I need a cheap unix machine

I need a cheap unix machine

Post by Bill Voigh » Sun, 09 Aug 1998 04:00:00



Tim,

If you want to try unix, you probably want to look at Linux.  It's the x86
freeware version.  You could buy an old P100 w/16MB RAM and a 2GB or so drive
for a couple hundred bucks.  Look in your local newspaper for used machines.

Linux is available from numerous vendors, among them  RedHat , and  Caldera
.  You can also find the CD at many local computer shows.  Here in the DC
area, Market Pro does shows where you can generally find Linux.

You might also want to look up your local Linux users group.  Good luck and
welcome to the UNIX community.

BV


> Hi I'm 14 and I really want to and need to learn unix and I'm looking for
> a really really old unix machine that I can get for a few hundred
> dollars.  It doesn't matter how old it is so if you have an old unix


 
 
 

I need a cheap unix machine

Post by Mr. » Sun, 09 Aug 1998 04:00:00



> Tim,

> If you want to try unix, you probably want to look at Linux.  It's the
> x86 freeware version.  You could buy an old P100 w/16MB RAM and a 2GB
> or so drive for a couple hundred bucks.  Look in your local newspaper
> for used machines.

> Linux is available from numerous vendors, among them  RedHat , and
> Caldera .  You can also find the CD at many local computer shows.
> Here in the DC area, Market Pro does shows where you can generally
> find Linux.

> You might also want to look up your local Linux users group.  Good
> luck and welcome to the UNIX community.

> BV

It should be noted - Linux especially is _so_ much less bloated than M$
operating systems that it should run acceptably on a much lower end
machine!  Like, say a 486/25.  Won't be a screamer, but excellent to
learn on!  I'm sure many people here have UNIX still running on 386
machines for some use or another...

This being the case, you could probably find someone alses THROW AWAY
machine, and build yourself a useable unix machine - That's what I did
when I wanted to learn unix!

Good luck!

Minos Dounias

 
 
 

I need a cheap unix machine

Post by Abel O. Nels » Sun, 09 Aug 1998 04:00:00




> Hi I'm 14 and I really want to and need to learn unix and I'm looking for
> a really really old unix machine that I can get for a few hundred
> dollars.  It doesn't matter how old it is so if you have an old unix


You should look into an old PeeCee, i.e. i486 or older Pentium then
install Linux on it. The other option, especially if you have access to
non-wintel machines, i.e. old Macs, Amigas, etc, is to look at
<http://www.openbsd.org> or <http://www.netbsd.org> Both BSD's have been
ported to a wide range of hardware...Installing either of these two BSD's
will teach you a lot about the unix OS and getting a system up and
running.

Linux is definitely a great option, but I would suggest a distribution
like Slackware <http://www.cdrom.com> as a start. Slackware requires that
you know a bit more about your hardware before you can actually install
it. Other Linux distributions are available and very very nice to use,
however, I believe you'll learn a great deal by starting with a roll your
on approach...

The plus side of Linux is that there is a ton of documentation, both
online and in book form.

Good luck!

--
Abel O. Nelson
delete nospam from address to reply by email.
NoWhatWhat

 
 
 

I need a cheap unix machine

Post by Robert Hatche » Sun, 09 Aug 1998 04:00:00



> Hi I'm 14 and I really want to and need to learn unix and I'm looking for
> a really really old unix machine that I can get for a few hundred
> dollars.  It doesn't matter how old it is so if you have an old unix


If you really would like to learn UNIX, get yourself an old PC (even an
old 386 would work, UNIX is much more efficient with resources than
Micro$oft schtuff.)  Download a copy of Linux or FreeBSD (I prefer BSD
over LINUX, but niether is a bad choice.)  For learning purposes, you
could go with as little as a 386, 16 or 32 MB of RAM and a 1 GB hard
drive.  Surely you can find such a machine for a couple hundred dollars
out there.
--
Later,
*********************************************************************

"If it weren't for my Beautiful Wife, Fantastic Children, and this
 Wonderful Job,  I'd be hunting or fishing right now"
*********************************************************************

 
 
 

I need a cheap unix machine

Post by Mr. Bitze » Fri, 04 Sep 1998 04:00:00


parts cut out

Quote:> Linux is definitely a great option, but I would suggest a distribution
> like Slackware <http://www.cdrom.com> as a start. Slackware requires that
> you know a bit more about your hardware before you can actually install
> it. Other Linux distributions are available and very very nice to use,
> however, I believe you'll learn a great deal by starting with a roll your
> on approach...

> The plus side of Linux is that there is a ton of documentation, both
> online and in book form.

> Good luck!

> --
> Abel O. Nelson
> delete nospam from address to reply by email.
> NoWhatWhat

  I think that the use of a slackware distribution is a very good way to enter
into the world of U*nixes.
I for my self started with a slackware distribution, tried some more
distributions, and came back to slackware.
Because the libs in this distribution are working - and this is very
important, especially for newbees. (Fronted to the redhat-libs problems, the
young man may perhaps get rid of his hairs too early-removing them by own
hand-.)
The slackware distribution includes not always the latest programms, but
seldom I encountered problems by compiling src-code sucked out of the web. And
further on, I think, the slackware distribution has a really nice price - also
important for young people. And last but not least I am running a couple of
Linux boxes within our inranet (named-ftp-apache-full-featured mail etc.). No
problems since more than one year!!
But remember, every distribution has their own sunny sides, depending on your
purpose.
For real newcommers, I think, the Linux Bible by Yggdrasil
http://www.yddrasil.com will be very helpfull.
Please excuse my english -little bit out of use-

Good luck an a happy entrance to the U*nix world

Albert Bitzer

 
 
 

1. I need a cheap unix machine

1. Wrong newsgroup. Your question is not related to security.
2. Get an old 386 oder 486-clone from a second or third hand shop or chain.
   Install FreeBSD (http://www.freebsd.org/) or Linux (http://www.linux.org/)
   on it.

Pascal
--
 _   _     |                                                 Pascal Gienger


  http://www.paul-magazin.de/              Tel. 07531/52709 Fax 07531/52739

2. Whole bunch of /tmp/hpnpf* files

3. The Happy Hacker Keyboard

4. How to mount a second IDE drive on a Ultra 5

5. cheap Unix machine (follow-up)

6. ufsdump accross iso images

7. I need a UNIX printer driver that is cheap

8. Need to run DOS programs on UNIX machine (without emulators or repartioning)

9. Need help - telnetting from Unix machine

10. AT&T UNIX machine help needed

11. software needed to manage two-machine unix web development environment