Why suddenly no nice boxes and lines?

Post by Chris Lambrig » Mon, 26 Dec 1994 04:43:24

I'd previously compiled the latest version of gopher (2.2.1 or such) and
had used the curses program 'ncurses' which I had to compile as the
local AIX curses didn't work. Well, things went fine, and the various
screens in gopher showed nice boxes, corners, etc..reallll pretty.

It had been fine for a few months, but just yesterday when using it
myself I noticed that things are back to +---------------+ style lines
and boxes, and I've no idea why. I've tried checking the vt100 terminfo
entries and as far as I can tell they haven't changed. So, I'm wondering
if anyone might have any ideas about what could affect things on a
system such that the alternate character set doesn't apparently get
used any longer.

Chris

/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

    Univ. of N. Texas                         Compuserve 71712,472
/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

1. Nice. Nice nice nice.

So I'd heard about this Linux thing - let's face it, you can't spend
any more than a year online and NOT hear about it unless you're under
some cybernetic rock - and always felt I ought to give it a try at
some point. Picked up the friendly yellow 'For Dummies' book which
came with three CDs of RH7.0. Lots of nice hand-holding throughout the
install process (which got me safely through a major glitch when the X
installer, starting up reasonably enough in a no-risk 640x480, got the
screen geometry totally wrong and was illegible, and pointed me in the
right direction for LOADLIN when lilo couldn't cope with Linux being
at the back end of a big drive) and I soon got into the OS. Got it
online, no worries. Well, this is nice, I said to myself, but
eventually I largely forgot about the system lurking at the other end
of my drive and returned through force of habit to Windows95.

But not willing to just plain give up (there's a principle involved,
dammit!) I sent off for the RH7.2 CDs when it came out. Fifteen quid.
Well, bugger me sideways... this new KDE is seriously slick, it just
*feels* faster, smoother, the lot. I'd imagine a lot of the discussion
of new distributions on here centres on technical aspects of kernels
and so forth, but speaking as a Windows refugee fleeing the imminent
prospect of XP's Big Brother pirate protection, it's looking like
Linux can become a happy home.

So much so, in fact, that I'm planning on getting myself a new
computer in a year or so, and having whatever the latest RH Linux is
as the main OS. Bill's not seeing another penny if I can help it...
(he says, posting with a Hotmail address in a slightly embarrassed
tone)

Odds are a fair number of people reading had some input into this nice
new OS I'm using now, so I just have to say, thanks guys.

2. A4 CIS Scanner

3. HELP: Suddenly can't telnet to my linux box...

4. The Size of SLS

5. my main box suddenly refusing ssh connection from my laptop

6. LINUX does NOT suck...

7. att@home cable modem on linux box suddenly stops working

8. problems compiling uudeview code with tcl7.5/tk4.1

9. my X clients die suddenly under remote X, why?

10. Why has my 'last' command suddenly stopped working?

11. Linux Puzzle! Why is my server Suddenly Slow?

12. FreeBSD: Suddenly very slow on LAN, FAST on internet - why?

13. Why did our NFS suddenly turn stupid?