Which device name?

Post by Gary Roble » Thu, 03 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Hi everyone.

I have been designated an SA at work but have never had any training
and do not know all that much about unix.  With that said, let ask my
quiestion.  I have been ask to write a backup script to be run manually
by other SA's (not by cron since other DB backups are being run at
those times).  I need to backup certain file systems on different Comm,
Data servers, and the NIS master.  My script should accommodate all
systems and do either a full or partial backup.
Well, I've figured most of this out but am having difficulty figuring
out the best way to determine which device driver is on that system.
The servers have a default cartridge tape but some have 8mm tape drives
attached.  And the NIS masters will just be backed up to the server
temporily.  I can't figure out how I can tell which device drive name
to use (/dev/rmt/?)  How can I tell since all the systems have
different configurations?  is there a simple way or will each SA need
to enter their own device name?  And if so what would be the best way
to allow for block size/tape length?

I used cpio for this script but was wondering if that's the best way to
go for a backup?

Any suggestions will be welcomed and thanx in advance.

I know that was a mouth full but I need help bad.  Sorry!
Please send response to my e-mail address.

Gary Robledo

Which device name?

Post by Pedro Serran » Thu, 03 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Gary,

I'm not an expert either but a good source is the /etc/device.tab and/or
/etc/device.tab.rd files on SVR4 systems.   It contains a wealth of
information on all devices on your system, including description for the
yy, yn and nn tape devices (you know, open-no-rewind, etc).

As far as cpio, hey it's great for a quick backup.  For a bare bones
unix system backup bring the system down to single user, with the
filesystems unmounted, since, on systems where /usr is a separate
filesystem, there are a few select libraries and scripts under the mount
point so it can still function when /usr is not mounted.   This will
allow you to recover the essentials in case of a disaster.

There are some good commercial network backup tools out there of which
the only one I have personal experience with is Alexandria Spectralogic.
Functionally, it does great, but the user interface is so quirky, and
not all GUI functions can be performed at the command line.   Last I
heard they were improving both.

Good luck,

Pedro Serrano