su login

Post by nchee_hoon » Mon, 23 Sep 2002 02:19:01

Hi ;
   I have seen some people some login to root typing "su" from normal login
. Other might type "su -" . What are difference between "su" and "su - " ?

su login

Post by Jim Hollenba » Sun, 22 Sep 2002 12:18:44

: Hi ;
:    I have seen some people some login to root typing "su" from normal login
: . Other might type "su -" . What are difference between "su" and "su - " ?

One maintains present login session, the other acts as if a new session
was started. man su will reveal the difference.

--
Jim Hollenback

my opinion.

su login

Post by news.gtech.co » Sat, 28 Sep 2002 05:55:52

When you su - you will assume the environment (.profile, .cshrc) of the
person your su'ing to. Using su without the -
keeps your existing environment variables.

Mike

?

> One maintains present login session, the other acts as if a new session
> was started. man su will reveal the difference.

> --
> Jim Hollenback

> my opinion.

1. su login or using the RHS root login window

I would like to be able to login as root from another account.  I can do
so using su but linux won't let me use any programs or shell scripts
owned by root.  Furthermore when I type env under a root login
(logged in from another account) I get the other accounts information,
not roots.

2. How can I get the firmware data from a prompt?

3. su login

4. httpd 1.5a under linux 1.2.13

5. Su Login

6. optional dns via scripts + multiple-ip's

7. Sol2.3/NIS+ keyserv/su/login/authdes problem tracked

8. Diamond Stealth II S220 driver released by XIG

9. su, login.defs, environment variables

10. Q: How to change disrupted SU Login Shell

11. Restrict root use su login?

12. 'su --login user -c command' doesn't run loggin scripts

13. su login troubles