how to register my host in my DNS server ?

how to register my host in my DNS server ?

Post by Kim Won Koo » Thu, 07 Jan 1999 04:00:00

hello.

I have made DNS server in our department.

so, i want to register my computer to My DNS server.

how can i do??

maybe My DNS server request  upper DNS server.

i tried to register /etc/hosts, and /usr/local/dns/root.cache.

so, if i use nslookup , server does not response about it.

thanks.

bye.

Post by Barry Margoli » Thu, 07 Jan 1999 04:00:00

>On Wed, 06 Jan 1999 18:54:57 GMT, in article

>>>More info please:

>>>Harware:
>>>OS:

>>Since virtually all Unix DNS servers use BIND, and it's hardware and
>>OS-independent, the above information is probably superfluous.

>>The information we really need is the version of BIND being used, since
>>BIND 4 uses named.boot, while BIND 8 uses named.conf, and they have
>>different syntax.  I'll assume BIND 4, since that's still what is shipped
>>with most commercial Unix systems.

>Except SCO Openserver which uses named.conf.

Are you saying that SCO Openserver has BIND 4 but uses named.conf?  Or that
SCO includes BIND 8?  Unless you claim that "most commercial Unix systems"
are SCO Openserver, I think I'm correct that *most* still ship BIND 4.  I
think Sun just started including BIND 8 with Solaris 7, for instance.

Actually, I'll revise my claim: most systems running commercial Unix
probably have BIND 4 on them.  Even if most vendors have recently upgraded
to BIND 8 in their latest releases (which I doubt), most systems out there
are not running the latest release.  There are still *lots* of sites using
SunOS 4.x, for instance; the servers were probably set up years ago, and
they're scared to touch them if they're generally working OK.

Don't bother cc'ing followups to me.

how to register my host in my DNS server ?

Post by Michael George II » Thu, 07 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Kim,

If you are going to be a DNS administrator you have to read the book.
It is not really that bad and will pay off.  Goto:

http://www.bookpool.com

and get yourself a copy of  "DNS and BIND 3rd Edition by O'Reilly".   It
is real easy to learn DNS by example, but it varies slightly from
platform to platform and there are now multiple versions on BIND.

Good Luck!
-Mike

Post by Barry Margoli » Fri, 08 Jan 1999 04:00:00

>I would hardly consider it superfluous.  From the text, it appears that there
>are 2 machines involved.  One is running DNS, one is a host that he wants to
>put into his DNS.  Nowhere did he state which, if either, machine is running
>UNIX, although you could assume by this newsgroup name that both are.

The OS of the machine that needs to be put in DNS is irrelevant; all that
matters is its name and IP address.  But I did assume that the DNS server
is running Unix, because of the newsgroup.

Quote:>                                                                    As you
>stated, most Unixes ship with the named.boot version of BIND.  If you knew the
>version of UNIX, and maybe even the version of BIND, there would be no doubt
>about it.  Granted, hardware wouldn't matter in this case, but as far as I am
>concerned, the more info, the easier it is for someone to help.

That's true in general.  But if I can answer without it, I won't make an
issue of it.

If I felt like being more helpful, my original response could have given
the answer for both BIND 8 and BIND 4.  I just felt like being terse.

Don't bother cc'ing followups to me.

1. Register linux host with static IP dynamically in Windows DNS

Hi

I have read many discussions about registering Linux hosts in a
windows environment, so that they can be found by DNS queries. Each of
them told to use a dhcp client. But I have a static IP.

I know it is possible: my windows machine also has static IP, is NOT
member of the Domain and still registered itself in DNS few days ago
when I changed its IP. Unfortunately i don't know which protocol it
used, but there is an option in Windows' network settings for
registering the host automatically.

Who knows which protocol it uses for this behavior and how to do the
same in linux?

I tries nsupdate but only get answers like "not allowed", "not
found", .. - but again, windows computers can do it..

Daniel Alder

2. Missing Man Pages

3. Redhat 7.2 client not registering in DNS server

4. NFS Errors...help!

5. Is it possible to setup a DNS server w/o a registered domain name

6. Can't get Flat Panel to work with RHL7.2

7. Register cisco router hostname in windows 2003 server DNS record

8. GCC

9. Is it possible to setup a DNS server w/o a registered domain name?

10. Help plz: howto make linux register its hostname with a windows NT DNS server

11. if DNS server was Windows based what DNS server software is avail?

12. NT dns server request to my LINUX dns server time out

13. using DNS server(named) and external dns server.