change to new gid or new group name all files of given group name or gid

change to new gid or new group name all files of given group name or gid

Post by Mario Desideri » Fri, 20 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Hello,

I need to reorganize group names and gid in a server.

If possible could you send me the command line or korn shell to change
to a new group id number and new group name for all the files of a given
old group name or old gid in all the file systems.

Off course, new group name and new gid have already being defined in
/etc/group and also user have being updated to new gid in /etc/passwd.

Thank you very much,

Mario Desiderio

change to new gid or new group name all files of given group name or gid

Post by Barry Margoli » Fri, 20 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>If possible could you send me the command line or korn shell to change
>to a new group id number and new group name for all the files of a given
>old group name or old gid in all the file systems.

find / -group <old> ! -type l -print | xargs chgrp <new>

Depending on your shell, the '!' may need to be escaped.

Post by Sylvain Robitail » Sun, 29 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> If possible could you send me the command line or korn shell to change
> to a new group id number and new group name for all the files of a given
> old group name or old gid in all the file systems.

Here's what I do:
# find / -group oldgroup -exec chgrp newgroup {} \;

Hope that helps...

Systems Manager                                   Concordia University
Instructional & Information Technology        Montreal, Quebec, Canada

1. change group name and gid for all files of given old group name or old gid

Hello,

I need to reorganize group names and gid in a server.

If possible could you send me the command line or korn shell to change
to a new group id number and new group name for all the files of a given
old group name or old gid in all the file systems.

Off course, new group name and new gid have already being defined in
/etc/group and also user have being updated to new gid in /etc/passwd.

Thank you very much,

Mario Desiderio

2. Alt key not working in Emacs in Mandrake 8.0

3. change group id for all files of a given group name ?

4. rsh and strace Problems

5. Change a particular group's GID on files system-wide

6. Help with module errors...with no modules

7. New to this group: Is there a FAQ file for this group available somewhere?

8. routing

9. GURUS: user has two groups - new files inherit group from current dir - HOW?

11. no subscribed groups in 'group.name'

12. ls -l displays numeric group id-not group name

13. Names of new C.O.L groups?