Disk Performance Benchmark

Post by Helen Vanderhei » Sat, 11 Oct 1997 04:00:00

I'm interesting in benchmarking some of the disk drives on our unix
boxes, to see if they might be the cause of some of our performance
problems.  Does anyone know of some software that will compute
statistics on disk performance. Years ago when I worked on the VAX I
had an program that would do this.  I am most interested in something
that will run on Sun Solaris 2.5.

Thank you

Disk Performance Benchmark

Post by Stefan Huert » Sun, 12 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Guckux Helen

> I'm interesting in benchmarking some of the disk drives on our unix
> boxes, to see if they might be the cause of some of our performance
> problems.  Does anyone know of some software that will compute
> statistics on disk performance. Years ago when I worked on the VAX I
> had an program that would do this.  I am most interested in something
> that will run on Sun Solaris 2.5.

simplest version, I think:
time dd if=~/test of=/dev/nul

Bye
     Stefan
--

## CrossPoint 3.11, einfach gut und seltens amok laufend ##
## die Zeile vor dieser wird nur gel?scht, bei Beendigung des ?ffentlichen

Post by Brad Knowl » Mon, 13 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> Guckux Helen

> > I'm interesting in benchmarking some of the disk drives on our unix
> > boxes, to see if they might be the cause of some of our performance
> > problems.  Does anyone know of some software that will compute
> > statistics on disk performance. Years ago when I worked on the VAX I
> > had an program that would do this.  I am most interested in something
> > that will run on Sun Solaris 2.5.

> simplest version, I think:
> time dd if=~/test of=/dev/nul

    If you're looking for a way to load the disk drives so that you can
see how they performed, something like this (but using /vmunix, or some
other decent-size binary file) would be a good start.

    However, you really should look at _System Performance Tuning_ by Mike
Loukides (from O'Reilly & Assoc.) and _Unix Performance Tuning_ from the
editors of _SysAdmin_ magazine.  They'll go into details of how to
properly use sar, iostat, etc... to get to the real details.

--

  comp.mail.sendmail FAQ Maintainer Emeritus
  The comp.mail.sendmail FAQ is now at <http://www.sendmail.org/faq/>

Disk Performance Benchmark

Post by Brad Knowl » Mon, 13 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> Guckux Helen

> > I'm interesting in benchmarking some of the disk drives on our unix
> > boxes, to see if they might be the cause of some of our performance
> > problems.  Does anyone know of some software that will compute
> > statistics on disk performance. Years ago when I worked on the VAX I
> > had an program that would do this.  I am most interested in something
> > that will run on Sun Solaris 2.5.

    Oh, and don't forget the proprietary performance
monitoring/analysis/tuning tolls that may be available from your vendor.

    For example, with HP-UX, you'd want to use HP's own GlancePlus, since
it has access to certain Kernel internal variables that aren't available
to sar and iostat, and it can give you a more complete picture of what's
going on.

    I presume something similar is available from/for Sun Solaris --
perhaps from Sun themselves, perhaps from a third party.

--

Post by Collin Dougla » Tue, 14 Oct 1997 04:00:00

--------------4C8A28BCAE68B9FAE37118F5

> I'm interesting in benchmarking some of the disk drives on our unix
> boxes, to see if they might be the cause of some of our performance
> problems.  Does anyone know of some software that will compute
> statistics on disk performance. Years ago when I worked on the VAX I
> had an program that would do this.  I am most interested in something
> that will run on Sun Solaris 2.5.

> Thank you

Check out
http://www.storagetek.com/StorageTek/software/freeware/index.html

It's a pretty nice selection of disk IO benchmarks called "stkio".

I used this program to help tune a new RAID 5 subsystem and I think it
should compile
just fine on Solaris 2.5

Collin Douglas
UNIX System Administrator
MidFirst Bank, Oklahoma City

--------------4C8A28BCAE68B9FAE37118F5

<HTML>
&nbsp;

<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>I'm interesting in benchmarking some of the disk
drives on our unix
<BR>boxes, to see if they might be the cause of some of our performance
<BR>problems.&nbsp; Does anyone know of some software that will compute
<BR>statistics on disk performance. Years ago when I worked on the VAX
<BR>had an program that would do this.&nbsp; I am most interested in something
<BR>that will run on Sun Solaris 2.5.

<P>Thank you</BLOCKQUOTE>

<P>Check out <A HREF="http://www.storagetek.com/StorageTek/software/freeware/index.html">http://www.storagetek.com/StorageTek/software/freeware/index.html</A><A HREF="http://www.storagetek.com/StorageTek/software/freeware/index.html"></A>

<P>It's a pretty nice selection of disk IO benchmarks called "stkio".

<P>I used this program to help tune a new RAID 5 subsystem and I think
it should compile
<BR>just fine on Solaris 2.5
<BR>&nbsp;

<P>Collin Douglas
<BR>UNIX System Administrator
<BR>MidFirst Bank, Oklahoma City</HTML>

Post by <sa.. » Thu, 16 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> I'm interesting in benchmarking some of the disk drives on our unix
> boxes, to see if they might be the cause of some of our performance
> problems.  Does anyone know of some software that will compute
> statistics on disk performance. Years ago when I worked on the VAX I

ftp.cdrom.com
/pub/unix-c/benchmarks/bonnie

Excerpt from the man page:
       bonnie is a file system benchmark which attempts to  study
       bottlenecks  -  it is named 'Bonnie' for semi-obvious rea-
       sons.

       Specifically, these are the types of  filesystem  activity
       that have been observed to be bottlenecks in I/O-intensive
       applications, in particular the text database work done in
       connection  with the New Oxford English Dictionary Project
       at the University of Waterloo.

       It performs a series of tests on a file of known size.  By
       default,  that size is 100 Mb (but that's not enough - see
       below).  For each test, Bonnie reports the bytes processed
       per  elapsed  second,  per CPU second, and the % CPU usage
       (user and system).

Hope that helps,
  Bernhard

1. how to benchmark disk performance or suppress memory caching

This seems like it should be in a FAQ somewhere, but I can't seem to
find any direct answer to the question.

I have a 6H1 hooked up to a 7133-D40 SSA disk subsystem. I'm trying to
get performance info on the disks. I suspect having two SSA loops as
opposed to one would give us the best performance, but I'd like some
hard numbers to go with this.

Is there a program that will give me this info?

I did try using Bonnie. Besides the fact that it has problems
detecting that I'm running on a 64-bit machine (and hence cannot do
tests larger than 2GB), it also gives the same performance (except for
block-writes) for both setups. My guess is that too much caching is
going on (there's 4GB on the 6H1). Rather than remove all the RAM, I
wanted to know if there was a way to suppress caching, so that it's
all disk that's being tested.

I think vmtune is used for this purpose, but am not sure, and am not
clear what the settings would be.

Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
johnn

2. dynamic pictures oxygen 102 card

3. Benchmarks for performance patches (-ck) for 2.4.19

4. BroadCast 2000 Guide

5. Network performance/benchmarking

6. linux root partition past the 1024 cylinder limit??

7. multi-tasking performance benchmarks for linux vs others??

8. The Tao Of Backup!

9. NFS performance benchmarks

10. Network performance benchmarking & ghostscript problems

11. RH7.1 vs W2K performance benchmarks

12. performance benchmarks with IP Masquerading

13. Benchmarks for hardware/OS performance?