HP-UX 9.x 3rd-party backup software

Post by pmdal.. » Mon, 09 Dec 1996 04:00:00

I am looking for 3rd-party tape backup software for HP-UX 9.x.  I have
heard praise for a package called OmniBack, but do not know the name of
the company that provides this.  I would appreciate hearing about others'
experience with OmniBack.  I would appreciate learning of other packages
available for HP-UX 9.x.

Post by G.H. Jahri » Tue, 10 Dec 1996 04:00:00

> I am looking for 3rd-party tape backup software for HP-UX 9.x.  I have
> heard praise for a package called OmniBack, but do not know the name of
> the company that provides this.  I would appreciate hearing about others'
> experience with OmniBack.  I would appreciate learning of other packages
> available for HP-UX 9.x.

Omniback is HP`s baby. They sell it for some un godly amount. Unless you
are doing something very complex or unusual I would recommend something
a bit simpler like fbackup.

Omniback takes quite a bit to learn (mastering and confidence) and is
very cumbersome when it comes to basic backing up. It has some
advantages in complex circumstances.

Post by Mark McCullou » Wed, 11 Dec 1996 04:00:00

>> I am looking for 3rd-party tape backup software for HP-UX 9.x.  I have
>> heard praise for a package called OmniBack, but do not know the name of
>> the company that provides this.  I would appreciate hearing about others'
>> experience with OmniBack.  I would appreciate learning of other packages
>> available for HP-UX 9.x.
>Omniback is HP`s baby. They sell it for some un godly amount. Unless you
>are doing something very complex or unusual I would recommend something
>a bit simpler like fbackup.

>Omniback takes quite a bit to learn (mastering and confidence) and is
>very cumbersome when it comes to basic backing up. It has some
>advantages in complex circumstances.

What would you describe as "complex"?  I'm interested in nightly incremental
backups and weekly full backups.

Could you point out some of the genuine advantages and disadvantages of
OmniBack?  It is being considered where I work, and a supervisor from
the mainframe world is enamored with large everpresent tools, and seems
to take delight in his claim that I can't accidentally tar over a tape
that OmniBack hasn't released yet.  (Frankly, that scares me if true,
I don't want a program telling root what it can do.)

--
Mark McCullough                             Systems-Programmer

Post by G.H. Jahri » Wed, 11 Dec 1996 04:00:00

> What would you describe as "complex"?  I'm interested in nightly i

Multiple machines some in remote locations, different platforms and
perhaps tape drives in different locations that all need to be contolled
from one machine. Raw logical volumes are also the domain of Omniback on
HP.

        If you have one or two machines just backing up files, save the
headache and overhead. Go with fbackup or better yet use SAM.

1. 3rd Party Tape Backup for HP-UX 9.x

Recently I attended a week-long HP-UX 9.x Systems Admin class, and am
definitely still a newbie to UNIX systems admin.  When we covered system
backup I was struck by the instructors statement that HP-UX's  fbackup is
not a "real" backup, apparently because it does not provide for tape
verification, retensioning, etc.  He said he once had to do a major
restore and found that *five* of this last six full backup were defective.
 Pretty sobering newsx...  His advice was to acquire a 3rd party package
recommended by your database vendor, and mentioned OmniBack as one such
package.

My company uses Informix-SE as database for an application server.  I'd
appreciate knowledgable responses, recommendations, vendor names, etc., or
a pointer to a better place to inquire.  We have a DDS tape drive in an
HP9000 E35.

Thank you for any and all responses!

Pamela Dallas

2. how can I remove all the game package with one operation(use aptitude of debian)

3. 3rd Party Drive on HP-UX?

4. Root password lost

5. 3rd Party Backup Software

6. Linux on RS6000s with PCI

7. Solaris/x86 features/3rd-party software questions

8. Serial: updated serial drivers

9. Difference between HP-UX 10.10 and HP-UX 10.20

10. PARTY PARTY PARTY PARTY PARTY

11. 3rd party backup s/w

12. Restore from Backup when using 3rd party tool

13. 3rd party backup/recovery packages