rpc.yppasswd problem

Post by Michelle Murill » Sat, 22 Jun 1996 04:00:00

On my server (a SunOs 4.1.4 machine) it is running

rpc.yppasswdd /etc/passwd -m passwd

If I try to change a password or add a new
user I get the following error:

RPC: timed out
yppasswd couldn't change entry (RPC call failed)

If I do

rpcinfo -p

yppasswdd shows up

If I do

rpcinfo -u servername yppasswd

I get

rpcinfo: RPC timed out
progam 100009 version 0 is not available.

I have killed and restarted the daemon, and
passwd seems to work great. Other RPC services
(e.g. NFS) appear to be running fine (rpcinfo
returns ready and waiting).

Any ideas, suggestions, or ideas would be greatly
appreciated.

thanks in advance -
mitch

rpc.yppasswd problem

Post by Michelle Murill » Sat, 22 Jun 1996 04:00:00

> On my server (a SunOs 4.1.4 machine) it is running

> rpc.yppasswdd /etc/passwd -m passwd

> If I try to change a password or add a new
> user I get the following error:

> RPC: timed out
> yppasswd couldn't change entry (RPC call failed)

> If I do

> rpcinfo -p

> yppasswdd shows up

> If I do

> rpcinfo -u servername yppasswd

> I get

> rpcinfo: RPC timed out
> progam 100009 version 0 is not available.

> I have killed and restarted the daemon, and
> passwd seems to work great. Other RPC services
> (e.g. NFS) appear to be running fine (rpcinfo
> returns ready and waiting).

> Any ideas, suggestions, or ideas would be greatly
> appreciated.

> thanks in advance -
> mitch

More info to add: I noticed that the process
was state R at about 76% CPU - not state I(W) as
it should be.
So I killed it once again - and this time
restarted it with one more parameter:

DIR=/etc

Now everything appears to be working great. The
rpcinfo returns a ready and waiting status and I
can change NIS passwords. So now my question is -
what happened in the first place and why? And
did I really fix the problem?

thanks
mitch

1. NIS Problem - rpc.yppasswd

I have an U10 running Solaris 8 04/01. I have installed NIS and configured
it as the master server.

My problem is that I can't get rpc.yppasswd to run. I checked the scripts to
start it and the following line appears to be the culprit in <ypstart>

master=`/usr/sbin/makedbm -u /var/yp/$domain/passwd.byname | grep
YP_MASTER_NAME | nawk '{ print $2 }'`

Gives an error of <couldnt open /var/yp/newcastle/passwd.byname dbm>

Checking for the existance of </var/yp/newcastle/passwd.byname> shows up
<passwd.byname.pag> and <passwd.byname.dir>.

Obviously the filenames are different but changing the name to the one that
exists doesn't help.

I can get it to run manually but surely I don't have to bastardise Solaris
like this to get it to work properly??

Anybody point me in the right direction?

Cheers,

Mik

2. BackPack CD-ROM on RH Linux v5.2

3. RPC error using yppasswd

4. g77 and C

5. BSM on 4.1.3 - rpc.yppasswd fails

6. IP ALIAS ADDRESS

7. How to use rpc.portmap, rpc.mountd, rpc.nfsd?

8. Problems after upgrading RAM

9. Where are rpc.portmap, rpc.mountd, rpc.nfsd?

10. Dangers of rpc.portmap, rpc.mountd, rpc.nfsd

11. RPC 4.0 vs RPC 4.1 vs TI RPC

12. Comparison bet soap rpc, dce rpc and sun rpc

13. RFI: RPC books; Also Problem with Sun Solaris 2.4 and RPC