logfile rotation monitoring scripts

Post by Schadi » Fri, 29 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Hello,

I'm searching for a ressource where I can get scripts (perl, shell or
whatever) fot logfile rotation and monitoring of the server (discspace). I
think there should be somewhere a script that is configurable to gz or tar
files and directories and rm them when they are too old. And a script that
informs me when the disks are at their (configured) limit.

Any help or information is welcome.

Greetings,
Martin Schade

Post by Benedikt Stockebran » Fri, 29 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> I'm searching for a ressource where I can get scripts (perl, shell or
> whatever) fot logfile rotation and monitoring of the server (discspace). I
> think there should be somewhere a script that is configurable to gz or tar
> files and directories and rm them when they are too old.

There exists a program "newsyslog" by Ted T'so.  It's at least
standard with the FreeBSD core system (the only OS I've got at
hand right now and here).

Quote:> And a script that
> informs me when the disks are at their (configured) limit.

I think you'd have to write that yourself.  The actual limits could be
configured, but I think there's at least half a dozen ways how to
"inform" you about overflowing data[1].

I've once given this as an exercise to some people I was tutoring
about system administration.  The whole thing is fairly easy to do
with a shell script if you can pin down what exactly you're after.

So long,

    Ben

[1] Immediately coming to mind:
    - Send a message to my pager/cell phone
    - Send me e-mail
    - Notify me via write
    - Notify everyone via wall, rwall
    - Produce a "daily report" e-mail
    - Notify some monitor tool on my desktop machine
    - Sound an alarm on /dev/audio somewhere
    - ...

--
Benedikt Stockebrand, Dipl. Inform.       http://www.ruhr.de/home/devnull

   Unix- und Netzwerkmanager auf             Unix and network manager
der Suche nach einer neuen Stelle.            looking for a new job.

1. Logfile rotation and monitoring scripts

Hello,

I'm searching for a ressource where I can get scripts (perl, shell or
whatever) fot logfile rotation and monitoring of the server (discspace). I
think there should be somewhere a script that is configurable to gz or tar
files and directories and rm them when they are too old. And a script that
informs me when the disks are at their (configured) limit.

Any help or information is welcome.

Greetings,
Martin Schade

2. sound programming

3. Logfile rotation

4. X problems (errorno 111)

5. rotation of syslog logfiles

6. 3 Com 3C900 Ethernet-card and RedHat 5.2

7. Logfile rotation with Roxen

8. Which inexpensive video card ?

9. Logfile Rotation

10. beating to death...another logfile rotation question for Apache

11. Logfile Rotation

12. Need a script that monitors logfiles for specific words!

13. logfile rotation with ln -s(f)