performance monitoring tool?

Post by Liedong Zhe » Sat, 18 Sep 1993 02:16:49

Hi:

I would like to get input on performance monitoring tools, we are running
a Sun clone 4.1.1, under a T1 link, from xload, it is about 0.1, however,
we do expect some network traffic, telnet takes about 30 seconds to
prompt from remote login, no job can be done via this T1 line, just too
slow.

could someone suggest some PD tools that one can monitor the load on
cpu, as well as network traffic, right now, we are not sure what the
problem is.

Thanks in advanced!

Post by Brian Fitzgera » Tue, 21 Sep 1993 22:01:47

Quote:Liedong  Zheng writes:
>I would like to get input on performance monitoring tools, we are running
>a Sun clone 4.1.1, under a T1 link, from xload, it is about 0.1, however,
>we do expect some network traffic, telnet takes about 30 seconds to
>prompt from remote login, no job can be done via this T1 line, just too
>slow.

>could someone suggest some PD tools that one can monitor the load on
>cpu, as well as network traffic, right now, we are not sure what the
>problem is.

You might try rperf:

rperf -- performance monitoring of network hosts

"rperf" is free software, written by me, and posted to
comp.sources.misc, vol 39.  Archie has the locations now.  Otherwise,
mail me for the code.

Brian

Quote:>From the README:

rperf is similar to xmeter, or SunView perfmeter, but is intended for
use on ascii terminals or for logging.  rperf obtains system statistics
from one or more network hosts and prints them to the standard output
at periodic intervals, in a format similar to rup, vmstat, and
netstat.  rperf reports on cpu load, disk activity, network interface
activity, and virtual memory activity.

If installed as rup, the program prints the hostname, uptime, and load
average once, then exits.  A hard or symbolic link to rperf may be used
for the installation.

1. Performance Monitoring Tools in Heterogenious environs

I am investigating packages to perform system monitoring and fault detection
in a heterogenius Unix environment. I am looking to monitor SunOs 4.1.3,
Solaris 2.X, and HP/UX systems. I am currently looking at the features
of the following packages:

HP Perfview, Aim Sharpshooter, Compuware Ecosystems, Patrol,
Teamquest Baseline, & Instrumental Perfalert.

I am wondering if anyone has benchmarked/implemented any of these systems.
If so, I would really like to hear your thoughts or talk about your experiences
with them.

Thanks much-
Mat Atkins
Staff Technologist - Engineering Computer Services
Cisco Systems
408-526-4594

2. Redhat V4,0 Does'nt execute Shell scripts !!! Heeeeeeeeeelp !

3. Performance monitoring tool

4. Quake for Linux fails

5. performance monitoring tool

6. Customizing X windows desktop

7. Performance Monitoring Tools

8. help with ps2 mouse (selection)

9. Web Performance Monitoring Tools

10. New server performance monitoring tool

11. Performance Monitoring Tool

12. Graphical performance monitoring tool

13. Performance monitor tool