escape-k in unix shell

Post by yochu.. » Thu, 10 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Does anyone know how to get that 'escape-k' thing to work in a unix
shell where it will scroll through the previous commands you've entered?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

escape-k in unix shell

Post by Tony Curti » Thu, 10 Aug 2000 04:00:00

>> On Wed, 09 Aug 2000 14:47:52 GMT,

> Does anyone know how to get that 'escape-k' thing to
> work in a unix shell where it will scroll through the
> previous commands you've entered?

$ man `basename $SHELL`

The presence anf functionality of command line editing and
history mechanisms depend on which shell you are using.

hth
"With $10,000, we'd be millionaires!"
                                           Homer Simpson

escape-k in unix shell

Post by Tony Curti » Thu, 10 Aug 2000 04:00:00

>> On Wed, 09 Aug 2000 14:47:52 GMT,

> Does anyone know how to get that 'escape-k' thing to
> work in a unix shell where it will scroll through the
> previous commands you've entered?

$ man `basename $SHELL`

The presence and functionality of command line editing and

Post by Jefferson Ogat » Thu, 10 Aug 2000 04:00:00

> >> On Wed, 09 Aug 2000 14:47:52 GMT,

> > Does anyone know how to get that 'escape-k' thing to
> > work in a unix shell where it will scroll through the
> > previous commands you've entered?

You might try set -o vi. Works in some shells.

Quote:> $ man `basename $SHELL`

> The presence anf functionality of command line editing and
> history mechanisms depend on which shell you are using.

As does the existence of the variable $SHELL. ;^)

--
Jefferson Ogata : Internetworker, Antibozo

escape-k in unix shell

Post by Roy » Thu, 10 Aug 2000 04:00:00

In ksh:

export EDITOR=vi

Quote:> Does anyone know how to get that 'escape-k' thing to work in a unix
> shell where it will scroll through the previous commands you've entered?

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

escape-k in unix shell

Post by iqbalkhan » Mon, 14 Aug 2000 04:00:00

You have to set the histroy file in the .profile file
This will act same as DOSKEY in the MS-DOS

thanks
zafar

> Does anyone know how to get that 'escape-k' thing to work in a unix
> shell where it will scroll through the previous commands you've entered?

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

escape-k in unix shell

Post by Yerzhan Beisembaye » Sat, 19 Aug 2000 04:00:00

> Does anyone know how to get that 'escape-k' thing to work in a unix
> shell where it will scroll through the previous commands you've entered?

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Do set -o vi.
Use
<Esc> -   previous command
<Esc> +   next command
<Esc> / name      search name in command history

Yerzhan

escape-k in unix shell

Post by Little Pau » Thu, 24 Aug 2000 04:00:00

> > Does anyone know how to get that 'escape-k' thing to work in a unix
> > shell where it will scroll through the previous commands you've
entered?

> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.
> Do set -o vi.
> Use
> <Esc> -      previous command
> <Esc> +      next command
> <Esc> / name         search name in command history

> Yerzhan

Assuming youre using ksh (you do use ksh don't you?  if not why not?
<grin>) either use set -o vi

This will put the shell into vi keys mode, so almost anything you can
do in vi can be done on the command line.
esc k previous command in history list (up in vi)
esc j next command in history list (down in vi)
esc l left
esc h right
esc cw replace word
esc / search history list
esc i insert

etc etc... just a few of the things I use regular loik...

-Paul
--
The Little Paul with the Big Kitbag