legato networker backup rotation scheme

Post by Dharmend » Sun, 03 Nov 2002 04:50:09

hi,

I have been trying to find it for weeks. I have a letato networker
server installed. There is a jukebox and it has a set of 7 tapes in
it.

I have configured the clients and server to backup data from them. But
I am not able to achieve a proper rotation scheme for them.

right now, I have 3 sets of tapes ( 7 each). I use 1 set everyweek. So
the 1st set  gets overwritten on the 4th week. I read about the
grandfather-father-son algorithm, but I dont know how I can achieve it
in networker?

Also, one more thing. right now, i have labelled the tapes from
tape_001 to tape_0021 for the 21 tapes. on the 4th week, I put the
first set in (7 tapes) and relabell them to erase all the data in
there. Is there any other way of doing it?

I am kind of new to legato and am already confused with it. Please
help me.

Can somebody explain me in simple steps how to achieve the backup
rotation on it.

thanks

legato networker backup rotation scheme

Post by Michael Heimin » Tue, 05 Nov 2002 05:01:20

Quote:> hi,

> I have been trying to find it for weeks. I have a letato networker
> server installed. There is a jukebox and it has a set of 7 tapes
> in it.

> I have configured the clients and server to backup data from them.
> But I am not able to achieve a proper rotation scheme for them.

> right now, I have 3 sets of tapes ( 7 each). I use 1 set
> everyweek. So
> the 1st set  gets overwritten on the 4th week. I read about the
> grandfather-father-son algorithm, but I dont know how I can
> achieve it in networker?

> Also, one more thing. right now, i have labelled the tapes from
> tape_001 to tape_0021 for the 21 tapes. on the 4th week, I put the
> first set in (7 tapes) and relabell them to erase all the data in
> there. Is there any other way of doing it?

Opps, you shouldn't, Networker keeps somekind of db where which
file is, on which tape. Exparation time should be setup or if
needed reset manually, through 'nwadmin'.

However, there are tons of docs coming with networker, you might
want to take a look at, this is a newsgroup, not a help desk;)

Michael Heiming
--
Remove the +SIGNS case mail bounces.

legato networker backup rotation scheme

Post by Dharmend » Wed, 06 Nov 2002 13:29:48

Backup Rotation scheme

I read through some of the legato backup rotation schemes and found the
following way of doing a GrandFather-Father-son tape rotation.

3 sets of tapes ( 6 tapes in each set..7th---cleaning tape)

1st set --- Every Day of the week( son tapes)
2nd set ---- Every friday ( Father tape)   Clone full backup from the
son Tapes.
3rd Set --- Once every month ( GrandFather Tape) Clone from the Last
Full backup Tape.

There will be 6 tapes in the first son tray. There will be a full backup
on thursday and an incremental bbackup on the remaining days. On Friday,
Insert a new tape and label it . Then clone the thursday full backup
volume to this new tape. After the clone tape is created, take it out
and store if offline. Put the son tape back in the tray and do an
inventory. This will set the son tapes for the normal backup routine.

On the last day of the month. Insert a new Tape , label it and clone the
last full backup volume to this new tape. Set recycle to manual and take
the tape offline. Insert the son tape back and do an inventory.

All the son tapes will have a browse policy of 3 months and a retention
policy of 1 week . The 3 months browse policy will ensure that the
indexes will be stored for 3 months, so that in case of failure , we can
recover data from last 3 months of tapes.

The 1 week retention policy will make sure that the son tapes are
recycled every week.

So, we have a set of 6 tapes mon- sat will the lastest 1 week of data.
We have 1 Full backup tape every week and 1 Full backup tape every
month.

If the above procedure looks okay, I can implement it with our backup
system.

> > hi,

> > I have been trying to find it for weeks. I have a letato networker
> > server installed. There is a jukebox and it has a set of 7 tapes
> > in it.

> > I have configured the clients and server to backup data from them.
> > But I am not able to achieve a proper rotation scheme for them.

> > right now, I have 3 sets of tapes ( 7 each). I use 1 set
> > everyweek. So
> > the 1st set  gets overwritten on the 4th week. I read about the
> > grandfather-father-son algorithm, but I dont know how I can
> > achieve it in networker?

> > Also, one more thing. right now, i have labelled the tapes from
> > tape_001 to tape_0021 for the 21 tapes. on the 4th week, I put the
> > first set in (7 tapes) and relabell them to erase all the data in
> > there. Is there any other way of doing it?

> Opps, you shouldn't, Networker keeps somekind of db where which
> file is, on which tape. Exparation time should be setup or if
> needed reset manually, through 'nwadmin'.

> However, there are tons of docs coming with networker, you might
> want to take a look at, this is a newsgroup, not a help desk;)

> Michael Heiming

legato networker backup rotation scheme

Post by Dharmend » Thu, 07 Nov 2002 01:58:13

hi
Backup Rotation scheme

I read through some of the legato backup rotation schemes and found the
following way of doing a GrandFather-Father-son tape rotation.

3 sets of tapes ( 7 tapes in each set..7th---cleaning tape)

[...]

Dhar