Hierarchical Storage Management info required

Hierarchical Storage Management info required

Post by Kent Ada » Sat, 29 Oct 1994 10:13:37

I am seeking references(success or failure stories), for any of three
Hierarchical Storage Management Software products, namely Epoch Systems
EpochServer, Associated Network Technologies Metior and Introl
Corporations Flexstor. All have been offered to us in response to the
request I have included below and all have been offered on a Sun Sparc 5
system in 32MB and 64MB configurations. They will NFS serve pre*ly
OSF/1 and Ultrix hosts.

What we asked for
-----------------
These form the specifications for the supply, installation and maintenance
for hardware and software for a Hierarchical Storage Management System.
The HSM is required to provide storage management of, and NFS service to,
a diverse range of Unix systems. These currently include OSF/1, Ultrix,
UNICOS, Solaris, AIX... Support for PCNFS would be an advantage. It should
be capable of being configured to transparently migrate files between
magnetic, optical and tape storage.

Hardware: To include a system with sufficient physical memory and disk
capacity to adequately support the Operating System and the HSM software.
Over and above this should be supplied a minimum 5GB of magnetic storage,
optical jukebox with a minimum 20GB of optical storage and a tape
subsystem eg EXAbyte. The system however must be capable of expansion to
meet future storage requirements. Integration of existing magnetic disk
storage on disparate machines would be an advantage.

Software: UNIX based system with HSM software, PCNFS support, and X
windows. The software should provide an easy configuration
mechanism(preferably X Window based) which allows file migration
parameters to be changed dynamically. Integration of existing magnetic
disk storage on disparate machines would be an advantage.

Warranty and Other: Prospective suppliers may include other information
they consider relevant, but as a minimum must supply information
pertaining to length of warranty; ongoing maintainence prices;
software/hardware standards adherence; consumables prices ie optical
platters and tapes; NFS Specmark figures; magnetic, optical disk and tape
average access figures. Details of reference sites along with contact
information should be included.

Hierarchical Storage Management info required

Post by VERBRUGGEN Ma » Sat, 29 Oct 1994 18:15:20

I am also comparing several technologies to implement HSM and backup for
Unix and Netware file servers.
One of the basic ideas is to use our existing STK4400 silo as storage
server. As such we are looking at Epoch, Nearnet and ADSM.
One of the things that play is of course the price. We currently can
offer 1.5 TB storage on the STK silo. Based on prices we conclude that
ADSM is the cheapest solution, then Nearnet and then Epoch (Primarily
because the Exabytes offered are not performant enough to provide for
migration and must be replaced by opticals, which are much more
expensive. Also the upgrade path with the StorageTek is cheaper)).
Now, ADSM is extremely cheaper than Nearnet, EXCEPT, and this is what I
suspect and want to know, for hidden costs :
a) ADSM is a complete separate environment on MVS, which requires
separate management
b) ADSM uses mainframe DASD as intermediate storage, while Nearnet uses
Sun disks.

I would like to get an idea of those hidden costs (e.g. what is the
price per MB for Unix disks compared to DASD, how to calculate the
management costs). Has anyone done or seen such calculations ?
Thanks
Marc Verbruggen-GZ3             tel : 03.450.33.49
Alcatel Bell Telephone          fax : 03.450.35.95

B-2550 Kontich
Belgium

"System Manager's Headaches Are Not Cured With Aspirin,
 There Is A Better Way ..."

Post by Stefan Ess » Mon, 31 Oct 1994 09:31:13

|> I am also comparing several technologies to implement HSM and backup for
|> Unix and Netware file servers.
|> One of the basic ideas is to use our existing STK4400 silo as storage
|> server. As such we are looking at Epoch, Nearnet and ADSM.
|> One of the things that play is of course the price. We currently can
|> offer 1.5 TB storage on the STK silo. Based on prices we conclude that
|> ADSM is the cheapest solution, then Nearnet and then Epoch (Primarily
|> because the Exabytes offered are not performant enough to provide for
|> migration and must be replaced by opticals, which are much more
|> expensive. Also the upgrade path with the StorageTek is cheaper)).

You can use Epoch with other tape mechanisms besides Exabytes,
for example DEC Linear Tape comes to mind ...

--

 Zentrum fuer Paralleles Rechnen        Tel:            +49 221 4706010
 Universitaet zu Koeln                  FAX:            +49 221 4705160

1. Hierarchical Storage Management Software

I am looking for a software package that will provide Hierarchical
Storage Management for Solaris 2.5. Our Online storage is an EMC disk
barn, the second level storage will be a slower array of disks, and the
third level will be tape (most likely 8mm).

Please CC me via email when posting a reply.

--
+| Derrick Shultz
+| Unix System Administrator

+|
+| <Insert Standard Employer Disclamer Here >

2. remove directory "-m"

3. shell scripts for hierarchical storage management?

4. ftp automated batch copy

5. Evaluating Hierarchical Storage Management Options

6. Stealth II drivers

7. HSM (Hierarchical Storage Management)

8. Very slow NFS performance between AIX client and FreeBSD server

9. STATE-OF-THE-ART REPORT ON HIERARCHICAL STORAGE MANAGEMENT (HSM) S/W

10. UNITREE - Hierarchical Storage and File Management Software

11. Request for Opinion: Hierarchical Storage Management Vendors?

12. Hierarchical Storage Management

13. Configuration Management systems info required