Controlling access to workstations

Post by Henk M » Wed, 29 May 1991 00:01:37

In our department we are using a server (DECsystem 5500, Ultix 4.1) en a number
of client DECstations. Passwd en group files are distributed through yp. Every
research group has its own group entry. I'm looking for a simple to maintain
mechanism to assign workstation access (login, rsh, etc.) to one or more groups
and/or users, but to continue the usage of yp. I'm sure this has been done
before so any practical solution is welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Henk Mos

Henk J. Mos, Dept of Physics and Astrophysics, Utrecht University

Controlling access to workstations

Post by Oren Sha » Fri, 31 May 1991 19:14:43

Okay, Okay, Once and for all, this is how it is done:

1) Create netgroups (in /etc/netgroup), including the users list
   for each workstation. e.g.:

ws1_users               \
        (,jenny,)       \
        (,jim,)

ws2_users               \
        (,jack,)        \
        (,greg,)

etc.. (of course, you may use any valid combination of previously defined
groups, etc.)

2) the password file of each workstation, should include all non humans and

   and that's all. This will allow only users of group ws?_users to acess that
   workstation.

There are some improuvments to this basic scheme that may come to mind, but
this is the basic idea.

Cheers,

--

   /  / /     Faculty of Engineering, Tel Aviv univ.
  /  /  ---   Israel

1. Specific Permissinon Control//Access Control List for Linux?

Is there a way that a regular user (non superuser) on Linux can
specifically control which other users can see his files?  For
example, suppose I want a certain friend to be able to read certain
files but not anyone else.

On the (old) HP's at Idaho State this can be done with an Access
Control List, which each file may have.  The draw back is that
consumes a little more diskspace.  Is something like this possible
within Linux?

John Thompson
--
http://www.isu.edu/~thomjohn/

2. Damn SB PCI64 !! HELP !!

3. How to do IP access control AND password control

4. UUCP-NEWS-MAIL-FAQ: Linux UUCP/News/Mail Frequently Asked Questions

5. http access to access-controlled information

6. AMD-K6 233Mhz and Solaris 2.7

7. Access control in Apache: how to combine domain restriction and login access?

8. Problem with CheckSpelling in version 1.3.23.

9. Control workstation in standalone environment

10. SP cluster + Control Workstation: HowToInstall

11. remote control PC ---> UNIX-Workstation

12. control workstation AIX level

13. Personal Root Access on Research Workstations?