Help on Unix dd command

Post by Suma Vasudev » Thu, 15 Apr 1993 12:35:10

Some one please help me with this small problem:

I need to make an EBCDIC dump of few files on to a 9 track
magnetic tape. I am working with Sun OS 4.0.3.

I used the unix  dd  command  along with mt,  but I can't
get more than one file written to the tape. Seems like every time
I write a file the tape rewinds to the beginning of tape.

Thanks in advance,

Suma.

Help on Unix dd command

Post by Phil Bro » Thu, 15 Apr 1993 22:30:05

: I used the unix  dd  command  along with mt,  but I can't
: get more than one file written to the tape. Seems like every time
: I write a file the tape rewinds to the beginning of tape.

: Thanks in advance,

I'm not sure what device names are like on the sun, but use the
non-rewinding tape device.   /dev/*.1 or /dev/*n or something like
that.

        Phil

--
The Mitre Corporation         | "Welcome to Mousebat, Follicle, Goosecreature,

Error: funny.saying not found |  Vetter, and Prang."   -- Adrian Wapcaplet

Help on Unix dd command

Post by Mike Gro » Fri, 16 Apr 1993 09:45:01

>: I used the unix  dd  command  along with mt,  but I can't
>: get more than one file written to the tape. Seems like every time
>: I write a file the tape rewinds to the beginning of tape.
>: Thanks in advance,
>I'm not sure what device names are like on the sun, but use the
>non-rewinding tape device.   /dev/*.1 or /dev/*n or something like
>that.

Under SunOS, the nonrewinding device name is /dev/n*. For example, if you
have a SCSI tape connected to /dev/rst0, the nonrewinding device name is
/dev/nrst0.

Mike Gross
Physics Board and* Observatory
Univ of California                             GO SLUGS!!!!
Santa Cruz, CA 95064

1. HELP ASAP - Unix dd command

I am trying to find the "dd" command information that will help me to
write one or more commands that copies a double sided double density
diskette to the hard disk and back to a freshly formatted diskette.  I
have gone through about 15 books, manuals, and man pages and as far as I'm
concerned - it ain't gonna happen.  It seems so cryptic!

2. IPX support and nmbd error

3. dd command: extract single files out of a dd-file

4. Is there a aix util like windows scandisk? (null)

5. Creating first two LINUX disks with UNIX DD command

6. can you link to more than 1 library?

7. Need DOS port of UNIX "dd" command.

8. Microsoft kills (H)ardware (A)bstraction (L)ayer in NT5/W2K

9. Help with "dd" command

10. help with dd command - EBCDIC to ASCII

11. Help using the dd command to write to sector 2.

12. Changing all date fields from mm/dd/yy to dd/mm/yy

13. dd | remsh dd under AIX 1.2