need help ping/traceroute problems

Post by cmei.. » Sun, 07 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I tried to use ping and traceroute, in my unix account and it did not
work. It retrieved the IP address of the name I typed in but it did not
receive any packages from any server.
The same with any server I tried.
But, when I tried to telnet into these servers, it did work like a
charme.
I mailed my system admin but they do not know what could cause it
either.It seems like that ICMP packets are being blocked, but they are
not running a firewall.

I would be very thankful for suggestions what could cause this problem.

Thank you very much. Please e-mail me.

Claus

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

need help ping/traceroute problems

Post by Andre » Sun, 07 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Hi there!

First - are they run UNIX ,
if yes - not only firewall could close some operations -
for secure reason one could play with services and ports
living alive only port 80 , 110 ,21 ,23  (http,mail,ftp and telnet)
and a pair for there own reason
- all work fine with also closed finger and ping services
If so - and all you use work - anythng O'k
If you need to knew  which port or service closed - use some
IP scaner to test .
Best regards

Andrew

> Hi,

> I tried to use ping and traceroute, in my unix account and it did not
> work. It retrieved the IP address of the name I typed in but it did not
> receive any packages from any server.
> The same with any server I tried.
> But, when I tried to telnet into these servers, it did work like a
> charme.
> I mailed my system admin but they do not know what could cause it
> either.It seems like that ICMP packets are being blocked, but they are
> not running a firewall.

> I would be very thankful for suggestions what could cause this problem.

> Thank you very much. Please e-mail me.

> Claus

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

1. need help ping/traceroute problems and more...

We're running linux with the 2.0.38 kernel, using a D-Link NE2000
compatible ISA network card.  We're connected to a Cisco 2500 series
router on a frame relay connection.  We're not running a firewall.

We can't ping or traceroute anywhere, not even the localhost.  It's like
all icmp traffic is being blocked.  Everything other than icmp
connections
to the internet and the localhost such as telnet, mail, etc, work just
fine.  I've tried upgrading the kernel and that didn't fix it.  We've
also
tried changing out the network card, and that didn't help either.  I
also
haven't been able to get tcpdump to work, so I'm not sure how to
diagnose
it from here.  We tried bringing the system down to single user mode
with
nothing but networking started, to see if perhaps something else was
interfering with it but no luck there either.

This just started happening one day a while back for no apparent reason.
No changes had been made to the system that we're aware of when it
started.

Please e-mail me any suggestions you might have.
Thanks so much,

Claus

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. How can I supervise memory usage for my threads?

3. Traceroute/ping help

4. Sun is said to drop support for x86?

5. Please help: Wierd traceroute's and pings

6. script doesn't export variables

7. ping,traceroute,dns work; telnet,ftp don't - help (LNE100TX, tulip 0.9.13

8. SOYO 5TH5 & Pentium MMX processors

9. help : Mac adress Traceroute/ping/whatever -like util ???

10. pppd is up, but cannot ping/traceroute/connect to internet - help please

11. ping/traceroute problems

12. Weird - Ping, traceroute problems - but telnet, http, ftp ok - ??

13. problems with ping/traceroute and more