Ca-Unicenter users

Post by Andrew Rowle » Sat, 13 Jun 1998 04:00:00

I am interested in knowing how many people out there are using
CA-Unicenter.

We are installing it, and my impression of it is that there hasn't been a
lot of real world feedback into the product. The concepts of what it is
trying to do are good, but in a lot of cases the implementation leaves
something to be desired.

I'm also interested in knowing how many people have or are planning to
upgrade to V2 from version 1.x. In version 2 there is no longer a X windows
GUI for the unix systems. All management must be done from TNG on Windows
NT. It seems to me that this would be a major issue for sites that have
been using 1.x and are happily using the current GUI. I wouldn't expect
that they would be happy about having to get an NT system for anyone who
needs access to administer Unicenter. CA don't seem too concerned, however.

Has anyone encountered these issues yet? What did you do?

Andrew

Ca-Unicenter users

Post by Andrew Rowle » Sat, 13 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> The NT requirement is possibly why lots of UNIX shops are passing on
> CA UNICENTER.  It's a very mainframe-centric view of the IS world.
> Most UNIX shops are anything but this.  BMC Patrol is another system
> monitoring tool that you may consider.

> Personally, I wouldn't consider any UNIX application that required
> NT to be of any use (Samba excepted).

As an MVS sysprog, the mainframe like bits are what I like eg. the ability
to schedule complex jobstreams etc. It's the implementation that I don't
like. There's nothing wrong with the mainframe view of the world.

Unix is to MVS what NT is to Unix. NT people probably don't like the Unix
view of the world. Not that I want to start an advocacy war! Different
tools for different jobs I say.

Andrew

1. CA-UniCenter/TNG: any users?

In view of upcoming implementations, I am trying to find a newsgroup in
which questions or experiences with UniCenter/TNG are discussed (or for
that matter the current "plain" UniCenter).

I haven't found any likely newsgroups except this one. So. is there
anybody out there who is using TNG; or is there anybody who can point
me to a more appropriate newsgroup.

3. CA-Unicenter, Comments please

4. What's your *favourite* Linux colour printer?

5. CA-Unicenter success stories - ?????

6. Set source mail address

7. CA-Unicenter or Equivalent

8. Video Driver?, Number 9 Imagine 128 series2

9. launching programs w/CA-UNICENTER

10. Considering Using CA-Unicenter

11. intro..and first posting on CA-unicenter

12. CA-Unicenter -- info please

13. CA-unicenter or equivalent