Can I monitor real-time net traffic of a UNIX work station?

Can I monitor real-time net traffic of a UNIX work station?

Post by Linhui » Thu, 14 Mar 2002 15:15:06

Dear all,

We have a UNIX work station which connects directly to Internet. How
can we fulfill real-time monitoring of its network traffic by any
software? I refer to any application like the network statistics
utility adapted on Windows2000. Can I find something similar for UNIX
platform?

The software should be able to monitor sendmail traffic as well.

Thanks for reading this.

---
Linhui

Can I monitor real-time net traffic of a UNIX work station?

Post by Michael Heimin » Thu, 14 Mar 2002 19:34:27

Quote:> Dear all,

> We have a UNIX work station which connects directly to Internet.
> How can we fulfill real-time monitoring of its network traffic by
> any software? I refer to any application like the network
> statistics utility adapted on Windows2000. Can I find something

Never heard.

Quote:> similar for UNIX platform?

Perhaps you could try 'ntop', running in web mode, this might be
what you want, check www.freshmeat.net, you should find the source
over there.

Michael Heiming
--
Remove the +SIGNS case mail bounces.

I think what you want is ntop (http://www.ntop.org/ntop.html)
--
Quentyn Taylor

Can I monitor real-time net traffic of a UNIX work station?

Post by Andreas K?h? » Fri, 15 Mar 2002 06:31:43

Submitted by Linhui Ye to comp.unix.admin:

Quote:> Dear all,

On Linux, try iptraf: http://cebu.mozcom.com/riker/iptraf/

--
Andreas K?h?ri (on a slow news feed)
NetBSD: En Vax i handen ?r b?ttre ?n tio p? skroten.