Discussion on Syslog Configuration

Post by n.. » Mon, 05 Feb 1996 04:00:00

I recently reworked the syslog configuration for a client.  They have
about 12 SunsOS and Solarises.  I was trying to think of a sensible way
to organize syslog so you could see the important stuff reasonably quickly
and quickly preview the less important stuff.

Here's what I decided to do, after no better idea emerged:

I organized /var/log into two directories, byfacility and bylevel.
Then on the Loghost (most everything goes to the log host) I have it
broken down so that information and debugging messages go to
/var/log/bylevel/info.log, warning and notice messages go to
/var/log/bylevel/warning.log, and then the critical and emergency
messages go to /var/log/bylevel/danger.log.

Then I break them down by facility so that anything of a *.notice
goes to it's facility file in /var/log/byfacility, for instance,
there's a /var/log/byfacility/lpr.log, one for daemon, another for
mail and so on.

I rather like the way it turned out.  So then I wrote a tool to
report on and compress the various logs and so on.  However, what
I really think would be neat would be a tool to display logs,
filtered in various ways, in HTML.  Has anyone done that?
How have other people dealt with syslog configurations?

--
Nancy Milligan          Milligan Consulting Services

                        Internet Connectivity, Firewalls, Usenet, WWW
                        http://nmcs.com

1. Tuning syslog/Syslog reporting/Syslog enhancement/replacements

Hello,

        I have been investigating using syslog's logging facilities. I have
currently set up our network to log to a central logging host. In my
preliminary attempts, I have set up syslog to dump everything to a single file,
which gets messy. I've sorted out the files now, and I have noticed that
certain applications such as telnetd and ftpd write to the LOG_MAIL facility.
Is there
a way to alter the logging facility that they report to, or will I have to have
modified binaries to handle this? I'm mostly concerned with our AIX machines
but we also have HPUX, Sunos/Solaris, and OSF. I could very well have it dump
all
information and sort out the data based on rules I develop using
sed/awk/perl/grep (whatever), But it would be nicer if it were done by
syslog/programs writing to syslog.

        Also, is anyone familiar with any other logging utilities? I would be grateful
for some help/advice or some pointers to where to find this information.

Thanks for your help.

Adam

2. nfs on "minimal system"

3. creating different syslog file /var/log/syslog.0 /var/log/syslog.1...

4. KDE2.0.1 and ossl

5. syslog daemon configuration file ?????

6. One more question

7. syslog configuration

8. Looking for JEAN FRANCOIS GAGNON

9. Help with pop3d syslog configuration