(Computing) Units of Measures

Post by Prashant Avash » Sat, 28 Mar 1992 10:42:50

Hello Everybody:

The use of Kilobytes, Megabytes, Gigabytes seem to suggest us  that we are all
using the MKS standard of representation of units. But, in MKS the base is a
real "Kilo" which is 1000. In computerese, 1 Kilobyte = 1024 bytes.

The difference between 1000 and 1024 is a 2.4% error.

If we use MKS Kilo as a base, we are not using the correct computerese unit of
measure. If we use the computerese unit 1024 as a unit of measure, then we
cannot convert the  Kilobyte (unit of data size) to the other standards
of conversion such as CGS or FPS.

What I am saying is that if 1000 allows us the basis for conversion from MKS
to CGS forms then How does one break down 1 Kilobyte into bytes??? Answer
one of the following:

A) 1000 Bytes.
B) 1024 Bytes.
C) Fill your own.
D) All of the above.
E) None of the above.
F) Pass.

I executed the /usr/lib/units program. It says that 1 kilobyte = 1000 bytes.
Well, then is 1024 incorrect???? I think, I can choose the toppings on
my pizza but I do'nt think I can choose between the international standards of
1000 (or) 1024 bytes.

Or how about this??? If it is raining, use 1000; if it is sunshine outside,
use 1024; If April, use 1040 (thats what the IRS said!!).

I have copied my output of this program below:

.
.
.
.
.
melasv{prashant}13: cd /usr/lib
melasv{prashant}14: units
you have: kilobyte
you want: byte
        * 1.000000e+03
        / 1.000000e-03
.
.
.
.
.

Please help unsettle the confusion on units and standards of data representation
in MKS, CGS and FPS systems. Thank you. If I recieve opinions and e-mails, I
will summarize.

Prashant Avashia
Mitsubishi Electronics America
Tel: (408) 730-5900

Disclaimer: Mine only. Yes, it is all mine only.

P.S.: I believe that the /usr/lib/units source is incorrect and has become
      severely outdated. On a SunOS4.1.1, it converts 1 Dollar to 222 yen.
      It also says 1 dollar = 7.782 (Indian) Rupees.

      I think, that rate was prevalent about 10-12 years ago. Today the
      real rates are 1 dollar = 130 yen(more or less),
      and 1 Dollar = 32.00 (Indian) Rupees(more or less), based on daily
      monetary fluctuations. I am glad, we do not have any financial
      systems on our Suns. The financial confusion would cause a severe
      international meltdown in response to the contagious S&L crisis....
      .........................just kidding.

(Computing) Units of Measures

Post by J.C. Webber I » Mon, 30 Mar 1992 09:02:30

Quote:>Hello Everybody:

Hello yourself 8^).

Quote:>P.S.: I believe that the /usr/lib/units source is incorrect and has become
>      severely outdated. On a SunOS4.1.1, it converts 1 Dollar to 222 yen.
>      It also says 1 dollar = 7.782 (Indian) Rupees.
>      I think, that rate was prevalent about 10-12 years ago. Today the
>      real rates are 1 dollar = 130 yen(more or less),

The database used for these calculations is contained in the text file:
/usr/lib/unittab.

Feel free to update this file with the latest exchange rates as often
as you feel the need 8^}.

To quote the entry in the one on my system:

/ Money
/ epoch May 18, 1977 wall st j

$                       dollar
argentinapeso           .0030 $
australiadollar         1.1065 $
austriaschilling        .0597 $
belgiumfranc            .0277 $
brazilcruzeiro          .0733 $
britainpound            1.7187 $
canadadollar            .9550 $
colombiapeso            .0276 $
denmarkkrone            .1663 $
equadorsucre            .0365 $
finlandmarkka           .2456 $
francefranc             .2021 $
greecedrachma           .0272 $
hongkongdollar          .2134 $
indiarupee              .1145 $
indonesiarupiah         .00259 $
iranrial                .0143 $
iraqdinar               3.41 $
israelpound             .1105 $
italylira               .001130 $
japanyen                .003607 $
lebanonpound            .3285 $
malaysiadollar          .4032 $
mexicopeso              .0445 $
netherlandsguilder      .4080 $
newzealanddollar                .9665 $
norwaykrone             .1899 $
pakistanrupee           .1025 $
perusol                 .0129 $
philippinespeso .1345 $
portugalescudo          .0259 $
saudiarabiariyal                .2860 $
singaporedollar         .4061 $
southafricarand         1.1522 $
southkoreawon           .0021 $
spainpeseta             .01451 $
swedenkrona             .2296 $
switzerlandfranc        .3970 $
thailandbhat            .050 $
uruguaypeso             .2330 $
venezuelabolivar        .2335 $
germanymark             .4243 $

mark                    germanymark
bolivar                 venezuelabolivar
peseta                  spainpeseta
rand                    southafricarand
escudo                  portugalescudo
sol                     perusol
guilder                 netherlandsguilder
peso                    mexicopeso
yen                     japanyen
lira                    italylira
dinar                   iraqdinar
rial                    iranrial
rupee                   indiarupee
drachma                 greecedrachma
franc                   francefranc
markka                  finlandmarkka
sucre                   equadorsucre
pound                   britainpound
poundsterling           britainpound
cruzeiro                brazilcruzeiro

--

Systems Administrator           uunet!cadence!mips!skyking!jc
Mips Computer Systems           {ames,decwrl,pyramid,prls)!mips!skyking!jc

(Computing) Units of Measures

Post by Mike Anth » Thu, 02 Apr 1992 01:22:22

My vote is that 1 Kbyte = 1024 bytes.

Followups to rec.humor :-) :-) :-)

Note that as you climb the kilo-mega-giga-tera
ladder, the differences between numbers of bytes
and numbers of hedgehogs (or whatever) grows larger.

Most of us non-newbies remember the numbers

32767 65535

which are 32KB and 64 KB, respectively.
(these used to be the amounts of memory in well-
 equipped computers)

NOT 65 KB!!!!

Now that we measure in megabytes, we're talking
32 MB and 64 MB and the two techniques diverge furthur.

(sarcasm on)
Sun uSys used this technique in reverse with the first
1-Gigabyte disks, which were really only 889 Megabytes.
(sarcasm off - sorry, Sun)

This is not a new problem.  Note that a pound of
feathers is heavier than a pound of gold, but not
a pound of lead.  The proof is left as an exercise.

One final exercise:  if you have one kilobyte per
kilometer, how many bytes per meter do you have?
(sorry, I couln't resist :-)

mike

90% of good taste is found in 10% of the population.

1. How to measure time in units smaller than second?

Hi,

I need to measure the arrival times of events, which may be as small
as several ms. The time() and times() functions are of a much larger
granuality, while clock() only measure the CPU time. Could you please
give me some suggestions? Thank you.

Best,
Fan

2. FS: motorola bitsurfer pro isdn

3. units 1.52 available (units conversion program)

4. IMAPD hack

5. Re. AIX support for remote tape units Re: AIX support for remote tape units

6. Apache sending .htm as plain text...

7. IBM 3570 Tape unit

8. paste and man pages

9. Couldn't release PPP unit

10. REQUEST: IBM 9347 001 9 Track Tape Unit Information

11. Script to telnet to remote units and execute commands

12. remote tape unit

13. Can't XDMCP to logical unit interface?