A kind soul with NS 3.1?

Post by David Cas » Tue, 04 Oct 1994 23:29:04

Hi folks,

I've been struggling for the past few months with Wietse Venema's
logdaemon program.  First, I couldn't compile the version 4 code without
posix -- which wasn't available until NextStep 3.2.  So, after a while I
managed to upgrade my system to 3.2.  Then, I found out that posix is
really, seriously broken in NextStep 3.2, and no matter what Wietse and I
tried, there was no way to make it work.

Then, I thought I'd just go back to logdaemon version 3.x, which did
compile and was running just fine under 3.1.  Wrong!  All logdaemon
version 3 code now bus errors when I compile it under 3.2 -- even though
the binary which was compiled under 3.1 worked famously.

So, in the end it seems, I need to find a kind soul who is still running
NextStep 3.1, so I can build the logdaemon version 3 code and use it on
my system.

If you or someone you know can help me out, please let me know!  :)

Thanks,
David.

A kind soul with NS 3.1?

Post by Dimitri Tischen » Wed, 05 Oct 1994 04:12:34

>Hi folks,

>I've been struggling for the past few months with Wietse Venema's
>logdaemon program.  First, I couldn't compile the version 4 code without
>posix -- which wasn't available until NextStep 3.2.  So, after a while I
>managed to upgrade my system to 3.2.  Then, I found out that posix is
>really, seriously broken in NextStep 3.2, and no matter what Wietse and I
>tried, there was no way to make it work.

You probably have tried everything, but just to be sure: how exactly
did you try to compile it? I've had problems with posix myself, but
eventually, every problem was solvable through some flags and defines.

Dimitri

+------------------------------------+-----------------------------------+
| Delft University of Technology     | NeGeN                             |
| Fac Applied Math & Computer Science| NEXTSTEP Gebruikers Nederland     |
| Dep of Statistics, Probabilitistics| NiNe                              |
|  and Operations Research           | NEXTSTEP In the Netherlands       |
+------------------------------------+-----------------------------------+

A kind soul with NS 3.1?

Post by David Cas » Fri, 14 Oct 1994 22:12:19

Hi Dimitri,

Sorry for the long delay...

: You probably have tried everything, but just to be sure: how exactly
: did you try to compile it? I've had problems with posix myself, but
: eventually, every problem was solvable through some flags and defines.

:)  Yes, we definitely tried everything.

To start with, we tinkered with the compiler flag -posix and the
library -lposix.

After Wietse showed me the broken instance of strftime() that you can see
by doing

        nm -op /usr/lib/libposix.a | grep strftime

I tried using a third-party strftime.  Which seemed to take care of those
problems.  Add in Wietse's environ.c to take care of the missing putenv()
and setenv(), and finally it compiled.

Then the error on execution was --

        Warning: no access to tty; thus no job control in this shell

We tried some open() calls, as well as setsgid and setpgrp(0,0), all to
no avail.  So it compiles, but it is broken in a severe way.

Attempting to compile the older code (version 3.9 or earlier) results in
bus errors.

Do you have, or know of, a version 3.1 system which could help me out?

Thanks,
David.

A kind soul with NS 3.1?

Post by David Cas » Mon, 17 Oct 1994 00:14:05

Hi folks,

I have found someone who got this to work for me.  Many thanks to Jack

The code will be publically available via anonymous FTP on
vector.casti.com in /ftp/pub/next soon.

David.

1. Could some kind soul please send me the faq or post it to this group

Well like it says I am looking for where to get linux and other
simple questions which I am sure are covered in the faq Thanks for reading this
useless drivel.

John

umm...maybe I should make this longer so people will look :)

||                     ||||||
||                      *  *
||                       <>
||                      \__/   Hey! that's original artwork and it's copyrighted
||                              so don't copy it and flaunt that it is yours :)

2. Netscape server

3. Could some kind soul help me sort out my libs?

4. XFree 4.0 on ThinkPad 365XD

5. Will some kind soul explain ..?

6. Multiple http Servers?

7. LaCheck - can some kind soul mail me a compiled binary?

8. IPX/PPP Problem

9. Can any kind soul tell me how to get vn working?

10. Remote printing nightmare -- can a kind soul offer advice?

11. sz and rz zmodem portocol for NS 3.1 black

12. Different kinds of NS-lookups?

13. StarOffice 3.1 problem w/ 3.1-RELEASE