getty responding too fast

Post by Troy Hewi » Sat, 19 Feb 1994 09:20:53

My systems administrator has just hooked up a modem to the serial port of an
HP 9000.  When he enables the port thru /etc/inittab he constantly receives
'getty responding too fast' from the system.  When he lowers the baud rate
in /etc/inittab things work slightly better, but the system refuses to
respond to any incoming calls.

        The modem does answer/connect.
        You can connect from the system to the modem and send commands (AT).
        When a terminal is connected to the port, no login is ever received.

Any ideas?

Troy

getty responding too fast

Post by Miquel van Smoorenbu » Sun, 20 Feb 1994 06:38:54

>My systems administrator has just hooked up a modem to the serial port of an
>HP 9000.  When he enables the port thru /etc/inittab he constantly receives
>'getty responding too fast' from the system.  When he lowers the baud rate
>in /etc/inittab things work slightly better, but the system refuses to
>respond to any incoming calls.

You probably mean 'getty respawning too fast'. This means that getty gives
up on the modem line, a new getty is started by init, does the same etc. Init
notices this and after a while it stops the offending process to save system
resources. Check the following:
- The modem is configured to follow DTR and DCD follows carrier
  (Hayes: AT &C1 &D3)
- The modem cable is correct (flow control, DTR, DCD etc). This can be
  troublesome on some HP systems.
- You use the right port. For dialin. I _though_ it was something like
  (for example) /dev/ttyd2p0, while the dialout port (physically the same)
  is /dev/cua2p0. This is all from memory, though :)
- Modem echo is off. (Hayes: AT E0). Otherwise login gets caught in a loop.
- Save modem settings in non volatile ram (hayes: at&w).

Quote:>    The modem does answer/connect.
>    You can connect from the system to the modem and send commands (AT).
>    When a terminal is connected to the port, no login is ever received.

>Any ideas?

This may sound amateuristic, but it isn't. Get the serial FAQ for Linux, or
any other FAQ that mentions connecting a modem to your system for dial in.
The method of doing this is almost the same, if not identical. It might
solve your problems. (ftp to rtfm.mit.edu).

Quote:>Troy

Mike.
--
| Miquel van Smoorenburg        | "I know one million ways, to always pick |

getty responding too fast

Post by J.C. Webber I » Sun, 20 Feb 1994 23:22:43

Quote:>My systems administrator has just hooked up a modem to the serial port of an
>HP 9000.  When he enables the port thru /etc/inittab he constantly receives
>'getty responding too fast' from the system.  When he lowers the baud rate
>in /etc/inittab things work slightly better, but the system refuses to
>respond to any incoming calls.
>    The modem does answer/connect.
>    You can connect from the system to the modem and send commands (AT).
>    When a terminal is connected to the port, no login is ever received.
>Any ideas?
>Troy

Turn off command echo and response codes.  If your modem is hayes
compatable set ate0 and atq1.

The problem is that the modem is echoing the login prompt and the
getty thinks this echo is an attempt to login.  The login fails so
getty reissues a new login prompt.  The modem echos it and....well
you get the picture.

--

Silicon Graphics, Inc.          Tel (415)390-4120       Fax (415)390-6174
"Comparing Dos to UNIX is like comparing a mix-master to a chef's kitchen"

1. getty manages dial-in but responds already after 1st ring

Hi there,

I want to enable dial-in  to my Linux box via the POTS line using an
internal modem.

To do that I followed the Serial-HOWTO.

Everything works fine except that my modem takes over already after the
first ring.
Now, I want to lead an ordinary phone call, too, but my modem is faster.

How can I set up getty (using the conf.getty.ttySx file?) to let the
modem answer after, let's say, the 6th ring?

Thanks in advance, Martin.

--

13156 Berlin - Germany
Phone / Fax  +49 / 30 / 477 555 49

2. nmap testing UDP ports

3. Init & getty respawn too fast

4. Log view tool for iptables dropped packets?

5. getty respawning too fast or output stops at login

6. Help: Script

7. internal modem vs. serial port: getty respawns too fast

8. ftp from Win95 to Linux

9. respawning too fast? getty

10. getty 'respawning too fast: idle for 5 min'

11. getty respawing too fast?

12. Error respawning too fast...when setting up the getty

13. Is a getty server replacing multiple getty processes feasable?