PROM Password.

Post by Markie Ma » Wed, 26 Sep 2001 20:24:14

Hey all,
        I have an old SPARC Station 20 here, which I dug up from the ba*t so
to speak.  It's running Solaris 8 and I can access one of the user accounts.
However I don't know the root password, and wouldn't mind doing a fresh
install.  The problem is that the previous admin set a PROM password which I
don't know or cannot get access too.  Is there anyways to get around removing
it?  I tried booting the machine without any HDD's however this changed
nothing.  Thanks in advance for your time and replies...
--
regards,
        -mark

http://www.veryComputer.com/
-
"Trying is the first step towards Failure"- Homer J. Simpson

PROM Password.

Post by Dave Boer » Wed, 26 Sep 2001 21:21:28

Markie Mark wrote (25 Sep 2001 11:24:14 GMT):

Quote:> [...] The problem is that the previous admin set a PROM password which
> I don't know or cannot get access too.  Is there anyways to get around
> removing it?  I tried booting the machine without any HDD's however this
> changed nothing.  Thanks in advance for your time and replies...

Mark,

Try reading this document:

        http://www.squirrel.com/squirrel/sun-nvram-hostid.faq.html

I did the procedure once with a SS IPC and was successful.

Good luck,

    Dave Boers.

--
 djboers (at) quantum-physics (dot) net

1. PROM Password help

is there a way to disable the PROM password on a Sparc20?  I intelligently must
have set a incorrect password and i do not know what i made it.. PLEASE HELP!!

--

2. Max virtual domains per machine?

3. getting round a PROM password?

4. WHOIS now useless ??

5. HELP - PROM password (SS2)

6. Startup Device on Sparc370

7. PROM password problems

8. Need Small LCD

9. HOW TO: Change PROM password

10. PROM Password help

11. SparcStation 2 PROM Password

12. Setting security mode and prom password in C

13. Lost PROM Password