Help! How to boot a Tektronix XD88/30 into single-user mode?

Help! How to boot a Tektronix XD88/30 into single-user mode?

Post by Greg Ear » Thu, 06 May 1993 07:34:22

We have a little-used Tektronix XD88/30 workstation here for stereographic
image processing.  It is only used for stereo images and as such, is not
logged onto very often, and rarely by "root".  On a recent reboot, it said
that a partition was corrupted and to "run fsck manually".  Unlike a Sun
(which we are far more familiar with), this thing kept booting and came up
into multi-user mode anyway!  Unfortunately, there was only one person who
knew the root password, and he's forgotten it :-(  (and he didn't write it
down either, arrggh)

We need to boot it into single-user mode to do the manual "fsck", but without
root we don't know how.  There is a reset button on the inside of a front
panel, but it causes a complete reboot - it doesn't bring it down to a PROM
level or anything like that.  If there is a keyboard sequence - a la L1-A on
a Sun - to bring it to PROM level where we could do the equivalent of a Sun
"boot -s" for single-user mode, we don't know what it is.

Any help would be appreciated.  Please respond directly to me.

Thanks in advance,

--

Sterling Software/Jet Propulsion Laboratory     UUCP: ...!elroy!earle
Section-wide Member of Technical Staff          Phone: (818) 354-6007

1. Q: What is a Tektronix XD88/30

Hello all,
Sorry if this is not the correct group.
I have been offered a Tektronix XD88/30.  My problem is I am not familiar
with the Tek product line and have never seen one of these before.  Any
info or pointers would be appreciated.

PS. Is there a Tek newsgroup?
--

2. Linux and Win98 dual boot.

3. Tektronix XD88/30: looking for info

4. forwarding mail with sendmail

5. Ultra 30 - in single-user mode screen flashes while in "vi"

6. Connecting to Linux file system from Win95

7. Why Solaris Boot in Single-User Mode?

8. tcsh 6.05 (Solaris and NIS) ?

9. Installed 2.4, but it only boots up in single-user mode?

10. How to boot in single-user mode?

11. how do you boot a rios in single-user mode?

12. can't boot into single-user mode

13. booting a server into single-user mode