Rapidly Ping 6000+ Machines in 2 Minutes

Rapidly Ping 6000+ Machines in 2 Minutes

Post by Ping 6000+ Machines in 2 Minute » Sun, 03 Feb 2002 11:18:54

Learn more:
http://www.geeworks.com/mping/

Rapidly Ping 6000+ Machines in less than 2 Minutes

MPing is a system administration command-line utility. It works like PING
but it allows administrators to rapidly ping multiple machines in parallel.
In a WAN environment, MPING can ping 6000+ machines in less than 2 minutes.

MPing is the ONLY massively multithreaded ping utility that features the
Multithreaded Throttling Technique (MTT) which streamlines the creation of
the maximum number of Win32 threads for the system in order to maximize the
ping throughput.

Features
- Command line interface suitable for launching from batch files
- Rapidly ping a list of hosts in parallel specified in an input text file
- Output success/failure results to console and/or text files
- Configurable number of echo requests to send
- Configurable Timeout in msec to wait for each reply

Learn more:
http://www.geeworks.com/mping/

Rapidly Ping 6000+ Machines in 2 Minutes

Post by Clive Dov » Mon, 04 Feb 2002 00:03:17

Quote:> Learn more:
> http://www.geeworks.com/mping/

> Rapidly Ping 6000+ Machines in less than 2 Minutes

> MPing is a system administration command-line utility. It works like PING
> but it allows administrators to rapidly ping multiple machines in
> parallel. In a WAN environment, MPING can ping 6000+ machines in less than
> 2 minutes.

> MPing is the ONLY massively multithreaded ping utility that features the
> Multithreaded Throttling Technique (MTT) which streamlines the creation of
> the maximum number of Win32 threads for the system in order to maximize
> the ping throughput.

> Features
> - Command line interface suitable for launching from batch files
> - Rapidly ping a list of hosts in parallel specified in an input text file
> - Output success/failure results to console and/or text files
> - Configurable number of echo requests to send
> - Configurable Timeout in msec to wait for each reply

> Learn more:
> http://www.geeworks.com/mping/

Sounds like something every cracker and script kiddie ought to have in his
toolbox.  ;-)

Post by Wrat » Mon, 04 Feb 2002 07:54:57

> > Learn more:
> > http://www.geeworks.com/mping/

> > Rapidly Ping 6000+ Machines in less than 2 Minutes

> > MPing is a system administration command-line utility. It works like PING
> > but it allows administrators to rapidly ping multiple machines in
> > parallel. In a WAN environment, MPING can ping 6000+ machines in less than
> > 2 minutes.

> > MPing is the ONLY massively multithreaded ping utility that features the
> > Multithreaded Throttling Technique (MTT) which streamlines the creation of
> > the maximum number of Win32 threads for the system in order to maximize
> > the ping throughput.

> > Features
> > - Command line interface suitable for launching from batch files
> > - Rapidly ping a list of hosts in parallel specified in an input text file
> > - Output success/failure results to console and/or text files
> > - Configurable number of echo requests to send
> > - Configurable Timeout in msec to wait for each reply

> > Learn more:
> > http://www.geeworks.com/mping/

> Sounds like something every cracker and script kiddie ought to have in his
> toolbox.  ;-)

Actually, if you truly want to know what this is, I'll tell you.  Its
incredibly remeniscant of a Denial of Service attack known as Smurf.
The way Smurf works is it takes the ip address of your victim, spoofs
it as yours, and proceeds to ping an entire subnet of high-speed
computers.  Then their replies to these pings go to the IP address
that they THINK send the pings -- the victim's IP address.  Thus: It
sends a great many packets at high speed to a victim from a full
subnet of computers which are usually not the least bit affiliated
with the attacker.

NOTE: I place this here as an explaination of what this reminds me of,
not as instructions to do something.  Do this, and you're just doing
another illegal thing. I hate to post a disclaimer...but...

Rapidly Ping 6000+ Machines in 2 Minutes

Post by Ping 6000+ Machines in 2 Minute » Mon, 04 Feb 2002 12:16:35

This is not true Wrath. The utility works like Ping but it does it in a
efficiently multithreaded way to handle large number of machines in a short
time.

> > > Learn more:
> > > http://www.geeworks.com/mping/

> > > Rapidly Ping 6000+ Machines in less than 2 Minutes

> > > MPing is a system administration command-line utility. It works like
PING
> > > but it allows administrators to rapidly ping multiple machines in
> > > parallel. In a WAN environment, MPING can ping 6000+ machines in less
than
> > > 2 minutes.

> > > MPing is the ONLY massively multithreaded ping utility that features
the
> > > Multithreaded Throttling Technique (MTT) which streamlines the
creation of
> > > the maximum number of Win32 threads for the system in order to
maximize
> > > the ping throughput.

> > > Features
> > > - Command line interface suitable for launching from batch files
> > > - Rapidly ping a list of hosts in parallel specified in an input text
file
> > > - Output success/failure results to console and/or text files
> > > - Configurable number of echo requests to send
> > > - Configurable Timeout in msec to wait for each reply

> > > Learn more:
> > > http://www.geeworks.com/mping/

> > Sounds like something every cracker and script kiddie ought to have in
his
> > toolbox.  ;-)

> Actually, if you truly want to know what this is, I'll tell you.  Its
> incredibly remeniscant of a Denial of Service attack known as Smurf.
> The way Smurf works is it takes the ip address of your victim, spoofs
> it as yours, and proceeds to ping an entire subnet of high-speed
> computers.  Then their replies to these pings go to the IP address
> that they THINK send the pings -- the victim's IP address.  Thus: It
> sends a great many packets at high speed to a victim from a full
> subnet of computers which are usually not the least bit affiliated
> with the attacker.

> NOTE: I place this here as an explaination of what this reminds me of,
> not as instructions to do something.  Do this, and you're just doing
> another illegal thing. I hate to post a disclaimer...but...

Rapidly Ping 6000+ Machines in 2 Minutes

Post by Ping 6000+ Machines in 2 Minute » Mon, 04 Feb 2002 12:34:43

Please be advised that MPING is a system monitoring tool for corporate use.
It is NOT a hacker tool.

> > Learn more:
> > http://www.geeworks.com/mping/

> > Rapidly Ping 6000+ Machines in less than 2 Minutes

> > MPing is a system administration command-line utility. It works like
PING
> > but it allows administrators to rapidly ping multiple machines in
> > parallel. In a WAN environment, MPING can ping 6000+ machines in less
than
> > 2 minutes.

> > MPing is the ONLY massively multithreaded ping utility that features the
> > Multithreaded Throttling Technique (MTT) which streamlines the creation
of
> > the maximum number of Win32 threads for the system in order to maximize
> > the ping throughput.

> > Features
> > - Command line interface suitable for launching from batch files
> > - Rapidly ping a list of hosts in parallel specified in an input text
file
> > - Output success/failure results to console and/or text files
> > - Configurable number of echo requests to send
> > - Configurable Timeout in msec to wait for each reply

> > Learn more:
> > http://www.geeworks.com/mping/

> Sounds like something every cracker and script kiddie ought to have in his
> toolbox.  ;-)

Rapidly Ping 6000+ Machines in 2 Minutes

Post by lsun.. » Mon, 04 Feb 2002 14:00:55

On Sun, 3 Feb 2002 03:34:43 UTC, "Ping 6000+ Machines in 2 Minutes"

> Please be advised that MPING is a system monitoring tool for corporate use.
> It is NOT a hacker tool.

But...

It is totally useless for anyone running OS/2. You web site indicates
that it is a "Windows" applications.

You have crossposted this to three OS/2 newsgroups and Sun and Unix
and Novell newsgroups as well. How would anyone run this Windows
application on any of those operating systems????

--
Lorne Sunley

Post by Brian Whit » Mon, 04 Feb 2002 19:59:21

>On Sun, 3 Feb 2002 03:34:43 UTC, "Ping 6000+ Machines in 2 Minutes"

>> Please be advised that MPING is a system monitoring tool for corporate use.
>> It is NOT a hacker tool.

>But...

>It is totally useless for anyone running OS/2. You web site indicates
>that it is a "Windows" applications.

>You have crossposted this to three OS/2 newsgroups and Sun and Unix
>and Novell newsgroups as well. How would anyone run this Windows
>application on any of those operating systems????

An emulator ?

Post by Tinti » Mon, 04 Feb 2002 21:50:06

> > > Learn more:
> > > http://www.geeworks.com/mping/

> > > Rapidly Ping 6000+ Machines in less than 2 Minutes

> > > MPing is a system administration command-line utility. It works like
> PING
> > > but it allows administrators to rapidly ping multiple machines in
> > > parallel. In a WAN environment, MPING can ping 6000+ machines in less
> than
> > > 2 minutes.

> > > MPing is the ONLY massively multithreaded ping utility that features
the
> > > Multithreaded Throttling Technique (MTT) which streamlines the
creation
> of
> > > the maximum number of Win32 threads for the system in order to
maximize
> > > the ping throughput.

> > > Features
> > > - Command line interface suitable for launching from batch files
> > > - Rapidly ping a list of hosts in parallel specified in an input text
> file
> > > - Output success/failure results to console and/or text files
> > > - Configurable number of echo requests to send
> > > - Configurable Timeout in msec to wait for each reply

> > > Learn more:
> > > http://www.geeworks.com/mping/

> > Sounds like something every cracker and script kiddie ought to have in
his
> > toolbox.  ;-)

> Please be advised that MPING is a system monitoring tool for corporate
use.
> It is NOT a hacker tool.

Hack3rs don't care what the tool has been intended for.  If it is useful,
they'll use it.

Rapidly Ping 6000+ Machines in 2 Minutes

Post by Wrat » Tue, 05 Feb 2002 04:32:47

Actually, you're helping to prove my point.  The only step between
doing what you say and doing what I say is spoofing the ip, which
crackers will find easy enough to do.  Once that's done, use this and
its a smurf attack.

Post by Nicholas Bachman » Tue, 05 Feb 2002 04:57:57

>>On Sun, 3 Feb 2002 03:34:43 UTC, "Ping 6000+ Machines in 2 Minutes"

>>>Please be advised that MPING is a system monitoring tool for corporate use.
>>>It is NOT a hacker tool.

>>But...

>>It is totally useless for anyone running OS/2. You web site indicates
>>that it is a "Windows" applications.

>>You have crossposted this to three OS/2 newsgroups and Sun and Unix
>>and Novell newsgroups as well. How would anyone run this Windows
>>application on any of those operating systems????

> An emulator ?

Un huh, sure.  For a networking application?

--
         Regards,

+ "Trucks don't have propellors because they   +
+ don't float." --Doug Freyubrger                 +

Post by Peter Moyl » Tue, 05 Feb 2002 12:02:05

>On Sun, 3 Feb 2002 03:34:43 UTC, "Ping 6000+ Machines in 2 Minutes"

>> Please be advised that MPING is a system monitoring tool for corporate use.
>> It is NOT a hacker tool.
>You have crossposted this to three OS/2 newsgroups and Sun and Unix
>and Novell newsgroups as well. How would anyone run this Windows
>application on any of those operating systems????

The fact that this denial-of-service tool has no relevance to any of
the seven newsgroups to which it was posted is coincidence.  If you check
a little further, you'll find that it was spammed to many other groups.
Sooner or later, he'll hit a group that include Windows users.

In case anyone is interested, the header includes the line

--

See http://eepjm.newcastle.edu.au for OS/2 information and software

Rapidly Ping 6000+ Machines in 2 Minutes

Post by daveh.. » Wed, 06 Feb 2002 02:44:01

Quote:> Please be advised that MPING is a system monitoring tool for corporate use.
> It is NOT a hacker tool.

Please be advised that your commercial spam is off-topic and unwelcome
in these technical discussion forums.

129 bucks for something any self-respecting admin could whip up in 3 or maybe
4 minutes (if they even saw value in such a thing)?  Sheesh.

Bye now...

Rapidly Ping 6000+ Machines in 2 Minutes

Post by Chris H » Wed, 06 Feb 2002 04:14:00

They are called "script kiddies" who love shotgun approach  =)
Quote:> Hack3rs don't care what the tool has been intended for.  If it is useful,

Post by Akop Pogosia » Thu, 07 Feb 2002 10:45:13

>> Learn more:
>> http://www.geeworks.com/mping/

>> Rapidly Ping 6000+ Machines in less than 2 Minutes

>> MPing is a system administration command-line utility. It works like PING
>> but it allows administrators to rapidly ping multiple machines in
>> parallel. In a WAN environment, MPING can ping 6000+ machines in less than
>> 2 minutes.

>> MPing is the ONLY massively multithreaded ping utility that features the
>> Multithreaded Throttling Technique (MTT) which streamlines the creation of
>> the maximum number of Win32 threads for the system in order to maximize
>> the ping throughput.

>> Features
>> - Command line interface suitable for launching from batch files
>> - Rapidly ping a list of hosts in parallel specified in an input text file
>> - Output success/failure results to console and/or text files
>> - Configurable number of echo requests to send
>> - Configurable Timeout in msec to wait for each reply

>> Learn more:
>> http://www.geeworks.com/mping/
> Sounds like something every cracker and script kiddie ought to have in his
> toolbox.  ;-)

No, they probably have learned to use nmap -sP by now, from the man page:

     -sP  Ping scanning: Sometimes you only want  to  know  which
          hosts on a network are up.  Nmap can do this by sending
          ICMP echo request packets to every IP  address  on  the
          networks  you  specify.   Hosts  that  respond  are up.
          Unfortunately, some sites such as  microsoft.com  block
          echo  request  packets.   Thus nmap can also send a TCP
          ack packet to (by default) port 80.  If we get  an  RST
          back,  that  machine is up.  A third technique involves
          sending a SYN  packet  and  waiting  for  a  RST  or  a
          SYN/ACK.   For  non-root  users,  a connect() method is
          used.

          By default (for root users), nmap uses  both  the  ICMP
          and  ACK techniques in parallel.  You can change the -P
          option described later.

          Note that pinging is done by default anyway,  and  only
          hosts  that  respond are scanned.  Only use this option
          if you wish to ping sweep without doing any actual port
          scans.

-akop

Rapidly Ping 6000+ Machines in 2 Minutes

Post by Brian Whit » Thu, 07 Feb 2002 21:35:02

On Sun, 03 Feb 2002 19:57:57 GMT, Nicholas Bachmann

>>>On Sun, 3 Feb 2002 03:34:43 UTC, "Ping 6000+ Machines in 2 Minutes"

>>>But...

>>>It is totally useless for anyone running OS/2. You web site indicates
>>>that it is a "Windows" applications.

>>>You have crossposted this to three OS/2 newsgroups and Sun and Unix
>>>and Novell newsgroups as well. How would anyone run this Windows
>>>application on any of those operating systems????

>> An emulator ?

>Un huh, sure.  For a networking application?

Yup, VMware for linux runs windows programs quite well, and can run
multiple windows 2000's which can talk to eachother, so YES !

1. Rapidly Ping 6000+ Machines in 2 Minutes

[...]

2. Dumping everything in your address space?

3. Remote unix (RS/6000) servers with dial-ins

4. Linux on digital Hinote ?

5. Help - can't ping one of my machines (but it can ping me).

6. Trouble with compaq deskpro pci bios & linux

7. SSA Questions

8. Ping: I can't ping machine names!

9. RISC 6000 MACHINE

10. seagate drive compatibility with Risc 6000 machine ?

11. High End Enterprise RS/6000 machines S7A, F50, SP etc

12. Timeline of Various RS/6000 machines