/etc/account (was: Re: locked my root account...help !)

/etc/account (was: Re: locked my root account...help !)

Post by Friedemann Buerg » Thu, 05 Aug 1993 04:01:26

: : [...]
: : This also shows why you can't lock someone's account just by changing their
: : shell to /bin/false or just a NULL field
Maybe this is a stupid question, but I do not understand this:
If the user cannot log in because he has an invalid shell, he
is unable to change that.
I followed the thread but I wonder what does the statement 'this shows'
actually mean?

Sincerely
 Friedemann Buergel

/etc/account (was: Re: locked my root account...help !)

Post by Jan Wie » Fri, 06 Aug 1993 07:08:50

: : : [...]
: : : This also shows why you can't lock someone's account just by changing their
: : : shell to /bin/false or just a NULL field
: Maybe this is a stupid question, but I do not understand this:
: If the user cannot log in because he has an invalid shell, he
: is unable to change that.

    FTP is also access to a system. So disabling interactive  ac-
    cess  only doesn't mean to lock the account (O.K. other's al-
    ready pointed out that well configured ftp...).

    You should also care for at(1) job's. With things like  that,
    a user may try to execute chsh(1) periodically, if setting an
    inappropriate login shell is the usual way of the system  ad-
    ministrator.

    My at(1) care's for account's, disabled in /etc/account.

Until later, Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me.                                  #

1. locked my root account out, by changing /etc/passwd - Any Ideas??????

Well, I didn't read far enough in "Essential System Administration": "Don't
change your default shell for 'root' without checking the location of ..."

I changed the /etc/passwd file to default to /sbin/ksh, instead of sh.

Bad Thing.  There isn't any /sbin/ksh.  Number 10 on the Sphincter Factor.

Can't log into root now.

I can still log in on another account, but, of course, I can't change
/etc/passwd back.

One little 'k'.  Rats. (and stronger language).

I have the root password, I just can't log in, because it finds no shell.

Help would be greatly appreciated, if someone knows a 'hack' to change the
default shell on login, or get to that file through other means.

I have a pretty good backup (brand new system, and brand new sysmgr[!!]), and
I can re-build the system from a .tar, if I have to, that has all of the
changes made since the system was built on Oct. 25.

I can still log on and make new tar files, albeit without access to some
directories.

Help, please, from Solaris experts????????

--
Bill Thomassen

2. SMC ethernet

3. locked my root account...help !

4. Setting-up a POP3 Server Behind NAT

5. root account locked - help

6. Installing Linux from IDE CD-ROM?

7. Help - locked root account :(

8. Problem with ibm thinkpad install

9. Help! LOCKED OUT of root account!

10. opening accounts from a non-root account ..

11. xdm doesn't let me in with root but I am in with other account

12. Screen lock does not work with root account

13. Root account locked!