NetBSD vs. Linux vs. Solaris on SPARC

Post by 05081 » Wed, 01 Aug 2001 10:33:35

Hi, dear sysadmins.

I've just got a Sun SPARC Station LX (sun4m class), 50 MHz, 96 MB ram,
2.1 GB HD. It comes with a Solaris 8 installed, which is painfully slow.
I've heard that both NetBSD and Linux have sparc version of their OS,
but don't which one is better, in terms of performance, stabability,
software support, and etc., on the sparc platform. Could anyone with
insight care to enlight me a bit ;) thanks.

Ed.

Post by Dave Hi » Wed, 01 Aug 2001 22:42:23

: Hi, dear sysadmins.

: I've just got a Sun SPARC Station LX (sun4m class), 50 MHz, 96 MB ram,
: 2.1 GB HD. It comes with a Solaris 8 installed, which is painfully slow.
: I've heard that both NetBSD and Linux have sparc version of their OS,

I *think* the linux port is only for Sun4U class (Ultra) processors.
Works great on an ultra5, for what it's worth.  I think, though, that your
sun4m is going to be painfully slow no matter what.

You might want to spend some time checking out the auctions on eBay -
Ultra5's are going for, apparently, more than $400, but less than
$800 (the $800.00 one has no bids).

Dave Hinz

Post by Nick Bachman » Thu, 02 Aug 2001 01:42:38

> (is there a StarOffice for NetBSD or Linux or will Xemacs
> be just fine)?

StarOffice is native to Linux.

--
                Regards,
-----------------------------------

"To Boldly Go Where Angels Fear To Tread"
        -From the Infocom Game "Stationfall"
----------------------------------

Post by Jamie Norwo » Thu, 02 Aug 2001 01:45:14

>: Hi, dear sysadmins.

>: I've just got a Sun SPARC Station LX (sun4m class), 50 MHz, 96 MB ram,
>: 2.1 GB HD. It comes with a Solaris 8 installed, which is painfully slow.
>: I've heard that both NetBSD and Linux have sparc version of their OS,

> I *think* the linux port is only for Sun4U class (Ultra) processors.
> Works great on an ultra5, for what it's worth.  I think, though, that your
> sun4m is going to be painfully slow no matter what.

> You might want to spend some time checking out the auctions on eBay -
> Ultra5's are going for, apparently, more than $400, but less than
> $800 (the $800.00 one has no bids).

> Dave Hinz

I know where you can get an Ultra2 for $1400. *duck, cover, run*

Jamie

Post by Dave Hi » Thu, 02 Aug 2001 03:18:26

: > (is there a StarOffice for NetBSD or Linux or will Xemacs
: > be just fine)?

: StarOffice is native to Linux.

Not on Sparc, unless this has changed very recently.

Dave Hinz

Post by Drago » Thu, 02 Aug 2001 09:15:56

> : > (is there a StarOffice for NetBSD or Linux or will Xemacs
> : > be just fine)?

> : StarOffice is native to Linux.

> Not on Sparc, unless this has changed very recently.

> Dave Hinz

Hi
There is a version of star office for the sparc platform I have just
installed solaris 8.

And use Sar Office on some of the machines

Kev.

NetBSD vs. Linux vs. Solaris on SPARC

Post by Dave Hi » Thu, 02 Aug 2001 22:18:29

: >

: >
: > : StarOffice is native to Linux.
: >
: > Not on Sparc, unless this has changed very recently.

: Hi
: There is a version of star office for the sparc platform I have just
: installed solaris 8.

Nick said "StarOffice is native to Linux", I said "Not on Sparc", meaning
that my comment was a modification of the previous message.  In other
words, *yes*, there is a linux version, *yes*, there is a Solaris/Sparc
version, but *no*, there is not a linux sparc version.

I'd love to have them release StarOffice for Ultralinux.  Anyone know if
there's a "planned features list" for StarOffice?

Dave Hinz

1. NetBSD vs. Linux vs. Solaris on SPARC

Hi,

I've just got a Sun SPARC Station LX (sun4m class), 50 MHz, 96 MB ram,
2.1 GB HD. It comes with a Solaris 8 installed, which is painfully slow.
I've heard that both NetBSD and Linux have sparc version of their OS,
but don't which one is better, in terms of performance, stabability,
software support, emulation, and etc., on the sparc platform. Could
anyone with insight care to enlight me a bit ;) thanks.

Ed.

2. slackware installation

3. Linux vs OS2 vs NT vs Win95 vs Multics vs PDP11 vs BSD geeks

4. Dynamic Language

5. Benchmarks x86 Solaris vs Linux and Solaris 2.6 x86 vs sparc

6. gnome workspace-next key?

7. Sparc 5 vs Sparc 10 vs Sparc 20

8. Bit Shifting question

9. SunOS 5.6 vs Solaris 2.6 vs Solaris 7 vs Solaris 8

10. Evaluation pointers: x86-Solaris vs x86-NT vs SPARC-Solaris

11. NetBSD vs SunOS vs Solaris as firewall?

12. Linux VS free BSD VS netBSD

13. NetBSD vs FreeBSD vs Linux?