root password forgot

Post by Long Huizhon » Wed, 25 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Dear All,

Is there any remedy except reinstalling the whole system,
if the root password is forgotten?

Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot!

root password forgot

Post by Renate Meije » Wed, 25 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> Dear All,

> Is there any remedy except reinstalling the whole system,
> if the root password is forgotten?

Ooops... I you have a floppy, you could try booting the system from a
rescue flop. If you have access on another account, and the password is
not too hard, perhaps a pasword ripper might help.

Quote:> Thanks a lot!

Hope it helps...

--
"Push the envelope, don't sit on the fence,
 Live your life on the razors edge"

        Queen, Ride the wild wind.

root password forgot

Post by Dennis Breede » Wed, 25 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Some flavors of UNIX when booted into single user mode will place you
logged in as root.  You can change the password form there.

root password forgot

Post by Brian » Wed, 25 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Boot from the Solaris installation CD
"boot -s cdrom"
This will put you into single user mode. You will then need to mount your
root partition.
"mount /dev/dsk/cxtxdxsx /a"
cd to /a/etc
You may need to set your TERM type "TERM=vt100 ; export TERM"
Now vi your shadow file and delete the password for root.
wq!
cd /
umount /a
and reboot.

This should do it....
Good luck.

Quote:>Dear All,

>Is there any remedy except reinstalling the whole system,
>if the root password is forgotten?

>Any suggestions?

>Thanks a lot!

root password forgot

Post by Ian Cha » Wed, 25 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>    With Sparc hardware and Solaris, get the system stopped and type
>boot cdrom -sw   After a fairly long wait, you will get a shell prompt.
>At that point, you can mount the root slice of your disk, set the TERM
>environment variable, and run vi on the /<mountpoint>/etc/passwd file
>and
>delete the root password.

What does "-w" do?  I can't find it documented anywhere.

- Ian

--

European MITS                                      Phone:    +44 (0)1506 595019
Cadence Design Systems Ltd                        Mobile:    +44 (0)7901 855073

root password forgot

Post by Joe Durusa » Wed, 25 Aug 1999 04:00:00

    Seems like somebody once said it gives you write permissions on the
filesystems.  I got that command from an old Solaric book, so the w may not
be strictly necessary.

Speaking only for myself,

Joe Durusau

Post by Ben Smithur » Wed, 25 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> Is there any remedy except reinstalling the whole system,
> if the root password is forgotten?

Well, in FreeBSD you can type "-s" at the "Boot:" prompt to get a
single-user prompt. Oh, you're not using FreeBSD? Well if you told
people what flavour of Unix you were using, you might get more helpful
answers.

--
Ben Smithurst            | PGP: 0x99392F7D

root password forgot

Post by John Graw » Wed, 25 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> > Dear All,

> > Is there any remedy except reinstalling the whole system,
> > if the root password is forgotten?

> Ooops... I you have a floppy, you could try booting the system from a
> rescue flop. If you have access on another account, and the password is
> not too hard, perhaps a pasword ripper might help.

> > Thanks a lot!
> Hope it helps...

> --
> "Push the envelope, don't sit on the fence,
>  Live your life on the razors edge"

>         Queen, Ride the wild wind.

Another option is to boot the system into single user mode from a
system installation cd, since you are now root w/o any password, mount
the system disk as /a and remove roots encrypted password from the
/a/etc/passwd or /a/etc/shadow file.  Then halt the system, and reboot
from the system disk in single user mode, login as root (no password
required)
and set the new password.

root password forgot

Post by Rev. Don Koo » Thu, 26 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> Boot from the Solaris installation CD
> "boot -s cdrom"

        [...rest snipped...]

        He never said that he was saddled with a SOLARIS machine.

                        Hope this helps,
                              Don

--
**********************      You a bounty hunter?
* Rev. Don McDonald  *      Man's gotta earn a living.

root password forgot

Post by Rev. Don Koo » Thu, 26 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> Dear All,

> Is there any remedy except reinstalling the whole system,
> if the root password is forgotten?

> Any suggestions?

        RCP your "/etc/passwd" (or equivalent depending on your OS) file
from the effected machine to your trusted host, edit it and then RCP
it back.

        If you haven't thought to set up a trusted host in advance, you're
probably going to have to schedule downtime and break into the
system with the OS CD-ROM.

        Some versions of UNIX will boot single user without asking for a
password so you could try that too.

                        Hope this helps,
                              Don

--
**********************      You a bounty hunter?
* Rev. Don McDonald  *      Man's gotta earn a living.
* Baltimore, MD      *      Dying ain't much of a living, boy.
**********************             "Outlaw Josey Wales"
http://members.home.net/oldno7

root password forgot

Post by Jacky Fen » Fri, 27 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Boot the machine in single-user mode.

Jacky

> Dear All,

> Is there any remedy except reinstalling the whole system,
> if the root password is forgotten?

> Any suggestions?

> Thanks a lot!

root password forgot

Post by Long Huizhon » Fri, 27 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Another option is to boot the system into single user mode from a
system installation cd, since you are now root w/o any password, mount
the system disk as /a and remove roots encrypted password from the
/a/etc/passwd or /a/etc/shadow file.  Then halt the system, and reboot
from the system disk in single user mode, login as root (no password
required)
and set the new password.

Thanks to all the Gurus'advice.
My Sun workstation is running Solaris 5.7. But now the problem is I
only have installation CD with lower release. I failed to reboot from
the CD. I am considering whether I can take the advange of another Sun
workstation running the same OS, whose root password, luckily hasn't
been forgotten.
Is there any tricky method?
(Can I make a boot floppy disk? How? )