8mm Tapes for Exabyte Mammoth Drives

Post by Paul J. Reimol » Thu, 13 Nov 1997 04:00:00

We recently got a new system equipped with the Exabyte Mammoth drive (40
GB compressed).

I attempted to order 170M AME tapes (regular 8mm tapes can't be written
to) and was told that Exabyte is allocating them and a ship date could
not be determined.

Are the tapes really that scarce? Or do I need a different supplier?

How can Exabyte possibly hope that the Mammoth will become a mainstream
tape drive standard if commodity supplies like tapes are simply
unavailable?????

--
**        Paul J. Reimold                UNIX Administrator
**

Post by Dan Birchal » Fri, 14 Nov 1997 04:00:00

> We recently got a new system equipped with the Exabyte
> Mammoth drive (40 GB compressed).

Wow!  And here we are with "only" an EXB-8700 (14Gb max).

Quote:> I attempted to order 170M AME tapes (regular 8mm tapes
> can't be written to) and was told that Exabyte is
> allocating them and a ship date could not be determined.

I'm presuming that the AME designation is the important
part - we're using 160M tapes here, but I haven't heard of
AME.  It must be higher-capacity.

Quote:> Are the tapes really that scarce? Or do I need a different
> supplier?

My mama said, you better shop around... :)  In all
seriousness, though, I can't think of the last time we
bought something without contacting multiple suppliers
first.

Quote:> How can Exabyte possibly hope that the Mammoth will become
> a mainstream tape drive standard if commodity supplies
> like tapes are simply unavailable?????

This is the first time I've heard the Mammoth even mentioned;
is it a new unit?  If it's just been introduced, they may not
be up to full quantities on the production line yet.

-Dan

--
Dan Birchall - Internet Sysadmin - 16 Straight Communications
520 Fellowship Road, Suite A-112, Mount Laurel, NJ 08054-3400

8mm Tapes for Exabyte Mammoth Drives

Post by Mario Starga » Sat, 15 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

>This is the first time I've heard the Mammoth even mentioned;
>is it a new unit?  If it's just been introduced, they may not
>be up to full quantities on the production line yet.

>-Dan

I've been reading ads for the Mammoth drive for a couple of months now
in various places.  Sun Expert is one rag that comes to mind
immediately.  Mammoth is competing directly with DLT.
        I have a Quantum DLT drive and just love it.  The seeks
through the dump files are incredibly fast.  How's the seek time
through the Mammoth tapes?  I understand that they are using the
helical scan method (DLT uses a stationary head with serpentine tape
path).

        Cheers,
                Mario

--
Mario Stargard                  |  "Security for an OPEN World"
Corporate LAN Administrator     |  Network security solutions for

Post by Chris Kin » Mon, 17 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>> How can Exabyte possibly hope that the Mammoth will become
>> a mainstream tape drive standard if commodity supplies
>> like tapes are simply unavailable?????

>This is the first time I've heard the Mammoth even mentioned;
>is it a new unit?  If it's just been introduced, they may not
>be up to full quantities on the production line yet.

Mammoth drives have been around for a little while, and boy, are those
AME tapes scarce ! The big problem seems to be (correct me if I'm wrong)
that they're only manufactured by Exabyte at the moment, nobody else is
geared up to produce them as yet.

We've tried several suppliers, and they're all saying that the Mammoth
tapes are difficult to get hold of - they're also very expensive, the
best price we've been quoted to date was 51 UKP in batches of 10.

Our Mammoth is a bit temperamental, and needs cleaning on a regular
basis - having said that, it's fast, and we could more than double our
current disk capacity without having to worry about buying another tape
drive.

Chris
--
Chris King

http://www.csking.demon.co.uk

8mm Tapes for Exabyte Mammoth Drives

Post by Bob Bak » Fri, 21 Nov 1997 04:00:00

We must have hogged up the last big bunch I have 200 of the puppies.

Now as for Mamoth drives, we've been using them, and their performance is
outstanding, however, and I know this is a Sys Admin No No, but READ THE
DOCUMENTATION if you want to get the performance out of the drives.

There is a string that you need to enter into the /kernel/drv/st.conf file
as follows

1.  remove the # from the line
     #tape-config-list=

2.  look for the line that reads
    # "EXABYTE EXB8500C", "Exabyte 8500C Helical Scan", "EXB-850X",

3.  On the next line enter
     "EXABYTE EXB-8900", "Exabyte Mammoth","mam-data";

4.  Find the line that reads
    # "EXB-850X = 1,0x29,0,0xce39,4,0x14,0x15,0x8c,0x8c,1;

5.  On the next line enter
    mam-data=1,0x29,0,0x1de39,1,0x7f,0;

6.  Save the st.conf file

7.  Reboot that sun box of yours

Now make sure that these fields are exact if they aren't you are screwed.
Then the tape drive acts like an old reel to reel drive.  Good luck and
remember READ YOUR DOCUMENTATION.

the Reverend bOB

Post by Scott Packar » Wed, 26 Nov 1997 04:00:00

> >This is the first time I've heard the Mammoth even mentioned;
> >is it a new unit?  If it's just been introduced, they may not
> >be up to full quantities on the production line yet.

> >-Dan

> I've been reading ads for the Mammoth drive for a couple of months now
> in various places.  Sun Expert is one rag that comes to mind
> immediately.  Mammoth is competing directly with DLT.
>         I have a Quantum DLT drive and just love it.  The seeks
> through the dump files are incredibly fast.  How's the seek time
> through the Mammoth tapes?  I understand that they are using the
> helical scan method (DLT uses a stationary head with serpentine tape
> path).

I believe there's an EEPROM built into each DLT tape, storing
some location info for every file, in order to speed up file retrieval.

--
---
Scott Packard

Post by Raymond N Shwa » Sun, 30 Nov 1997 04:00:00

>> I've been reading ads for the Mammoth drive for a couple of months now
>> in various places.  Sun Expert is one rag that comes to mind
>> immediately.  Mammoth is competing directly with DLT.
>>         I have a Quantum DLT drive and just love it.  The seeks
>> through the dump files are incredibly fast.  How's the seek time
>> through the Mammoth tapes?  I understand that they are using the
>> helical scan method (DLT uses a stationary head with serpentine tape
>> path).
>I believe there's an EEPROM built into each DLT tape, storing
>some location info for every file, in order to speed up file retrieval.

        You may be thinking of Sony's new AIT offering (also licensed to
Seagate), which includes 16K or so within the tape housing. Given that a
server backup often transcribes thousands of files, such an on-board Table
of Contents seems of limited value. I'm unaware of any such facility on DLT.

8mm Tapes for Exabyte Mammoth Drives

Post by J.C. Archambe » Sun, 30 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> We recently got a new system equipped with the Exabyte Mammoth drive (40
> GB compressed).

> I attempted to order 170M AME tapes (regular 8mm tapes can't be written
> to) and was told that Exabyte is allocating them and a ship date could
> not be determined.

> Are the tapes really that scarce? Or do I need a different supplier?

> How can Exabyte possibly hope that the Mammoth will become a mainstream
> tape drive standard if commodity supplies like tapes are simply
> unavailable?????

The problem is that Exabyte has only one manufacturing plant that is
producing the Mammoth tapes.  We have had tapes on back order
from MicroAge for at least the past two months.
--
/*

*/

8mm Tapes for Exabyte Mammoth Drives

Post by Chris Kin » Mon, 01 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>The problem is that Exabyte has only one manufacturing plant that is
>producing the Mammoth tapes.  We have had tapes on back order
>from MicroAge for at least the past two months.

I've heard rumours that Sony may be producing them as well - anyone know
if this is true ? And if so, are they any good ?

At one point, we even had *suppliers* offering to buy AME tapes back off
us at a premium - not something you want to hear when you're down to
your last tape !!
--
Chris King

http://www.csking.demon.co.uk

Post by Mr Cheuk Kong » Tue, 02 Dec 1997 04:00:00

: >The problem is that Exabyte has only one manufacturing plant that is
: >producing the Mammoth tapes.  We have had tapes on back order
: >from MicroAge for at least the past two months.

: I've heard rumours that Sony may be producing them as well - anyone know
: if this is true ? And if so, are they any good ?

*Heard* that too. And Sony tapes costs about 40% less than Exabyte...

-- Linux + FreeBSD + HPUX + Solaris + AIX
#include <std/disclaimer.h>

8mm Tapes for Exabyte Mammoth Drives

Post by Peter C. Tribb » Tue, 02 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> *Heard* that too. And Sony tapes costs about 40% less than Exabyte...

I presume that Sony will make mammoth tapes - after all, they're simply
AME tape like AIT but in a different case. In any event, Sony AIT tapes
cost more Exabyte mammoth tapes. (But you do get more data per tape.)

--
-Peter Tribble
HGMP Computing Services

1. Exabyte Mammoth 8mm drives

Exabyte is supposed to be coming out with a so-called Mammoth
8mm tape drive.  It's rated at 20 GB (although that may be the
compressed capacity).  I already know I won't be using compression.
My data is quite random, and compression generally makes files
LARGER not smaller, plus it burns time.  Anyhow, I won't be
using compression, period.  Don't want it.

What I DO want is the faster IO it offers.  The IO rate is
supposed to be at least twice what my current model 8500 exabytes
do now.

Oh, I MUST have helical scan, for compatibility reasons.  The
DLT tapes are therefore not eligible....

My point (and I do have one) (nod to E. Degeneres) is,
does anybody know when these are coming out?  Anybody have
anything to add?  I want them real bad.  Like four right
now, and maybe another four after while....

j.
--
Jay Scott               512-835-3553

Applied Research Labs, Computer Science Div.
University of Texas at Austin

2. Q: Freezing Mouse

3. Can the Risc-6000 8mm tape drive read Exabyte tapes?

4. Chair-Pak !! a backapck with a built in Chair !!

5. Exabyte Mammoth tape drive information??

6. Negotiated content and implications for caching.

7. Printing with Lyx (again)

8. using 14gb 8mm tape drive to write tapes for 2gb tape drive

9. dump on one 8mm tape drive not readable by another 8mm drive ?

10. Do reliable 8mm (Exabyte drive) tapes exist?

11. NCR 8150S PCI SCSI with an Exabyte 8200 8mm tape drive?