Help Installing OS from CD-Rom

Post by Kevin Murp » Sat, 21 Sep 1996 04:00:00

I have recently been given a Sun IPC.  When I power it up, I get three

choices b (boot) , n (new) or c (continue)
I have no idea what to do next.  I have a cdrom and solaris 1.0.1
What or Where should I look for doc's on what to do next ?
Do I need to reinstall the operating system ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

tia
Kevin Murphy

Post by Ralph Osborn » Sat, 21 Sep 1996 04:00:00

> I have recently been given a Sun IPC.  When I power it up, I get three
> choices b (boot) , n (new) or c (continue)
> I have no idea what to do next.

Try b (boot) first, the worst that can happen is that it'll fail.

If b (boot) and c (continue) both fail, try n(new), what else
have you got ;-)

Ralph

Post by Derrick Shul » Tue, 24 Sep 1996 04:00:00

>choices b (boot) , n (new) or c (continue)
>I have no idea what to do next.  I have a cdrom and solaris 1.0.1
>What or Where should I look for doc's on what to do next ?
>Do I need to reinstall the operating system ?

Whether to reload the OS depends on whether it is currently loaded.
Have you tried booting????  You may have the documentation that came
with the cd...if so, look in the installation portion.  If not, to
boot off of the cdrom, first type " n" for new command.  You will get
an "ok" prompt.  Now type "boot cdrom".  Your machine will boot from
the cd and prompt you from there for information.  Sunos 4.x (Solaris
1.x) can be fun to load.  It isn't as friendly as Solaris 2.5.

Good Luck.

Derrick
|                Derrick Shultz                |
|              Systems Consultant              |
|       Computer Management Consultants        |

|  <Insert Standard Employer Disclamer Here >  |

Post by Casper Boden-Cummin » Thu, 26 Sep 1996 04:00:00

> I have recently been given a Sun IPC.  When I power it up, I get three
> choices b (boot) , n (new) or c (continue)
> I have no idea what to do next.  I have a cdrom and solaris 1.0.1
> What or Where should I look for doc's on what to do next ?
> Do I need to reinstall the operating system ?

If you hit 'b' the machine will attempt to boot from the default boot
device. You can also specifiy the device after the command.

'c' resumes execution of the OS when it has been suspended with <L1>-A.

'n' stands for 'new command mode'. It enters a diagnostic state where
you check and configure many of the machine's physical characteristics,
such as probing the SCSI chain, setting the tty line disciplines, the
console size, boot device and power-on tests, and so on. Most important
here is whether the diagnostic mode has been password protected. If it
has, you're stuffed (anyone? Jumper settings maybe?).

Run 'b' first to see whether the machine boots. Do you have the root
password? Run 'n' at some stage and type 'help' for a list of command
types. Just look around and learn the set up.

This is all I can remember off the top of my head, but if you have any

IPC and manuals.

Good luck,
Casper Boden-Cummins.

Help Installing OS from CD-Rom

Post by Antonino Vital » Tue, 01 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> I have recently been given a Sun IPC.  When I power it up, I get three

> choices b (boot) , n (new) or c (continue)
> I have no idea what to do next.  I have a cdrom and solaris 1.0.1

Try 'b'.Also 'n', new will put into command mode. then enter 'boot"
 If you need to boot from the CDROM try "b cdrom"
Also 'n', new will put into command mode. then enter 'boot cdrom'.

--

Electronic Data Systems                         Phone: (810)-265-0434
MS 5184, 800 Tower Drive, Troy, MI 48098        Fax: (810)-265-9221

Post by Rickard Granber » Tue, 01 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> > I have recently been given a Sun IPC.  When I power it up, I get three

> > choices b (boot) , n (new) or c (continue)
> > I have no idea what to do next.  I have a cdrom and solaris 1.0.1

> Try 'b'.Also 'n', new will put into command mode. then enter 'boot"
>  If you need to boot from the CDROM try "b cdrom"
> Also 'n', new will put into command mode. then enter 'boot cdrom'.

Actually, since the IPC has (as far as I know) version 1.x of the
boot prom, you must do:

b sd(0,6,2)

or in new command mode:

boot sd(0,6,2)

Erisoft AB - Erisoft is an Ericsson company

Post by Jens Goer » Wed, 02 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> > I have recently been given a Sun IPC.  When I power it up, I get three

> > choices b (boot) , n (new) or c (continue)
> > I have no idea what to do next.  I have a cdrom and solaris 1.0.1
> Try 'b'.Also 'n', new will put into command mode. then enter 'boot"
>  If you need to boot from the CDROM try "b cdrom"
> Also 'n', new will put into command mode. then enter 'boot cdrom'.

If the IPC has older monitor ROMs the command is
b sd(0,6,2)

The CD-ROM drive is supposed to be on ID 6.

Hope that helps,
        Jens
--
Don't like my opinion? Go get your own!

1. Can't install Yggdrasil summer 94 CD-ROM with SCSI-1 CD-ROM

Hi,

  I can't install my Yggdrasil summer 94 CD-ROM with the following SCSI
related configuration :
  1) 1 Adaptec 1542C controller
  2) 1 240MB SCSI-2 hard disk
  3) 1 Sound Blaster 16 AIC-6360 sound card
  4) 1 NEC SCSI-1 CD-ROM (I say it is SCSI-1 because ezscsi.exe provided by
     Adaptec detects it as a SCSI-1 one without support for parity checking).

  I have tried to install Linux with the following two configurations :
  1) connect the CD-ROM to SB16 card and the hard disk to 1542C controller :
     I typed the command
     Linux aha152x=0x340,11,7,1
     to boot Linux but failed after a long period of detecting my CD-ROM
     and dumped a lot of messages about the queue status.
     I noticed that the parity checking is enabled.

  2) connect the CD-ROM and hard disk to 1542C with parity checking disabled
     while just connect the sound output from CD-ROM to SB16 card only :

     I used the default booting process and it failed a lot faster and told
     me that it can't mount the CD-ROM (kernel panic : unable to mount VFS).

  These two configurations work fine under both OS/2 2.1 and DOS/Windows.

  Now I need help to the following questions :
  1) How can I install Linux using this CD-ROM with such config ?
  2) Which other CD-ROM distribution can I use to install Linux ?

  One of the major reasons to buy CD-ROM is to run Linux. Failing to do so
frustrated me a lot. Please help me !

Thanks in advance,
   Eddie

2. Xircom Realport 10/100 (RE-100) Linux Driver

3. CD-ROM not detected by linux after CD-ROM install

4. pcibios_* removals for 2.5.40

5. OS 5.05 Install / IDE CD-ROm

6. mod_rewrite and the HTTP REFRESH directive

7. CD-ROM for Solaris 2.4 x86 / OS/2 installs

8. swap truncated

9. Help on installing Yggdrasil summer 94 CD from SB16 CD-ROM

10. Help: problem installing CD-562 cd-rom

11. Adaptec 1520i with Panasonic CD/PD drive and 4x Oak CD-ROM install HELP!!

12. HELP: Install Slackware 3.0 from CD using 6x Creative Labs CD-ROM

13. Reveal 4XCD-ROM & Slackware 2.3 CD-ROM Install