Veritas File System & Volume Manager Question

Veritas File System & Volume Manager Question

Post by freed.. » Fri, 09 Feb 2001 10:13:43

Hi,

  Our Sun E3500 server is running Solaris 2.6 and Veritas Volume Manager
2.5.  We have two VM group - "rootdg" for root and mirror disk which are
encapsulated; "appdg" for other VM volumes.
  We are planning to upgrade the Volume Manager to 3.0.2 and install
the Veritas File System w/ Quick IO on top for all mount points in the
system, including /, /usr, /var, /home
  We want to preserve the OS and content of root and can do away with
appdg.
  What's the safest way to do this ?? Any particular procedures or
sequence of events you recommend ??

  Thanks for your help.

Bill

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Veritas File System & Volume Manager Question

Post by Carlos Plarr » Fri, 09 Feb 2001 12:30:41

Hi
 First of all make a bakup with ufsdump (as I understand, Veritas
Filesystem is not installed yet, so you may use ufsdump)
 in
 single user mode for All filesystems.

 I never recommend mirroring the OS Filesystems with Veritas
 Volume Manager. Use Solstice Online Disksuite, and the reason
 is the ease of recovery in case of a crash. I've had some
 problems where I had to restore the rootdg from scratch and was
 VERY HAPPY not having to restore the os. Also, if you do the
 upgrade, it is safer to deport the appdg diskgroup BEFORE you
 begin the upgrade. What I do is to put 2 partitions (on different disks
and different controllers) from 10MB each (very
 small) to
 set up the rootdg. Those appear as 2 different disks with nothing on it
and as part of the rootdg. They can be part of
 the disks of the OS (partition 7 for example, at the end of the disk).

 The other thing I do also NOT recommend is to put the os with
 Veritas Filesystem because of 3 reasons:
 -In case of a crash, it's easyer to recover.
 -You do not gain much performance if you use VxFS on the OS.
 -I do not use shrinking on the OS filesystems, I plan instead plenty of
diskspace. I reserve 512MB for root, 512 for
 /var and 1GB for /usr, although I know I will never use it. It's just
for preventing that those fill up.

 It is MANDATORY that you apply the latest patches either for DiskSuite
and for Volume Manager.

 The other one. ?Is there a reason that you upgrade to version 3.0.2?
Veritas Volume Manager version 3.0.4 and
 perhaps later is out there.

 If you want to preserve the OS you may not install DiskSuite, but
please keep in mind that it's for High Risk in case of a
 crash.

 It's a good moment to do a redesign (to use DiskSuite for Example) in
your system. Please try to make some exercises
 on another system before you put hands on the production system.

 I hope it works, and I would like to hear from your experience. Please

--
Carlos Plarre
Brainbench MVP for UNIX Admin

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

1. Veritas File System & Volume Manager Question

Hi,

  Our Sun E3500 server is running Solaris 2.6 and Veritas Volume Manager
2.5.  We have two VM group - "rootdg" for root and mirror disk which are
encapsulated; "appdg" for other VM volumes.
  We are planning to upgrade the Volume Manager to 3.0.2 and install
the Veritas File System w/ Quick IO on top for all mount points in the
system, including /, /usr, /var, /home
  We want to preserve the OS and content of root and can do away with
appdg.
  What's the safest way to do this ?? Any particular procedures or
sequence of events you recommend ??

  Thanks for your help.

Bill

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

2. nVidia GeForce MX400 Support?

3. APM Probmlem: Feezes On Boot

4. Mounting Volume Manager File Systems without the Volume Manager software

5. dvorak keyboard

6. Difference between veritas volume manager and Sun StorEdge volume manager?

7. mail question

8. Sun Volume Manager/Veritas Volume Manager

9. (Issue) Upgrade from Sun Enterprise Volume Manager to Veritas Volume Manager

10. Solaris 9 volume manager OR Veritas volume manager ?

11. Solaris9 Volume Manager Vs Veritas Volume Manager

12. Veritas Volume Manager vs Sun Volume Manager