Samba Share question

Post by Chris Jacob » Wed, 31 Jul 2002 15:07:19

I"m using Samba on RH 7.3 (the non swat version) and I was wooondering
if it's possible to add a share so that, if I view the share on my
win98se comp, when I copy files from it to the linux share, the files
will be chown/grp'ed to user/group 'foo'. In Windows 98  it uses the
user named I'm logged in as, lets say 'bob', and I already have a share
that uses that name, so when I copy a file to the linux share I already
have it alwyas assgns the user and group for 'bob' (the 'bob' user I
have on the linux comp thats on the linux ).

Thanks very much.

Samba Share question

Post by E » Wed, 31 Jul 2002 21:48:23

> I"m using Samba on RH 7.3 (the non swat version) and I was wooondering
> if it's possible to add a share so that, if I view the share on my
> win98se comp, when I copy files from it to the linux share, the files
> will be chown/grp'ed to user/group 'foo'. In Windows 98  it uses the
> user named I'm logged in as, lets say 'bob', and I already have a share
> that uses that name, so when I copy a file to the linux share I already
> have it alwyas assgns the user and group for 'bob' (the 'bob' user I
> have on the linux comp thats on the linux ).

> Thanks very much.

more "*ng posting" | grep unix | wc -l
Quote:>0

Samba Share question

Post by Chris Jacob » Thu, 01 Aug 2002 07:33:56

Quote:> > I"m using Samba on RH 7.3 (the non swat version) and I was
wooondering
> > if it's possible to add a share so that, if I view the share on my
> > win98se comp, when I copy files from it to the linux share, the
files
> > will be chown/grp'ed to user/group 'foo'. In Windows 98  it uses the
> > user named I'm logged in as, lets say 'bob', and I already have a
share
> > that uses that name, so when I copy a file to the linux share I
already
> > have it alwyas assgns the user and group for 'bob' (the 'bob' user I
> > have on the linux comp thats on the linux ).

> > Thanks very much.

> more "*ng posting" | grep unix | wc -l

I beg your pardon? I'm sorry if someone rubbed you the wrong way or what
not, but please don't take out your anger on others.

Samba Share question

Post by Chris Jacob » Thu, 01 Aug 2002 09:14:18

Quote:> more "*ng posting" | grep unix | wc -l

And if you are implying that a Linux question does not belong here, well
then you're ignorant of the fact that Linux IS in fact a flavor of UNIX,
also thought of as a descendant of the original UNIX's.

I only ask that refrain from being so rude in the future.

Samba Share question

Post by Nicholas Bachman » Thu, 01 Aug 2002 10:15:20

>>more "*ng posting" | grep unix | wc -l

The OP is pointing out you weren't asking a Unix or Linux or Windows or
OS/2 question, but a Samba question.  The Samba project maintains
mailing lists and there are several newsgroups <---------- that way that
could probably help you.

Quote:> And if you are implying that a Linux question does not belong here, well
> then you're ignorant of the fact that Linux IS in fact a flavor of UNIX,
> also thought of as a descendant of the original UNIX's.

For the love of God, let's *not* have another thread over this.  We
don't care, really.

Quote:> I only ask that refrain from being so rude in the future.

Dude, get over yourself.

I'm sure will refrain, but in case he doesn't, this is from another
group's FAQ:
I hate this group! Where do I complain?
Probably you want the guys who run this group. Address mail to:

     Usenet Central Administration
     1060 W. Addison
     Chicago, IL 60636

They should be willing to help you out.

--
+ http://www.veryComputer.com/~nick                                   +
+ How valuable is my contribution? Share your feedback at Affero: +

Samba Share question

Post by E » Thu, 01 Aug 2002 20:38:37

> >>more "*ng posting" | grep unix | wc -l

> The OP is pointing out you weren't asking a Unix or Linux or Windows or
> OS/2 question, but a Samba question.  The Samba project maintains
> mailing lists and there are several newsgroups <---------- that way that
> could probably help you.

Thank you

Chris I was merely implying that this wasnt the best forum for this
query, I see from doing a search on google groups that you are indeed
a knowledgeable chap with a firm grounding in technical subjects

I was merely trying to help, in the same way I would help if I was for
example a pet shop owner and you came in with a dead parrot

Samba Share question

Post by Impalu » Fri, 02 Aug 2002 06:12:21

> >>more "*ng posting" | grep unix | wc -l

> The OP is pointing out you weren't asking a Unix or Linux or Windows
or
> OS/2 question, but a Samba question.  The Samba project maintains
> mailing lists and there are several newsgroups <---------- that way
that
> could probably help you.

FFS, what is the issue here? Samba is a part of unix is it not? There
are also mailing lists out there for commands liek chmod, etc, as well
as alsmot any part of unix/linux, but like the Samba lists, they are not
all known by everyone, and this group is for unix related questions, and
Sa,ba relates to unix.

Just my two cents, canadian.

Samba Share question

Post by Nicholas Bachman » Fri, 02 Aug 2002 06:28:46

> FFS, what is the issue here? Samba is a part of unix is it not? There

Think of it this way.  Netscape comes with or is avalible for many
operating systems, including Unix.  If someone wanted to know how to
change the default font size in Netscape on Solaris, there would be
better places to ask.  If someone wanted to know how to make it so that
is they typed "internet" at a shell prompt, Netscape ran, that would be
more on topic here.

Quote:> are also mailing lists out there for commands liek chmod, etc, as well

Quote:> as alsmot any part of unix/linux, but like the Samba lists, they are not
> all known by everyone, and this group is for unix related questions, and

Yeah, but there is a line between being OS related and being application
related.  This seems like a better question for a Samba list, for people
who know the Samba code.

Quote:> Sa,ba relates to unix.

> Just my two cents, canadian.

Huh?  Canadian?  Canada is /|\ and > for me.

--
+   Regards,                                      +
+   Nick                                          +

Samba Share question

Post by Impalu » Fri, 02 Aug 2002 07:38:01

> > FFS, what is the issue here? Samba is a part of unix is it not?
There

> Think of it this way.  Netscape comes with or is avalible for many
> operating systems, including Unix.  If someone wanted to know how to
> change the default font size in Netscape on Solaris, there would be
> better places to ask.  If someone wanted to know how to make it so
that
> is they typed "internet" at a shell prompt, Netscape ran, that would
be
> more on topic here.

Main-point noted, but that doesnt seem to be quite the same, since Samba
is unix only afaik. Netscape, being multiplatform, and probably biggest
on win platforms, has little to do with unix in itself, other then the
fact that theres a version of it. Samba, on the other hand, is mainly
unix (if theres Samba on have OSs then a flavor of unix/linux, please
correct me) and seems like should be an acceptable question to ask, at
least for the unix side of it (perhaps the "getting it to work with
windows 98" or so kinda question would not be appropriate here?).

Just my two cents, canadian

Samba Share question

Post by Michael Heimin » Fri, 02 Aug 2002 08:13:56

One could have given, the OP the advice to 'vi /etc/smb.conf' add
his share and restart samba. Or take a look at the docs
www.samba.org and use www.google.com check comp.protocols.smb or
even install swat if it his to difficult.

Michael Heiming
--
Remove the +SIGNS case mail bounces.

Samba Share question

Post by Nicholas Bachman » Fri, 02 Aug 2002 09:46:02

> One could have given, the OP the advice to 'vi /etc/smb.conf' add
> his share and restart samba. Or take a look at the docs
> www.samba.org and use www.google.com check comp.protocols.smb or
> even install swat if it his to difficult.

 From what it looked like, the OP wanted the files he created in his
Samba share to belong to another user (not the user he was logged in as)
by default.  I doubt this can be done without hacking Samba code or
working more-than-ususal Samba magic, especially on a Windows 9x machine
where the concept of ownership is usually moot.

--
+   Regards,                                      +
+   Nick                                          +

Samba Share question

Post by Impalu » Fri, 02 Aug 2002 10:04:45

> > One could have given, the OP the advice to 'vi /etc/smb.conf' add
> > his share and restart samba. Or take a look at the docs
> > www.samba.org and use www.google.com check comp.protocols.smb or
> > even install swat if it his to difficult.

>  From what it looked like, the OP wanted the files he created in his
> Samba share to belong to another user (not the user he was logged in
as)
> by default.  I doubt this can be done without hacking Samba code or
> working more-than-ususal Samba magic, especially on a Windows 9x
machine
> where the concept of ownership is usually moot.

Actually, it can be done quite simply, and documented.

One simply needs to add this to the share:

[someshare]
.
.
.
force user = foo
force group = bar

and thats the user/group that'll be used.

Samba Share question

Post by Nicholas Bachman » Fri, 02 Aug 2002 10:26:28

> Actually, it can be done quite simply, and documented.

> One simply needs to add this to the share:

> [someshare]
> .
> .
> .
> force user = foo
> force group = bar

> and thats the user/group that'll be used.

Guess you learn something new every day!  One might wonder why you
didn't post this in the first place... :-)

--
+   Regards,                                      +
+   Nick                                          +

Samba Share question

Post by Impalu » Fri, 02 Aug 2002 11:45:52

> > Actually, it can be done quite simply, and documented.

> > One simply needs to add this to the share:

> > [someshare]
> > .
> > .
> > .
> > force user = foo
> > force group = bar

> > and thats the user/group that'll be used.

> Guess you learn something new every day!  One might wonder why you
> didn't post this in the first place... :-)

Because I didn't know yet 'til I did my homework ;-p

---------
~ Impalus

Samba Share question

Post by Chris Harshma » Fri, 02 Aug 2002 13:23:31

Quote:> I was merely trying to help, in the same way I would help
> if I was for example a pet shop owner and you came in with
> a dead parrot

he's not dead, he's, he's restin'!  Remarkable bird, the
Norwegian Blue, idn'it, ay?  Beautiful plumage!

1. Samba Share question

I"m using Samba on RH 7.3 (the non swat version) and I was wooondering
if it's possible to add a share so that, if I view the share on my
win98se comp, when I copy files from it to the linux share, the files
will be chown/grp'ed to user/group 'foo'. In Windows 98  it uses the
user named I'm logged in as, lets say 'bob', and I already have a share
that uses that name, so when I copy a file to the linux share I already
have it alwyas assgns the user and group for 'bob' (the 'bob' user I
have on the linux comp thats on the linux ).

Thanks very much.

2. HELP!! Pppd daemon died unexpectedly!

3. Batch crop a single large image to many smaller ones?

4. Linux/Samba Machine & User Accounts for Samba PDC in samba-2.2.1a Question?

5. NVRAM CRC ERROR (LED -> F7B)

6. Samba worked, ran connection sharing, samba doesn't now.

7. Pentium profiling timers

8. Sharing MSAccess DB on the Samba share ?

9. Samba problems : can't read the shared dir, no shared printer

10. SMB shares will not share on samba

11. samba file sharing question

12. Samba share level security question