What is /opt for and more...

Post by Stefan Monnie » Fri, 27 Sep 1996 04:00:00

> I guess this made me wonder what is the /opt directory for anyway.
> Anyone know it origins?

I put whatever wants to be put in /opt (mostly Sun apps and tools) in /opt.
And I put all the rest quite naturally into /usr/local (or /usr/licensed
for others). I expect sun-specific tools will want to go to /opt, whereas
"normal" apps don't care about such os-specific conventions.

        Stefan

What is /opt for and more...

Post by Vegard Bakk » Sat, 28 Sep 1996 04:00:00

> > I guess this made me wonder what is the /opt directory for anyway.
> > Anyone know it origins?

> I put whatever wants to be put in /opt (mostly Sun apps and tools) in /opt.
> And I put all the rest quite naturally into /usr/local (or /usr/licensed
> for others). I expect sun-specific tools will want to go to /opt, whereas
> "normal" apps don't care about such os-specific conventions.

>         Stefan

In HP-UX 10, /usr is for 'Sharable operating system commands, libraries,
and documentation.'
And /opt for 'Applications.'

Vegard

| snailto: Vegard Bakke, Kirkegt. 9, 3600 Kongsberg, Norway |

|                   traceroute 127.0.0.1                    |

What is /opt for and more...

Post by Roger Denhol » Mon, 30 Sep 1996 04:00:00

>> > I guess this made me wonder what is the /opt directory for anyway.
>> > Anyone know it origins?

>In HP-UX 10, /usr is for 'Sharable operating system commands, libraries,
>and documentation.'
>And /opt for 'Applications.'

snip

The SV.4 doco from HP describes /opt as a static filesystem. Should
be used for application binaries.
/var/opt is where the data from the /opt applications should go.

cheers
Roger

1. how to move a package from /opt to /OPT?

Hi,

I have the following problem: the answerbook was installed on a local
disk in /opt/, however now the local disk is named /OPT/.  How can
update the package information and tell the system to look in the
/OPT/ directory instead of /opt/ without going back to the CD-ROM?  It
looks like I need to change the BASEDIR variable.  Editing
/var/sadm/pkg/SUNWaadm/pkinfo and /opt/SUNWaadm/ab_cardcatalog doesn't
look like the right solution but I found no command for this.

Thanks for any help,
        Joerg Hoehle.

2. /usr/src/linux-*/net

3. Should local software go in /opt or /opt/local?

4. Filesystem Stat?

5. /usr/bin, /usr/local/bin, /sbin or /opt/bin, /var/opt/bin - I'm confused.

6. Via AGP Support

7. /var/opt, /opt

8. Shell with wild card search and replace?

9. Matrox Mystique ands X.

11. I am with the following error, when i am running lilo...

12. Am I touchy? Or am I right?