DNS lookups - SunOS 4.1.1

Post by Jacob Langfor » Tue, 21 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

Our IP numbers changed in a recent network expansion that gave us
an extra bit for our host numbers :)

There is a lone, crusty machine whose uname -a command gives
  SunOS 4.1.1 2 sun4

and who can no longer resolve host names, and who has *no* man
pages installed.

The startup script uses ifconfig to explicitly set IP number, netmask
and
broadcast addresses.  The /etc/resolv.conf file contains valid
DNS servers,
and the nslookup command works fine.

I didn't find any place to explicitly set the gateway address, and there

is a file /etc/networks containing entries of "name  a.b.c" etc. that
may
have an outdated network name or something.

Does anyone know what we may need to set to fix the problem?

1. SunOS 5.7 and DNS lookups

    I've got a new Sun box with SunOS 5.7. I'm installing applications like
sendmail 8.11 and so far I'm having a problem with DNS lookups. I've
installed my two nameservers in the /etc/resolv.conf file and can do
"nslookups" perfectly but my applications like Netscape or sendmail can't do
the DNS lookups. Is there something I'm missing?

--

      Bill Dunn

2. APACHE AND BSDI

3. SunOS ld says: calrelco symb lookup botch

4. update seq_file to support single_open()

5. DNS - reverse lookup & timeout

6. Commentary Summary: AKA Andres manipulation...

7. DAMN WINDOZE!! Triggering ppp -auto w/dns lookups...

8. stty:: Unknown Error

9. APACHE: How do you turn off DNS lookups?

10. Command Line DNS Reverse Lookup

11. Reverse DNS lookups

12. DNS lookup

13. DNS lookup failure?