Del and Backspace keys

Post by Hans_Pattenie » Sat, 20 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Hi,

On my Sun keyboard I've got a <Backspace> and a <Del> key.
Using stty I managed to get <Backspace> working (it deletes the
character to the left). The Del key however does the same.
How do I tell the del key to delete the character right of the
cursor position ???

My keyboard also has 12 functions keys, of which none are used.
Is it possible to attach a command or string to a function key ?

I'm running SunOS 4.1.3 and Openwin

Thanks,

Hans Pattenier

1. Backspace key becomes ^H in mail, man, etc; DEL key becomes ^[[3

I've read some(most?) of the FAQ's on using the Backspace/DEL key,
but I think my problem is a little different and I'd be grateful for any
help.
Generally, running bash in an xterm, the Backspace/DEL keys works the
way I want it
to work. Same for vi.
However, in MOST command-line applications such as openssl, mail, man,
nslookup
the backspace key becomes a ^H instead of erasing the character before
the cursor
which is pretty annoying, especially since the DEL key turns into its
escape code
^[[3 for these same apps - no way to delete anything.
Does anybody know the solution to this problem or at least where to
start looking?

Thanks

Al

2. Good Fax Solution for Unix Sought

3. Can't get [Backspace] key to register ASCII DEL

4. RedHat trying to access Internet

5. BACKSPACE & DEL keys on remte systems

6. Help: Gold Star (Reveal) CD-ROM Drive Not Detected

7. Need help switching DEL & BACKSPACE keys

8. Interactive Scripts, return codes

9. Backspace acts like "Del" key

10. Netscape -- backspace/del keys not working

11. backspace, del keys mapping

12. Newbie question 02 - My DEL key acts as BACKSPACE

13. Can the BackSpace key send an ASCII Backspace (^H)?