how to kill a process when kill -9 won't

how to kill a process when kill -9 won't

Post by Karen Alle » Wed, 18 Sep 1996 04:00:00

We have a cpio process that hangs from time to time. We are
attempting to figure out why it hangs, but in the interim, is
there any way to kill a process other than kill -9 ? I'm sure
the process is awaiting an interrupt from the tape drive, so
the kill just gets queued up behind that, and since the device
interrupt is never delivered, the kill signal is not delivered
either.

Has anyone written code to nuke a process and clean up the
respective internal tables and pointers ?

Thanks in advance !

Karen Allen

Post by Michael Moh » Fri, 20 Sep 1996 04:00:00

> We have a cpio process that hangs from time to time. We are
> attempting to figure out why it hangs, but in the interim, is
> there any way to kill a process other than kill -9 ? I'm sure
> the process is awaiting an interrupt from the tape drive, so
> the kill just gets queued up behind that, and since the device
> interrupt is never delivered, the kill signal is not delivered
> either.
> --

Not a good idea.  Programs like cpio, tar and others that work with the
tape drive generally have a number of files open; not just the tape
drive.  The tape device interrupt you think you are waiting for is a
release of all the file access control blocks in memory.  Crashing tar or
cpio causes wholesale swapping to occur.

Information Technology Group      === Phone: 64 9 307-9999 x8133
Auckland Institute of Technology  === Fax:   64 9 307-9901
PO Box 92006, Auckland, New Zealand =
If we have unlimited ability to think, why do we use computers?

Post by Simon Wing-Tan » Sat, 21 Sep 1996 04:00:00

> > We have a cpio process that hangs from time to time. We are
> > attempting to figure out why it hangs, but in the interim, is
> > there any way to kill a process other than kill -9 ? I'm sure
> > the process is awaiting an interrupt from the tape drive, so
<snip>
> Not a good idea.  Programs like cpio, tar and others that work with the

<snip>
You could always force an interupt from the tape drive by hitting the
eject button.  This seems to work when I get the same sort of thing and
I've never had a disk problem....yet ;-).

        Simon.

| Simon Wing-Tang                                                    |
| Systems Administrator                                              |
| Telstra Learning                 " If at first you don't succeed.. |

| http://www.alexia.net.au/~www/swt                                  |
| PH: 613-9295-4223                                                  |

1. A method to kill process that cannot be killed even with `kill -9'.

Try this method:
kill -9 non-killed-pid
/usr/proc/bin/prun non-killed-pid
/usr/proc/bin/pmap non-killed-pid
This method works perfectly with Solaris 6. Sometimes you can do it
without the "kill -9 non-killed-pid"

P.S. I don't know about other versions and about some hardware programs,
like tar.

Eugene S. Ilchenko, System Network Administrator
http://secinf.net/

2. ARGENTINA

3. Kill -9 won't kill a process

4. help needed to bring up a pcmcia modem.

5. kill -9 doesn't kill a process!

6. ioctl conversion : Sys V to PS/2 AIX v1.1

7. kill -9 doesn't kill a process

8. Telent & ssh: Form Image Too Large

9. kill -9 doesn't kill a process ?

10. Can a process kill its child if it's killed -9

11. Can't Kill Zombie processes, even with kill -9 (pid)

12. Problem w/ Quota => Can't kill Processes (kill -9 xx)

13. why can't I kill a process using kill -9 xxxx