On-line Users' Guide

Post by dibul.. » Fri, 16 Apr 1993 02:58:14

Subject:  On-line Users' Guide

I am currently working on designing an on-line users' guide for our UNIX
systems.   The guide will include information about local policies,
utilities, and hardware.  It will also include information on some of the
more frequently used unix commands, but rewritten in a simpler form so that
the average user does not have to decipher a "man" page.

Has anyone developed a guide for your site?  If so, do you have any
suggestions or recommendations?  I have been speaking with some of the
users at my site for suggestions and everyone agrees that the simpler the
guide, the better.

Basically, I am looking to develop some sort of menu-driven program which
needs no instructions on its use and will be easy to maintain.  I am not so
much looking for a program, but am looking for ideas in organizing and
managing the data.  If you can offer some help, please send me e-mail.

                                Thanks in advance,

                                Diane Affleck
                                Dept. of Army
                                Chemical, Biological, Defense Command
                                Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD
                                COM: 410-671-2625
                                DSN: 584-2625

On-line Users' Guide

Post by R. Stewart Ell » Fri, 16 Apr 1993 12:09:59

Quote:>Subject:  On-line Users' Guide
>I am currently working on designing an on-line users' guide for our UNIX
>systems.   The guide will include information about local policies,
>utilities, and hardware.  It will also include information on some of the
>more frequently used unix commands, but rewritten in a simpler form so that
>the average user does not have to decipher a "man" page.
>Has anyone developed a guide for your site?  If so, do you have any
>suggestions or recommendations?  I have been speaking with some of the
>users at my site for suggestions and everyone agrees that the simpler the
>guide, the better.
>Basically, I am looking to develop some sort of menu-driven program which
>needs no instructions on its use and will be easy to maintain.  I am not so
>much looking for a program, but am looking for ideas in organizing and
>managing the data.  If you can offer some help, please send me e-mail.
>                            Thanks in advance,
>                            Diane Affleck
>                            Dept. of Army
>                            Chemical, Biological, Defense Command
>                            Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD
>                            COM: 410-671-2625
>                            DSN: 584-2625

Go play in gopher space and you will find lots of examples of such guides.
Gopher has lots of other advantages.  There are currently over 1200 internet
connected gophers in the world, doubling monthly.  Check the newsgroup
comp.infosystems.gopher.  All binaries for PC and Mac, as well as source for
VMS and UNIX are online for ftp at boombox.micro.umn.edu.  There is a public
client at UMN that you can log into and roam around.  Particularly look at
the other gophers selection on the menu.  Mine is not currently open for
public scrutiny (yet), but there are others.  The UMN public client can be
reached by telnet'ing consultant.micro.umn.edu, login as gopher.

--
                                                          ___________________
  R.Stewart(Stew) Ellis, Assoc.Prof., (Off)313-762-9765  /   _____  ______

1. JobConnectEurope & The Contractor's Club Now On-Line, Thousands of IT Jobs On-Line..

JobConnectEurope and The Contractor's Club are now online... Thousands
of Jobs, Both Contract and Permanent for IT Professionals. Don't miss
that Job, Career Move or Contract, register with us now and receive our
latest jobs straight to your mail box.

Register with us now... Its easy, simply go to our site at
Http://www.jobconnecteurope.com/ and fill out the Registration Form.
Once registered you will receive jobs which match your requirements via
email direct to your mail box.  You can amend your details at any time,
you can also mark yourself unavailable from which point you will not
receive any further email until you pop back on line and amend your
status to available.  Its Easy, its simple, its immediate.... Unlike
other job sites we do not sell CV's, you stipulate how you wish to be
contacted. Join us now...

Our Discussion Forum and Virtual Chat areas in The Contractors Club will
be available shortley, for you to discuss issues with other like minded
people. Don't miss it.

See you on-line

Thanks for your time..

Trevor

2. Where is efax?

3. Are there any on-line guides on writing shell scripts ?

4. s3 Virge GX problems

5. Free Access to On-line Solaris 9 Network Admin Study Guide

6. login problem : illegal pam.conf entry

7. On-line Solaris 8 Study Guide

8. Help with install // FreeBSD + Linux

9. On-line guide to setting up an ethernet connection?

10. On-line Solaris 9 Sys Admin Study Guides (Parts I and II)

11. wu_ftp user shows still on-line

12. Updating pages w/users on-line

13. On-line user typing