How do I set default boot device on Sun3/50

How do I set default boot device on Sun3/50

Post by Chris Gent » Sat, 22 Jun 1996 04:00:00

I have been unable to locate documentation for an old Sun 3/50 that we
have.  I need to set the default boot device to the ethernet interface.
I'm using it as a diskless client and I can boot it manually with 'b
le()'.  How can I make it do this by default?

Also, does anyone know if there is any documentation/FAQs on the Net for
the old Sun 3 machines ?

Thanks.

 Chris Gentle                           | Software Engineer/Sys Admin

 ---------------------------------------| IFTE Laboratory
 Telephone:  (205) 876-5570             | Redstone Arsenal
 Hours Available:  8:00am - 4:30pm CST  | Huntsville, Alabama

Post by Philippe Mich » Sat, 22 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>I have been unable to locate documentation for an old Sun 3/50 that we
>have.  I need to set the default boot device to the ethernet interface.
>I'm using it as a diskless client and I can boot it manually with 'b
>le()'.  How can I make it do this by default?

You should change it in the EEPROM:

L1-A

Quote:> q 18

12       # 12 = don't poll boot devices, use what is set at 19 - 1d
6c       # l
65       # e
0
0
0 .

Quote:>Also, does anyone know if there is any documentation/FAQs on the Net for
>the old Sun 3 machines ?

A FAQ is (used to be ?) posted in comp.sys.sun.hardware and contains
useful information about old machines.

How do I set default boot device on Sun3/50

Post by Andru Luvi » Sat, 22 Jun 1996 04:00:00

there's also all sorts of great stuff at http://doener.unix-ag.uni-kl.de/
(the sun3 archive), including pointers to various related faqs.

andru

1. How to boot sun3/50

Hi,

I have compiled a netbsd kernel(1.3) for the sun3/50 architecture in order to
boot in diskless mode.
But when the sun try to mount the partitions i have got a message like
this:
        nfs boot timeout.
The server is a linux box with the nfs support enable.
Someone have already got this problem and can tell me how i can solve it?
Perhaps i should try another kernel??(which one then?).

Thanks.
--

                The Only Stupid Question Is The Unasked One

2. My ppp script (long)

3. Booting a Sun3/50 with root on NFS.

4. SyQuest's (new?) EZ-Flyer 230: Linux-friendly?

5. Booting a Sun3/50 with root on NFS

6. Help please!!!!!!!

7. UPS for Sun3/50 at home

8. undeletable file on reiserfs

9. SUN3/50 Ethernet Problem

10. query: example sun3/50 scsi drivers

11. Install NetBSD on Sun3/50 - a good idea?

12. Sun3/50 & NetBSD X11R6

13. sun3/50 as xterminal