FTP and RCP Freezing randomly during Transfer.

FTP and RCP Freezing randomly during Transfer.

Post by Doug Greenwa » Tue, 05 Oct 1993 23:05:48

howdy,

i'm posting this a bit widely considering that it's an ultrix box, but i've
seen the question asked for other platforms.  i've checked FAQ's and came up
empty.

i've got an ultrix box (4.2) that until recently has been fine.  now it will
only transfer part of a file using either ftp or rcp.  it doesn't always
transfer the same amount of the file.  with rcp, sometimes it just creates
an empty file.

the machine i'm trying to transfer from is a sun 4/330.  the network in between
the machines includes cabletron MMAC's with twisted pair modules and a cisco
gateway.

any pointers to what i could or should be looking for?

                                doug.

--

Sun System Administrator             (216) 962 3145
ICOMP, NASA Lewis Research Center, Ohio Aerospace Institute

Post by John C. Be » Tue, 05 Oct 1993 23:27:04

|> howdy,
|>
|> i'm posting this a bit widely considering that it's an ultrix box, but i've
|> seen the question asked for other platforms.  i've checked FAQ's and came up
|> empty.
|>
|> i've got an ultrix box (4.2) that until recently has been fine.  now it will
|> only transfer part of a file using either ftp or rcp.  it doesn't always
|> transfer the same amount of the file.  with rcp, sometimes it just creates
|> an empty file.
|>
|> the machine i'm trying to transfer from is a sun 4/330.  the network in between
|> the machines includes cabletron MMAC's with twisted pair modules and a cisco
|> gateway.
|>
|> any pointers to what i could or should be looking for?

You might want to check the netmask on the source and destination machines.

--

John C. Berg                   *********************************************
Corporate Information Services *************      CAUTION      *************

(309) 578-8470                 *********************************************

          "Our Blessed Lady of Acceleration, don't fail me now!"
                                                          -Elwood Blues

1. SLIP freezes during large FTP or WWW transfers

I have an AMD DX4/100 based computer with 8MB RAM and an internal USR
Sportster 14.4 running kernel 1.3.27.  Just for reference, I've had the
same problem I'm about to describe running on other friends' computers,
with other brands of modems, and other kernels, namely 1.2.8 and 1.2.13.

While using FTP or Netscape 1.1 to download large files, my SLIP
connection will freeze at some random point during the transfer.  The
modem is still connected, DIP is still running, but PING requests that I
send out never come back.

My SLIP provider is using a CISCO terminal server with Practical
Peripherals 14.4 FXMT2 modems.  They recommend an MTU setting of 1006.
I've tried MTU's of 296, 1006, and 1500 with the same results. They said
they had similar problems a year earlier when people were using the wrong
MTU, but after they adjusted the CISCO box to 1006, they haven't had any
complaints.

I've had this problem also under WFW 3.11 using the older Trumpet Winsock
and Win95 using Microsoft's SLIP driver off the Win95 CD.

Mine and my friends' phone lines have no unusual problems with line noise.

I've already tried recompiling the kernel with PC/TCP compatibility to no avail.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a solution or other troubleshooting I
could do?

Thanks!

2. How to permanently mount CD and Dos partitions?

3. BIZARRE Solaris 2.6 FTP/POP/RCP/NFS Transfer Hangups

4. 7th USENIX Security Symposium - Conference Program

5. freeze during ftp, help!

6. kerneld failure under 2.0.x kernel

7. Incorrect packet ACK during FTP transfers

8. Reconfiguring /bin/mail to handle virtual domains...

9. Problem with stalling during ftp transfers

10. Corruption of files during FTP transfer?

11. Steppwhise mouse-moving during http/ftp-transfers

12. Help! FTP falls asleep during transfers

13. System hangs during an ftp transfer