Restrict ftp user to certain directory tree?

Restrict ftp user to certain directory tree?

Post by Ingvar Olsso » Sat, 26 Feb 2000 04:00:00

I know that this is a standard question but I can't find the
to it in the manuals (SunOs/Solaris) or on the net so here
goes:

I want to have an ftp server with only specified users with
passwords and I want to restrict the users to a certain
directory tree. How do I do it?

I have searched the newsgroup and looked in the FAQ but I
haven't been able to find anything useful.

        Ingvar
--
Ingvar Olsson   Developer and Systems Administrator  Trio AB

   Work         +46 8 457 30 81
   Fax          +46 8 457 31 00
   Home         +46 8 654 72 31

Post by Martin Hepwort » Tue, 29 Feb 2000 04:00:00

> I know that this is a standard question but I can't find the
> to it in the manuals (SunOs/Solaris) or on the net so here
> goes:

> I want to have an ftp server with only specified users with
> passwords and I want to restrict the users to a certain
> directory tree. How do I do it?

> I have searched the newsgroup and looked in the FAQ but I
> haven't been able to find anything useful.

>         Ingvar
> --
> Ingvar Olsson   Developer and Systems Administrator  Trio AB

>    Work         +46 8 457 30 81
>    Fax          +46 8 457 31 00
>    Home         +46 8 654 72 31

Hi
well the default ftpd from Sun won't do it (only works for the anonymous
user). You'll need proftpd (my choice) or wu-ftpd (a very popular
choice, but hard to config in opinion) to do this for other users.

martin