TAR Files on SCO Unix reading on Linux or PC based Unix (ie. Solaris, Linux)

TAR Files on SCO Unix reading on Linux or PC based Unix (ie. Solaris, Linux)

Post by HELP M » Fri, 14 May 1999 04:00:00

Does anybody know if it would be possible to take a TAR file from a SCO Unix box and read and
successfully extract the data stored within it on a PC based Unix Platform ie.. linux..

thanks,

Lee

TAR Files on SCO Unix reading on Linux or PC based Unix (ie. Solaris, Linux)

Post by Russell Aspinwal » Fri, 14 May 1999 04:00:00

Yes it is, I did have a problem in '94 with Solaris 2.4 Intel reading
SCO tar files due to
block size but tar xivf <tar file> worked. I have not used it recently.
Moving tar files between
different versions of Unix has only been a problem recently when the
file was over 4GB due
to different file size limits.