Cross-platform backups via tar/dump/other?

Cross-platform backups via tar/dump/other?

Post by Scott Wegene » Mon, 14 Apr 2003 05:20:43

Hey all.  I know _one_ of these OSes isn't exactly appropriate for the
group, but also that it's likely some of you have done exactly the same
thing.

Here's the scenario-
Linux SMP server running NFS and samba for filesharing and backups.
Dual boot laptop running Gentoo/Linux and XP. (actually and RH7.3, but
irrelevant here..)
Laptop is configured with XP on NTFS but all data is mounted from a vfat
partition, allowing data sharing when booted into Linux.

What I'd like to do is a standard backup of the 'win data disk'
periodically to the Linux server.  eg first a full backup, then
incrementals as desired.  Tar and gzip/bzip2 should be ideal here, at
least in the fact they can handle the incremental, and I'd _really_ like
to avoid any use of the M$ backup tools, as some of the data being
backed up includes source code for C, C++ and java that's
cross-platform- in other words, I do potentially have the need to
restore this data to a linux native partition on the server, or on
another networked box occasionally.

So, the question becomes these:
1.  I do run Cygwin on the Windows installation- anyone know if it's
100% compatible with standard GNU tar, or any gotchas involved in just
using Cygwin tar for backups of this data?

2.  I'm running a pretty full install of the Cygwin tools, but AFAIK,
you need to be running a Cygwin shell to use many/all of the tools, eg
cron for incrementals- any decent solution to this one, not requiring a
bash window be up at all times?

3.  Any better ideas out there?  Best I'm conign up with offhand is
along the lines of figuring out Windows Scheduling, which I believe
finally exists(sorry, I'm a Unix developer/admin, can't stand Win but
have to have it on this system..), and having it call a shell script
under Cygwin.

Thanks in Advance,

Scott

Post by Rev. Don Koo » Mon, 14 Apr 2003 06:17:56

> Hey all.  I know _one_ of these OSes isn't exactly appropriate for the
> group, but also that it's likely some of you have done exactly the same
> thing.

        Actually none of the operating systems that you mention are appropriate
for this newsgroup because this newsgroup is for the discussion of UNIX
systems administration.  None of the operating systems that you
mentioned are UNIX operating systems.

                Hope this helps,
                        Don

--
***************************   Q: How many frenchmen does it take
* Rev. Don McDonald, SCNA *      to defend Paris?

Cross-platform backups via tar/dump/other?

Post by daveh.. » Mon, 14 Apr 2003 23:04:32

Quote:> Here's the scenario-
> Linux SMP server running NFS and samba for filesharing and backups.
> Dual boot laptop running Gentoo/Linux and XP. (actually and RH7.3, but
> irrelevant here..)

Can you use Amanda on the Linux box, and then mount the XP stuff using
smbclient or something?

Quote:> Laptop is configured with XP on NTFS but all data is mounted from a vfat
> partition, allowing data sharing when booted into Linux.

If you can tolerate not backing up from Windoze directly and booting into
Linux to back it up, Amanda would handle everything without getting *.
If you want to leave the 'doze box in XP, you can probably have it share
it out & mount it from the backup server.

I think cygwin just confuses things in this situation; if you can boot into
Linux to back up your data, no problems; you might even be able to tell
'doze to reboot, let your boot manager handle bringing it back into Linux,
let it do the backups, and then go back to 'doze if  you want to.  Or, if
you find the Samba set of tools that (I think) can also let you mount the
Doze file system from Linux (backwards of how Samba usually is used, but I
think there's a way to do that), then maybe you could yank it that way.

In any case, the webpages for the Amanda backup application are probably
a great place to start.  I'm sure someone is using it in the way you describe.

Hope this helps,
Dave Hinz

Post by Scott Wegene » Tue, 15 Apr 2003 08:15:56

>> Hey all.  I know _one_ of these OSes isn't exactly appropriate for the
>> group, but also that it's likely some of you have done exactly the
>> same thing.

>     Actually none of the operating systems that you mention are
> appropriate for this newsgroup because this newsgroup is for the
> discussion of UNIX systems administration.  None of the operating
> systems that you mentioned are UNIX operating systems.

>         Hope this helps,
>             Don

Well, Don, I now see who has nothing better to do than dispute the
meaning of the comp.unix.admin FAQ- why don't you take a look at it
sometime, and note the number of times that Linux is specifically
_included_ in the newsgroups FAQ?

An example direct from the FAQ in case you're impaired and only able to
spew 'inappropriate content' sorts of messages:

Subject: 4. Are there any magazines that deal with system administration?

Linux Journal <http://www.veryComputer.com/;

Note that I have no problem in coming down on people for obviously
off-topic posts, and have been using USENET for ~10 years, very _rarely_
getting this type of *response back myself, but:

1.  The groups' FAQ itself includeds Linux in it's purpose.
2.  The FAQ also states Linux is a Unix clone.
3.  I've administered anything from AIX to SCO, Solaris, HP-UX and Linux
systems, and sorry, this is a pretty generic question, although I'll
admint as with _any_ Unix question, the answer _could_ become OS
specific, but can also likely be answered in terms of a
generic/vendor-neutral solution as well.
4. Just as an FYI, Linux isn't exactly 'LINTEL'- I take it you've never
run Linux on a Sparc box, or an Alpha, among others?

So please, get off your high-horse already, and save it for topics that
are obviously off-topic.

Note- this isn't meant to pick a fight, just point out the fact that
this post certainly IS in accordance with the guidelines of the FAQ.

Scott

Post by Scott Wegene » Tue, 15 Apr 2003 08:26:07

>>Here's the scenario-
>>Linux SMP server running NFS and samba for filesharing and backups.
>>Dual boot laptop running Gentoo/Linux and XP. (actually and RH7.3, but
>>irrelevant here..)

> Can you use Amanda on the Linux box, and then mount the XP stuff using
> smbclient or something?

>>Laptop is configured with XP on NTFS but all data is mounted from a vfat
>>partition, allowing data sharing when booted into Linux.

> If you can tolerate not backing up from Windoze directly and booting into
> Linux to back it up, Amanda would handle everything without getting *.
> If you want to leave the 'doze box in XP, you can probably have it share
> it out & mount it from the backup server.

> I think cygwin just confuses things in this situation; if you can boot into
> Linux to back up your data, no problems; you might even be able to tell
> 'doze to reboot, let your boot manager handle bringing it back into Linux,
> let it do the backups, and then go back to 'doze if  you want to.  Or, if
> you find the Samba set of tools that (I think) can also let you mount the
> Doze file system from Linux (backwards of how Samba usually is used, but I
> think there's a way to do that), then maybe you could yank it that way.

> In any case, the webpages for the Amanda backup application are probably
> a great place to start.  I'm sure someone is using it in the way you describe.

> Hope this helps,
> Dave Hinz

Hi Dave- thanks for the response.  I guess I was looking for more of a
client-based solution, as the laptop generally goes everywhere instead
of being a static system on the network.  smbclient is a good idea
though- although with the limitation of needing to run samba (or nfs and
a conditional server side script) on the laptop, something I tend to try
to avoid (extra services).

I've got a feeling that you may be right on just letting the backups
happen from booting into Linux- although not ideal (rebooting at times
to kick off a backup ) it may be a simpler solution without jumping
through too many hoops.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Scott

Cross-platform backups via tar/dump/other?

Post by daveh.. » Tue, 15 Apr 2003 11:39:12

Quote:> Hi Dave- thanks for the response.  I guess I was looking for more of a
> client-based solution, as the laptop generally goes everywhere instead
> of being a static system on the network.  smbclient is a good idea
> though- although with the limitation of needing to run samba (or nfs and
> a conditional server side script) on the laptop, something I tend to try
> to avoid (extra services).

Well, the folks at the Amanda project have probably dealt with just this,
I don't know offhand how.  When I had laptop backups as part of my
domain, I insisted that people who had important stuff would copy it off
to a mapped network drive (Samba share) to get it backed up - compliance
was low, of course.

Quote:> I've got a feeling that you may be right on just letting the backups
> happen from booting into Linux- although not ideal (rebooting at times
> to kick off a backup ) it may be a simpler solution without jumping
> through too many hoops.

It's either "elegant" or "scary", depending.  If you can get 'doze to behave
nicely with scheduled reboots, and just let your boot loader default to Linux,
then after the backup, you can have Linux reboot, tell the boot loader to go
back into 'doze, and you're set.  Might take some creativity (messing
with rc scripts or something maybe?), but could be interesting.

If nothing else, won't hurt the 'doze boxes to be rebooted nightly anyway.
(I know that sounds kind of snarky, but it *is* true, after all).

Dave Hinz

Post by Rev. Don Koo » Thu, 17 Apr 2003 14:39:21

>>> Hey all.  I know _one_ of these OSes isn't exactly appropriate for
>>> the group, but also that it's likely some of you have done exactly
>>> the same thing.
>>     Actually none of the operating systems that you mention are
>> appropriate for this newsgroup because this newsgroup is for the
>> discussion of UNIX systems administration.  None of the operating
>> systems that you mentioned are UNIX operating systems.
> Well, Don, I now see

        Happy to have cleared things up for you,
                        Don

--
***************************   Q: How many frenchmen does it take
* Rev. Don McDonald, SCNA *      to defend Paris?
* Baltimore, MD           *   A: No one knows, it's never been tried.
***************************
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/oldno7/TheFrench.mpg
Reluctant Yamaha YZF-R1 Owner

1. Cross-platform backup package

Anybody out there seen any good backup packages that support the
following platforms?

DYNIX/ptx 2.1
DG/UX 5.4R3.10
HP-UX 10.10
Solaris 2.{4,5}

VAX/VMS (would be nice, but probably not).

I need something with (at least) a text-based or command-line
interface, a way for users to request archivals, tape pools, and
reasonably flexible scheduling.  It'd be nice if upon EOT an operator
could put in a blank tape (which would then be auto-labelled/added to
tape pool).

| Please do not shoot at the thermonuclear weapons! -- Deacon     |

2. Adding Files to ISO image.

3. Free or Inexpensive Cross Platform Backup

4. Major Suse upgrade problems

5. Best cross platform backup software?

6. Can a kernel config file be too restrictive?

7. Cross-Platform Wav C library?

8. ANOTHER FTP SITE FOR NETSCAPE!!!

9. wxWindows 2.4.1 for cross-platform GUI apps

10. Announce: lib3d-0.1.7 - Fast, Free, Cross-platform 3d

11. Cross-platform Calendar Manager?

12. REVOLUTION CROSS-PLATFORM IDE LAUNCHED

13. (Open)LDAP server for cross-platform authentication..