NFS mount from SunOS onto Mac OS X: server not responding

NFS mount from SunOS onto Mac OS X: server not responding

Post by Theodore W. Hal » Sat, 24 Aug 2002 18:15:11



I'm trying to mount a directory over NFS from a Sun file server
(SunOS 5.6) onto a Mac OS X 10.1 (Darwin kernel 5.5), but no luck.
I've tried both the generic mount as well as mount_nfs with various
options.  The SunOS server is not responding.  Here's my latest attempt
(hostnames changed to protect the innocent):

    macosx% sudo mount_nfs -P -b -i -o nosuid,nodev sunos:/vol/dir dir
    nfs server sunos:/vol/dir: not responding

On the SunOS server side:

*  The NFS server is running, and the directory is shared.
    /etc/dfs/sharetab includes:

       /vol/dir - nfs rw=macosx.full.domain.spec:sgi.full.domain.spec

    The directory is shared with the MacOS X client as well as several
    SGI and Sun clients.  All of the other clients mount it successfully.

*  The NFS_PORTMON variable is not set (nfssrv:nfs_portmon does not
    appear in /etc/system).

*  /etc/nsswitch.conf includes:

       hosts:      files       dns

*  nslookup sees the Mac OS X host.

*  telnet, ftp, rlogin, and rsh all accept connections from the Mac.

On the Mac OS X side:

*  I've tried mount with and without sudo (for super-user privileges).
    I've tried it with and without the -P option (to use a reserved socket
    port number).

I've searched Google and found a few web pages pertaining to mounting
NFS on OS X, but nothing to shed any light on this.  Suggestions welcome.

---


 
 
 

NFS mount from SunOS onto Mac OS X: server not responding

Post by s.. » Sat, 24 Aug 2002 18:51:26



> I'm trying to mount a directory over NFS from a Sun file server
> (SunOS 5.6) onto a Mac OS X 10.1 (Darwin kernel 5.5), but no luck.
> I've tried both the generic mount as well as mount_nfs with various
> options.  The SunOS server is not responding.  Here's my latest attempt
> (hostnames changed to protect the innocent):

>     macosx% sudo mount_nfs -P -b -i -o nosuid,nodev sunos:/vol/dir dir
>     nfs server sunos:/vol/dir: not responding

> On the SunOS server side:

> *  The NFS server is running, and the directory is shared.
>     /etc/dfs/sharetab includes:

>        /vol/dir - nfs rw=macosx.full.domain.spec:sgi.full.domain.spec

>     The directory is shared with the MacOS X client as well as several
>     SGI and Sun clients.  All of the other clients mount it successfully.

> *  The NFS_PORTMON variable is not set (nfssrv:nfs_portmon does not
>     appear in /etc/system).

> *  /etc/nsswitch.conf includes:

>        hosts:      files       dns

> *  nslookup sees the Mac OS X host.

> *  telnet, ftp, rlogin, and rsh all accept connections from the Mac.

> On the Mac OS X side:

> *  I've tried mount with and without sudo (for super-user privileges).
>     I've tried it with and without the -P option (to use a reserved socket
>     port number).

> I've searched Google and found a few web pages pertaining to mounting
> NFS on OS X, but nothing to shed any light on this.  Suggestions welcome.

> ---



I need to know the same answer.  Why in the world isn't there an app like
OpenStep's NFSManager.app, that allows setting permissions per volume to
export?

-- Lee

--
`You have learned that they were told, "Love your neighbour, hate your
enemy."  But what I tell you is this:  Love your enemies.'
======================================================================
Lee Altenberg, Ph.D.
E-mail: spam AT dynamics DOTT org
======================================================================

 
 
 

NFS mount from SunOS onto Mac OS X: server not responding

Post by Ken Prage » Sat, 24 Aug 2002 21:15:03





> > I'm trying to mount a directory over NFS from a Sun file server
> > (SunOS 5.6) onto a Mac OS X 10.1 (Darwin kernel 5.5), but no luck.

> > [snip]

> I need to know the same answer.  Why in the world isn't there an app like
> OpenStep's NFSManager.app, that allows setting permissions per volume to
> export?

> -- Lee

There is!

<http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=9301&db=mac>

and it rocks.

KP

--
Remove _me_ for e-mail address

 
 
 

NFS mount from SunOS onto Mac OS X: server not responding

Post by Theodore W. Hal » Sun, 25 Aug 2002 01:22:36




 >>
 >> I need to know the same answer.  Why in the world isn't there an app like
 >> OpenStep's NFSManager.app, that allows setting permissions per volume to
 >> export?
 >
 > There is!
 >
 > <http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=9301&db=mac>
 >
 > and it rocks.


> Slightly off topic but I successfully mount a couple of Irix boxes on my
> osX.2 mac following the ingredients found at:

> http://www.fxguide.com/modules.php?name=Tips&rop=showcontent&id=120

Thanks, all.  Yes, I've seen references to NFSManager, as well as NetInfo
instructions -- for example:

    http://www.withay.com/macosx/nfs-client.html
    http://www.macobserver.com/tips/hotcocoa/2001/20010723.shtml
    http://www.bresink.de/osx/DocsNFSManager/import.html
    http://bresink.de/osx/nis.html
    http://web.mit.edu/is/help/macos/macosx/OSXfilesharing/#NFS

The first URL above states:

    Mounting NFS filesystems on OS X can be done simply by running:

       sudo mount nfsserver:/exported/path /private/mnt

Well, I tried that, but the server's not responding.

    The best way, however, is to add the information to NetInfo, and let
    the automounter handle everything.

The URL continues with very nice NetInfo instructions.  But as long as
the "simple" command line method isn't working, I'm reluctant to try it
through NetInfo, and maybe end up with a system that hangs during reboot.

The OS X man pages imply that I ought to be able to mount from the command
line, or by adding an entry to /etc/fstab and relying on automount's
-fstab map.  (That was actually the first thing I tried; then fell back to
the command line; then started searching for answers and found the NetInfo
instructions.)  I don't know how NetInfo interacts with automount.  Does
NetInfo actually launch automount?

It may be that NFSManager or NetInfo apply some mount option that I'm
missing; maybe it affects the communication protocol.  Maybe I'll just have
to trust it to NetInfo.  But I'd sure like to see it work from the command
line first.

If you have a have a successful NFS mount, could you maybe do a

    ps -ax | grep mount

and look at the command options?  Post them here or mail them privately?
Thanks.

---


 
 
 

NFS mount from SunOS onto Mac OS X: server not responding

Post by Ken Prage » Sun, 25 Aug 2002 01:33:38







>  >> I need to know the same answer.  Why in the world isn't there an app like
>  >> OpenStep's NFSManager.app, that allows setting permissions per volume to
>  >> export?

>  > There is!

>  > <http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=9301&db=mac>

>  > and it rocks.

> Thanks, all.  Yes, I've seen references to NFSManager, as well as NetInfo
> instructions -- for example:

>     http://www.withay.com/macosx/nfs-client.html
>     http://www.macobserver.com/tips/hotcocoa/2001/20010723.shtml
>     http://www.bresink.de/osx/DocsNFSManager/import.html
>     http://bresink.de/osx/nis.html
>     http://web.mit.edu/is/help/macos/macosx/OSXfilesharing/#NFS

> The first URL above states:

>     Mounting NFS filesystems on OS X can be done simply by running:

>        sudo mount nfsserver:/exported/path /private/mnt

> Well, I tried that, but the server's not responding.

>     The best way, however, is to add the information to NetInfo, and let
>     the automounter handle everything.

> The URL continues with very nice NetInfo instructions.  But as long as
> the "simple" command line method isn't working, I'm reluctant to try it
> through NetInfo, and maybe end up with a system that hangs during reboot.

> The OS X man pages imply that I ought to be able to mount from the command
> line, or by adding an entry to /etc/fstab and relying on automount's
> -fstab map.  (That was actually the first thing I tried; then fell back to
> the command line; then started searching for answers and found the NetInfo
> instructions.)  I don't know how NetInfo interacts with automount.  Does
> NetInfo actually launch automount?

> It may be that NFSManager or NetInfo apply some mount option that I'm
> missing; maybe it affects the communication protocol.  Maybe I'll just have
> to trust it to NetInfo.  But I'd sure like to see it work from the command
> line first.

> If you have a have a successful NFS mount, could you maybe do a

>     ps -ax | grep mount

> and look at the command options?  Post them here or mail them privately?
> Thanks.

Here you go...

[64:~] prager% ps -ax | grep mount
  125  ??  Ss     0:08.76 /sbin/autodiskmount -va
  282  ??  Ss     0:00.09 automount -m /Network/Servers -fstab -m
/automount -static
 1751 std  S+     0:00.00 grep mount

I used NFSManager to set up the mounts of a couple of Sun disks over a
year ago and it has worked fine ever since.  Have you tried NFSManager?

Ken

--
Remove _me_ for e-mail address

 
 
 

NFS mount from SunOS onto Mac OS X: server not responding

Post by Schone Mulleri » Sun, 25 Aug 2002 01:47:11




>> If you have a have a successful NFS mount, could you maybe do a

>>     ps -ax | grep mount

>> and look at the command options?  Post them here or mail them privately?
>> Thanks.

> Here you go...

> [64:~] prager% ps -ax | grep mount
>   125  ??  Ss     0:08.76 /sbin/autodiskmount -va
>   282  ??  Ss     0:00.09 automount -m /Network/Servers -fstab -m
> /automount -static

Almost exactly the same thing here, except one additional option on
automount:

 automount -f -m /Network/Servers -fstab -m /automount -static

My nfs volumes are from solaris servers.  They're mounted
automatically at boot time, via specifications in the 'mounts'
directory of NetInfo.

--
d f-d

 
 
 

NFS mount from SunOS onto Mac OS X: server not responding

Post by Dave Seam » Sun, 25 Aug 2002 02:22:47




Quote:

>If you have a have a successful NFS mount, could you maybe do a

>    ps -ax | grep mount

>and look at the command options?  Post them here or mail them privately?

This shows an automount from a Sun workstation.

[davesmac:seaman/u62/dseaman] dseaman% nidump -r /mounts .
{
  "name" = ( "mounts" );
  CHILDREN = (
    {
      "vfstype" = ( "nfs" );
      "name" = ( "seaman:/home/seaman/u62" );
      "opts" = ( "-s", "-P", "net", "-b" );
    }
  )

Quote:}

[davesmac:seaman/u62/dseaman] dseaman% ps -ax | grep mount
   96  ??  Ss     0:00.83 /sbin/autodiskmount -va
  278  ??  Ss     0:00.04 mountd
  289  ??  Ss     0:00.22 automount -m /Network/Servers -fstab -m /automount -s
[davesmac:seaman/u62/dseaman] dseaman% pwd
/private/Network/Servers/seaman/home/seaman/u62/dseaman
[davesmac:seaman/u62/dseaman] dseaman%

--

Mumia Abu-Jamal's attorneys present evidence of innocence.
<http://www.freemumia.com/>

 
 
 

NFS mount from SunOS onto Mac OS X: server not responding

Post by Doug Freyburg » Sun, 25 Aug 2002 04:28:16



>     macosx% sudo mount_nfs -P -b -i -o nosuid,nodev sunos:/vol/dir dir
>     nfs server sunos:/vol/dir: not responding

>     /etc/dfs/sharetab includes:

>        /vol/dir - nfs rw=macosx.full.domain.spec:sgi.full.domain.spec

Is the directory you want to mount really "/vol/dir" or did you change the
actual name for this example?  Under the typical Solaris configuration, /vol
is not a real directory.  It is the program /usr/sbin/vold emulating many of
the behaviors of a real directory.  The program does NOT emulate every
behavior of a real directory.  Among the functions not emulated are NFS
exports.

The get it to work in the short term, kill /usr/sbin/vold.

To fix the problem correctly, rename the directory out of the /vol tree into
a name that is a real directory.

 
 
 

NFS mount from SunOS onto Mac OS X: server not responding

Post by Theodore W. Hal » Sun, 25 Aug 2002 16:36:51



> Is the directory you want to mount really "/vol/dir" or did you change the
> actual name for this example?

I just used that for the example.  An unfortunate choice, I guess.  The
actual directory that I'm attempting to mount is the parent of the home
directories.  Nothing special about it.  As I mentioned, it has been
mounted on several other Sun and SGI workstations, but the Sun server doesn't
respond when I try to mount it on my Mac OS X.

Thanks, everyone, for your input.  I don't have time to deal with this now,
but I'll get to it ASAP.  On first glance, the mount options look similar
to what I see.  I'll have to give 'em a closer look.

---

Ted Hall

 
 
 

NFS mount from SunOS onto Mac OS X: server not responding

Post by Sean P. Bur » Mon, 26 Aug 2002 14:01:32




> > Is the directory you want to mount really "/vol/dir" or did you
> > change the
> > actual name for this example?

> I just used that for the example.  An unfortunate choice, I guess.  The
> actual directory that I'm attempting to mount is the parent of the home
> directories.  Nothing special about it.  As I mentioned, it has been
> mounted on several other Sun and SGI workstations, but the Sun server doesn't
> respond when I try to mount it on my Mac OS X.

> Thanks, everyone, for your input.  I don't have time to deal with this now,
> but I'll get to it ASAP.  On first glance, the mount options look similar
> to what I see.  I'll have to give 'em a closer look.

Just to let you know, I'm mounting NFS from a Solaris server
to MacOSX, and I don't recall having done anything special
to get it working. A simple "sudo mount server:/export/home /home"
does it for me.

Also, I think it's suggestive that you're getting a "server not
responding" error - most of the mistakes you can make produce
"Permission denied" errors. Is there any network funkiness between
you and the NFS server? Firewall, for example? A firewall that
passwd TCP would allow telnet, rlogin, etc to work, but if it
blocked UDP, NFS v2 would not work. I don't know if 10.1 supports
NFS v3, with TCP transport.

-SEan

 
 
 

NFS mount from SunOS onto Mac OS X: server not responding

Post by Theodore W. Hal » Wed, 28 Aug 2002 19:32:09


 >
 > Just to let you know, I'm mounting NFS from a Solaris server
 > to MacOSX, and I don't recall having done anything special
 > to get it working. A simple "sudo mount server:/export/home /home"
 > does it for me.
 >
 > Also, I think it's suggestive that you're getting a "server not
 > responding" error - most of the mistakes you can make produce
 > "Permission denied" errors. Is there any network funkiness between
 > you and the NFS server? Firewall, for example? A firewall that
 > passwd TCP would allow telnet, rlogin, etc to work, but if it
 > blocked UDP, NFS v2 would not work. I don't know if 10.1 supports
 > NFS v3, with TCP transport.

After hours of beating my head against this, I finally tried mounting
a different directory from an SGI IRIX host, and it worked beautifully!

Back on the SunOS server, the `share` command and the file
/etc/rmtab show that the server thinks it has exported the directory
to the Mac OS X client, and that the Mac has actually mounted it.
  From the server's point of view, everything looks okay, but all the
client does is stall and complain that the server's not responding.
It just waits for some kind of reply from the Sun that never comes.
If I interrupt the mount command (because it never completes), the
local mount point is left in some intermediate state; it behaves
somewhat as if something is mounted there.  For example, if I try to
`ls`, it hangs as if it's still trying to access the server (that
never responds), instead of simply listing an empty directory.

No such problem mounting from the SGI.  Also, the SGI successfully
mounts the same Sun directory that's causing me such trouble on the
Mac client:

     SunOS:/a/people   -->   MacOSX   "server not responding"
                       -->   IRIX     (no problem)

     IRIX:/mnt1/usr    -->   MacOSX   (no problem)

(In case there's any doubt: On the IRIX host, the mount point for
   the SunOS directory is unrelated to the exported IRIX directory;
   they're on different drives.)

I can't find any problem with tcp or udp port settings, firewalls, ...

I've tried options to force NFS v3 or v2 (according to `man mount_nfs`,
the default is to try v3 first, and fall back to v2 if v3 fails); TCP
or UDP; reserved socket port number, or not; ...

Wondering whether it could have anything to do with file locks ...

Still beating my head ...

---

Ted Hall

 
 
 

NFS mount from SunOS onto Mac OS X: server not responding

Post by Casper H.S. Di » Fri, 30 Aug 2002 18:35:49



Quote:>Back on the SunOS server, the `share` command and the file
>/etc/rmtab show that the server thinks it has exported the directory
>to the Mac OS X client, and that the Mac has actually mounted it.
>  From the server's point of view, everything looks okay, but all the
>client does is stall and complain that the server's not responding.
>It just waits for some kind of reply from the Sun that never comes.
>If I interrupt the mount command (because it never completes), the
>local mount point is left in some intermediate state; it behaves
>somewhat as if something is mounted there.  For example, if I try to
>`ls`, it hangs as if it's still trying to access the server (that
>never responds), instead of simply listing an empty directory.

Try running snoop (on the Solaris system) or tcpdump and see
what packets go out and come back (or don't come back)
Does the Solaris server log any messages?

Casper
--
Expressed in this posting are my opinions.  They are in no way related
to opinions held by my employer, Sun Microsystems.
Statements on Sun products included here are not gospel and may
be fiction rather than truth.

 
 
 

NFS mount from SunOS onto Mac OS X: server not responding

Post by Theodore W. Hal » Wed, 11 Sep 2002 20:21:59



> After hours of beating my head against this ...

Mystery solved.  Anyone interested, read on ...

The MacOSX mount_nfs command includes a "-c" option:

   -c   For UDP mount points, do not do a connect(2).  This
        must be used for servers that do not reply to requests
        from the standard NFS port number 2049.

BUT, what the man page doesn't say is that this option may also be
necessary if the server has multiple IP addresses, as our SunOS server
has.  I learned _that_ by reading the "NFS Manager" help pages.

I had tried the "-c" option before, but only after first trying to
mount without it.  Unfortunately, that leaves the mount point in some
indeterminate, useless state that can only be cleared by rebooting.  So,
"-c" didn't work the first time I tried it, and I put it aside as not
relevant (judging from the man page).

After reading the "NFS Manager" help, I tried the "-c" option again
on a fresh mount point, and it worked.

So, in conclusion, this works for mounting from a multi-IP-address
SunOS server:

    mount -t nfs -o nodev,nosuid,-c server:path path

Without the ",-c" , the local mount point becomes unusable until after
a reboot.

--------

Ted Hall