounting stuff
for you.

Restoration also goes where it used to be in most cases.  If you grow
/opt and shrink /usr, and then restore them both, you may fill up the
new /usr and fail on the restore.  You must plan ahead on what goes
where.