Possible to use 'lpr' to save a file onto a remote Sun?

Possible to use 'lpr' to save a file onto a remote Sun?

Post by Naiming Sh » Fri, 09 Apr 1993 03:09:09

I am using NCSA telnet software on IBM/PC to connect with the Sun machines.
I need to copy files from PC onto the Suns inside the user program using
"system()" function in C. So I can't use interactive FTP program come with
the NCSA software. The NCSA telnet programs do have 'rcp' utility. What can
I do? Is there program let me work around this?
I am thinking about using 'lpr' program on PC, if I can configure the
printer server not to print the file, instead to copy it to certain
directory. Then I am all set. My question is: Can I configure the Sun
in this way to print a remote request to a file?
Thanks in advance.

Naiming Shen

Post by Kenneth » Mon, 12 Apr 1993 00:27:28

:I am thinking about using 'lpr' program on PC, if I can configure the
:printer server not to print the file, instead to copy it to certain
:directory. Then I am all set. My question is: Can I configure the Sun
:in this way to print a remote request to a file?
:Thanks in advance.

I do not know the PC software you are using, but I can help with the Sun side.
When I was debugging a PCNFS package that printed to a Sun printer, I would
send its output into a file.  Look at /etc/printcap, set 'of' to an executable
program.  This program will need to read its standard input, open a file, and
write it out.  You may also want to set the device to '/dev/null'.  Hm,
actually, you may actually be able to set the lp device to the file you
want to create, it it will always be a static file.

--
Kenneth Ng

"All this might be an elaborate simulation running in a little device sitting
on someone's table" -- J.L. Picard: ST:TNG

1. How setup 'lpr' to remote printer on Solaris

I'm new to Solaris,

I'd like to setup 'lpr' like printing to a remote 'lpr' supported
printserver.

Is there an add-on lpr package for Solaris like SGI has, or another
method?

Any info/links you have on this would be very much appreciated.

pls. email back, I don't read news that often.
John S. Haro
Boeing Defense and Space Group, Seattle, WA

2. XWindows colour depth

3. GPL'ing Solaris won't save SUN

4. FS: 21" SUN Color Monitor and 16" SUN B&W Monitor

5. Problem: No password-free remote 'root' login possible

6. Info for SMC/Elite ULTRA

7. Is it possible to 'w' a remote server?

8. script to get a complete system summary of sun box

9. printing postscript using 'LPR'

10. ASCII printing using 'lpr'

11. lpr -- how to send 'raw' files

12. Named 'at' jobs possible using tcsh ?

13. executable files w/o using 'file'