HP 9000 performance question

Post by Cesar Baqueriz » Sun, 22 Jun 1997 04:00:00

I have the possibility to buy an HP 9000 as listed below

9000/800 G30
96 MB RAM 16 ports
6.0 GB Disk (mirrored) 4-8 Gb DDS DAT Drive
64 HP Power Trust US 3.0

The system is about 2 years old, and I am looking to compare performance
against (this might be silly) a ProPentium 200 system running SCO UNIX.

I am also looking to find

a) What might the system be worth?
b) Any major reported problems
c) Upgradability particularly for networking
d) Maintenance options
e) Specific performance comparisons
etc.

Any help appreciated

TIA
CDB

Post by Patrick Heckenlive » Sun, 22 Jun 1997 04:00:00

> I have the possibility to buy an HP 9000 as listed below

> 9000/800 G30
> 96 MB RAM 16 ports
> 6.0 GB Disk (mirrored) 4-8 Gb DDS DAT Drive
> 64 HP Power Trust US 3.0

> The system is about 2 years old, and I am looking to compare performance
> against (this might be silly) a ProPentium 200 system running SCO UNIX.

Cost not being a consideration, I would take the HP 9000 under HPUX over
the PPro under SCO any day.

Where I work we use an HP 9000 for our internal processing, and we use
Intel based SCO boxes for our software sales.  The PPro's work fine for a
20 person office.  As of 18 months ago, our HP 9000 was configured
similarly to the one you describe.  By the time we reached 100 users it
was getting pretty slugish.  We have since upgraded the memory to 256 meg,
added 6 more gig of storage, and added a second processor.  Our current
bottleneck is processor through-put, and we have around 150 users on the
system every day.

Quote:> I am also looking to find

> a) What might the system be worth?

If memory serves, my company paid something on the order of $50,000 for
our HP9000.  I don't know that they are worth used.

Quote:> b) Any major reported problems

Since this is a Linux news group :), I have had dificulty printing from
Linux to printers on our HP 9000 ever since we did our last system upgrade
on the HP.  As near as I have been able to determine, the HP lpd does not
like the BSD style headers the lpr on the Linux is using.  If anyone has a
solution to this one I would be interested in hearing it!

Quote:> c) Upgradability particularly for networking

See above.  As for the network card, we have yet to saturate the card at
150 users.

Quote:> d) Maintenance options

Get an HP service contract.  We usually use HP NetServers for our software
sales, so we have experience with HP service there and at our home
office.  I have been very impressed.  If the machine in question is under
contract and there is a problem with it, they fix the problem without any
arm twisting.

Quote:> e) Specific performance comparisons

See above.

Quote:> etc.

There is one thing that is worth mentioning regarding PPro and SCO.  Some
PPro based SCO boxes will kernel panic when printing through the parallel
port.  There is a patch that fixes this on the SCO web site, but it is
nice to know that this problem exists before it bites you on the behind.
:)

> Any help appreciated

> TIA
> CDB

Patrick Heckenlively

Post by Roger Bin » Tue, 24 Jun 1997 04:00:00

: I have the possibility to buy an HP 9000 as listed below

: c) Upgradability particularly for networking

Watch out for the OS licensing and upgrades.  The small print often
contains limitations on selling it, and what happens to buyers.

Roger
--

Software Architect           | the unreasonable one persists in trying to
Client Integration Division  | to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all

1. Security in HP 9000 - HP UX

We have HP 9000 - HP UX systems, where we are planning to
implement a security system, but we don't know which and
if it possible to find some kind of security system on
the network, e.g in the GNU project.

The security system shall contains functions like:
  - Preventing a user from changing a password back to
    some of the previously 5 used password.
  - Lock a user out, if he/she has failed three times
    when trying to log in.
  - For some users only allow logins from specified terminals.
  - Issue security alarms to the Superuser.

    etc

Any pointer will be appreciated

Roland Isaksson

2. Patch to enable PCI buses on all nodes of NUMA-Q

3. Problems with NFS mount from HP 9000, HP-UX 9.0

4. problem on using ctm..

5. FS $350: HP 9000 712/80 HP/UX (9.03) UNIX RISC Workstation 1.44 flop/32m/SCSI

6. Two Linux books from O'Reilly and Associates

7. Xmodem on a HP 9000 712/60 running HP-UX 10.20

8. Network Problems

9. HP 9000 Questions

10. Etherneting SCO box to HP-9000 HP-UX box

11. an HP 9000 hp-ux internals class anyone...

12. FS $350: HP 9000 712/80 HP/UX (9.03) UNIX RISC Workstation 1.44 flop/32m/SCSI

13. HP 9000 bus question