Print serving for DOS machines on a UNIXen

Print serving for DOS machines on a UNIXen

Post by Jamie Thingelst » Mon, 31 Jan 1994 05:48:22

Scenario:

I have a UNIXen doing main server responsibilities for a number of
Macintoshes and DOS-boxes (a couple of OS/2 sprinkled in as well). I
have various LaserWriter's located at each cluster of machines.
Currently the DOS boxes print by having direct connections to the
laser printers, but this won't work for much longer.

Can I use a spooler on my UNIX box that will capture either Apple
LaserWriters or HP LaserJet 4siMX? And can the DOS boxes spool to the
UNIXen's queue?

This whole problem only exists because we don't use Novelle for the
IBMs, but instead they get drive over pcnfs. Ideas?

--
= *  File  Edit  View  Label  Special ================== Jamie Thingelstad
 612.626.7846 (W)  612.625.5572 (F)                  Technical Coordinator

Post by Peter L. Hu » Mon, 31 Jan 1994 18:18:51

>Scenario:
>I have a UNIXen doing main server responsibilities for a number of
>Macintoshes and DOS-boxes (a couple of OS/2 sprinkled in as well). I
>have various LaserWriter's located at each cluster of machines.
>Currently the DOS boxes print by having direct connections to the
>laser printers, but this won't work for much longer.
>Can I use a spooler on my UNIX box that will capture either Apple
>LaserWriters or HP LaserJet 4siMX? And can the DOS boxes spool to the
>UNIXen's queue?
>This whole problem only exists because we don't use Novelle for the
>IBMs, but instead they get drive over pcnfs. Ideas?

Won't PCNFS do this for you?  I've got an HP-lj on my sparc, and the
PCs lanned to it with PCNFS print on it.  It isn't perfect, it pukes
on huge print jobs, but I think that's our lousy configuration of
the lan....

Cheers,
-P.

>--
>= *  File  Edit  View  Label  Special ================== Jamie Thingelstad
> 612.626.7846 (W)  612.625.5572 (F)                  Technical Coordinator
> 101 Pleasant St SE, 12 Johnston, Mpls, MN 55455       Disability Services

--

Zoologiska Institutionen   | defrayed in part by page charge payment. This
Stockholms Universitet     | article must therefore be hereby marked

1. NFS Serving Dos machine, problems

Greetings:

I am running a Ultra Sparc running 2.4. I have several
directories that I am exporting via NFS. Most of my users are
running Windows machines, with OnNet 2.? as their network software.
I have ONE user who is not able to mount any of the NFS drives
in windows. He can see the server, and can see what partitions
are available, but when he pushes the "connect" button we get:

        Failed: Remote not licensed.

I have tried the following things:

        0) Checked other dos machines to see if I could add the same drive
           - not a problem.
        1) Made sure that his machine was in the dfstab file
        2) checked to make sure that his machine had credentials in the
           cred.org_dir.domain_name.
        3) verified that both sides were using the same machine name
           for his machine.

I recently had to reset this users password in admin tool, but He can
ftp,rlogin, etc, from his machine, just fine.

What bothers me is the idea that a windows machine would know to send
NIS+ credentials in the first place.
        Our local windows support people have checked his machine out,
and declared that its a problem on my end.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Matthew D. Clark

--
                        Matthew D. Clark
                God Help Me.  I Came Back For More.

2. RFD: comp.networking.prod.lantastic

3. Mount DOS on DOS machine from LINUX on LINUX machine

4. BASH Frequently-Asked Questions

5. printing from a DOS machine on a UNIX printer

6. halt -p too fast ?

7. How to print from dos remote machine

8. Tamarack Scanner /SuSE Linux 7.1

9. Can't Telnet of Ftp to my machine _from_ a DOS machine.

10. ethernet: dos machine <--> linux machine

11. Printing from Solaris 2.2 machine to 4.1.3 machine

12. Using SGI machine to print from aix machine

13. What is minimal machine to run as router/gateway/web-/mail-server?