rcp error .. cant work...

Post by yls1 » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 11:10:04

i have the following servers DEV, PROD. now i want to copy a file from
DEV to PROD. source is in DEV, target is in PROD. i did a  rcp source
PROD:/target but failed. the message is as follows

connect to address ::ffff:PRODIP: A remote host refused an attempted
connect operation.
Trying ::ffff:PRODIP...
connect to address 0.0.0.0: A remote host refused an attempted connect
operation.
Trying 0.0.0.0...
PROD: A remote host refused an attempted connect operation.

but now when i want to copy a file from PROD to DEV
rcp source DEV:/target and it works.

i did a man rcp
2 files /etc/hosts.equiv and /.rhosts.their configuration are as
belows

PROD
-rw-r--r--    //.rhosts
in /.rhosts --> got this entry DEV root

-rw-r--r--    /etc/hosts.equiv
in /etc/hosts.equiv --> got this entry DEV root

DEV
-rw-r--r--    //.rhosts
in /.rhosts --> got this entry PROD root

----------    /etc/hosts.equiv
in /etc/hosts.equiv --> got this entry PROD root

any help?

rcp error .. cant work...

Post by Ti » Thu, 10 Jul 2003 00:23:28

> i have the following servers DEV, PROD. now i want to copy a file from
> DEV to PROD. source is in DEV, target is in PROD. i did a  rcp source
> PROD:/target but failed. the message is as follows

> connect to address ::ffff:PRODIP: A remote host refused an attempted
> connect operation.
> Trying ::ffff:PRODIP...
> connect to address 0.0.0.0: A remote host refused an attempted connect
> operation.
> Trying 0.0.0.0...
> PROD: A remote host refused an attempted connect operation.

> but now when i want to copy a file from PROD to DEV
> rcp source DEV:/target and it works.

> i did a man rcp
> 2 files /etc/hosts.equiv and /.rhosts.their configuration are as
> belows

> PROD
> -rw-r--r--    //.rhosts
> in /.rhosts --> got this entry DEV root

> -rw-r--r--    /etc/hosts.equiv
> in /etc/hosts.equiv --> got this entry DEV root

> DEV
> -rw-r--r--    //.rhosts
> in /.rhosts --> got this entry PROD root

> ----------    /etc/hosts.equiv
> in /etc/hosts.equiv --> got this entry PROD root

> any help?

        File permissions look to be the problem.

        Man rhosts (certainly on Solaris and HP-UX & I daresay Linux) explains
this.

     "For security purposes, the files /etc/hosts.equiv and .rhosts
should
      exist and be readable and writable only by the owner, even if they
are
      empty."

        chmod og-rwx of your files may well get you going though scp or rsync
-e ssh may be more secure options.
--
         Tim Izod.

         Unix Systems Analyst/ TDM Administrator.

rcp error .. cant work...

Post by Barry Margoli » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 23:24:08

>i have the following servers DEV, PROD. now i want to copy a file from
>DEV to PROD. source is in DEV, target is in PROD. i did a  rcp source
>PROD:/target but failed. the message is as follows

>connect to address ::ffff:PRODIP: A remote host refused an attempted
>connect operation.
>Trying ::ffff:PRODIP...
>connect to address 0.0.0.0: A remote host refused an attempted connect
>operation.
>Trying 0.0.0.0...
>PROD: A remote host refused an attempted connect operation.

"refused an attempted connect operation" presumably means that the remote
machine isn't running the required network service.  Rcp makes use of the
same "shell" service as rsh, so check PROD's /etc/inetd.conf to see if this
service is enabled.

However, a better solution would probably be to use scp, which makes use of
the ssh service, which is more secure.

--

Level(3), Woburn, MA

rcp error .. cant work...

Post by yls1 » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 14:20:44

> >i have the following servers DEV, PROD. now i want to copy a file from
> >DEV to PROD. source is in DEV, target is in PROD. i did a  rcp source
> >PROD:/target but failed. the message is as follows

> >connect to address ::ffff:PRODIP: A remote host refused an attempted
> >connect operation.
> >Trying ::ffff:PRODIP...
> >connect to address 0.0.0.0: A remote host refused an attempted connect
> >operation.
> >Trying 0.0.0.0...
> >PROD: A remote host refused an attempted connect operation.

> "refused an attempted connect operation" presumably means that the remote
> machine isn't running the required network service.  Rcp makes use of the
> same "shell" service as rsh, so check PROD's /etc/inetd.conf to see if this
> service is enabled.

> However, a better solution would probably be to use scp, which makes use of
> the ssh service, which is more secure.

thanks, u are spot on!

1. Rcp from ok rcp to no good

I am having trouble rcp'ing to my Linux box. Am using Slack 3.6, for that
matter all the r commands are ng. I have added the hosts in question to
all the hosts.files, what am I missing?

Ted

2. grep/awk question.

3. getting rcp to work...

4. Panasonic CR 562 J CDROM ...

5. getting ftp, telnet and rcp working on a LAN

6. XFree is only trouble

7. rcp not working

8. Questions about rejected packets, Linux

9. The command 'rcp' won't work???

10. rcp not working

11. rcp doesnt work: protocol screwup

12. RCP not working