XV 3.00c has grainy display

Post by Alexandre Fen » Wed, 09 Nov 1994 01:03:08

: I do have xv 3.00c compiled and working under Solaris 2.3 .  I'm
: hesitant to supercede xv V2.21 because I find the picture quality
: to be much more grainy in appearance that V2.21.  Is there some
: control I'm supposed to play with to get the display clearer?
: Has anyone else observed this?

Have you tried the '-8' option ?????

EUnet France
--

XV 3.00c has grainy display

Post by Joseph M DeAnge » Thu, 10 Nov 1994 02:36:01

: : I do have xv 3.00c compiled and working under Solaris 2.3 .  I'm
: : hesitant to supercede xv V2.21 because I find the picture quality
: : to be much more grainy in appearance that V2.21.  Is there some
: : control I'm supposed to play with to get the display clearer?
: : Has anyone else observed this?

: Have you tried the '-8' option ?????

Yes, I got several responses via email.  The problem lay in XV
trying to use 24-bit mode by default.  I was unable to figure out
how to create an app-defaults file which xv would read, so I opted
instead to compile 'force8' and 'owncmap' as true which seems to
produce the best results.  I'm still also unclear as to the difference
between 'owncmap' and 'perfect' options, but they both seem to work.

XV 3.00c has grainy display

Post by Stainless Steel R » Thu, 10 Nov 1994 01:50:17

Joseph> I'm still also unclear as to the difference between 'owncmap' and
Joseph> 'perfect' options, but they both seem to work.

-perfect causes XV to install it's own colormap only if it can't allocate
all desired colors from the root pallete, -owncmap forces XV to always
install it's own colormap.

--

http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/ratinox|of skin.
PGP Public Key: Ask for one today! |

XV 3.00c has grainy display

Post by Joseph M DeAnge » Sat, 05 Nov 1994 01:21:14

I do have xv 3.00c compiled and working under Solaris 2.3 .  I'm
hesitant to supercede xv V2.21 because I find the picture quality
to be much more grainy in appearance that V2.21.  Is there some
control I'm supposed to play with to get the display clearer?
Has anyone else observed this?

BTW, I, also had problems compiling this program.  I modified
callers of random() and srandom() to use rand() and srand()  in
xv.c and xvgam.c .  I also had to force a build for libjpeg.s by
going into subdir jpeg and issuing 'make libjpeg.s' .  I
also set xcmap.c to use string.h instead of strings.h .

Even with all that I got tons of warning messages due to xv's
K+R origins.